I think I'm a pretty good planner, especially as it relates to planning ahead. My skill is especially obvious when it comes to entering grocery stores containing western food items; wow, I can plan ahead for an entire year. How many boxes of cake mix will I need? I'll just buy the HUGE carton of chili seasoning. Six boxes of graham crackers ought to last me at least...
You get the idea. When we were in the states, we had the responsibility of trying to buy those special items that can only be bought in the US - you can find cheetos outside the US, but Dora panties? No way. So, that's the priority of packing in my life. Velveeta and ranch packets and 3 Musketeers top the list as well.
Ok, I've made my case. I can plan ahead - but apparantly not when it comes to children's holiday activities. It never occurred to me at any point in my life before this December that I would want a nativity scene for my kids to play with and/or use as a teaching tool for the story of Christmas. That would be one of those things that will be VERY hard to find outside of the US. So, if you don't have one, the only option is to make one.
Thanks to Kristen's package (which served as the manger), wrapping paper tube trees, wooden spoon angels, some pipe cleaners, online color sheets and glitter, we now are the proud owners of a nativity scene fit for...well, fit for what, we're not exactly sure yet. I keep referring to it as our ghetto nativity, but in fact, the girls really like it and we made some special family memories making it together, so anyway, here it is. Nativity, asia-style:

You get the idea. When we were in the states, we had the responsibility of trying to buy those special items that can only be bought in the US - you can find cheetos outside the US, but Dora panties? No way. So, that's the priority of packing in my life. Velveeta and ranch packets and 3 Musketeers top the list as well.
Ok, I've made my case. I can plan ahead - but apparantly not when it comes to children's holiday activities. It never occurred to me at any point in my life before this December that I would want a nativity scene for my kids to play with and/or use as a teaching tool for the story of Christmas. That would be one of those things that will be VERY hard to find outside of the US. So, if you don't have one, the only option is to make one.
Thanks to Kristen's package (which served as the manger), wrapping paper tube trees, wooden spoon angels, some pipe cleaners, online color sheets and glitter, we now are the proud owners of a nativity scene fit for...well, fit for what, we're not exactly sure yet. I keep referring to it as our ghetto nativity, but in fact, the girls really like it and we made some special family memories making it together, so anyway, here it is. Nativity, asia-style:

5 comments:
Your nativity is beautiful!
And the creation of it did more to teach the significance of each part than any other activity you could have come up with......
Even when you replace it with an "upgraded" version.....save this one and cherish it.......
love you much
Marilyn
I think it's wonderful! It looks way better than I could ever do!! A friend gave me the tip to pack our nativity (besides it's a prized one my parents gave us after we got married), but the wooden nativity/advent calendar we saved is what Andrew and Laura are really loving this year. Each day they open another mini ornament to hang in the stable scene as we read the C story. Just a hint for your future packing... :)
Autumn
that's awesome! you are so creative!
Well...at least you didn't have me help to do it with play doh. hmm :)
It's a precious nativity. You always made the coolest stuff when you were little and you, Dustin, Holly, and KT would be in Holly's office :) making crafts. One of my all time favorites was the Pine Cone Turkey and the Santa Light Bulb.
Rachie: I loved your nativity. It says so much about you, honey. It is much better than a "store bought" one. I have my nativity at my big picture window==on that beautiful scarf you sent me --the shiny red one with gold stars on it. Anyway, Bob's Sharie arranged it for me--she is so cool in that area. Then I bought two beautiful tall red glass candle holders --and it is a lovely thing. Love you, darling girl
Post a Comment