Monday, September 22, 2008

inconclusive and other news

So we had this grand plan to get an ultrasound at local hospital down the street. We're dying to know if we should keep all our hand-me-downs, or start buying blue.


Complicating the situation is the "one-child policy", which prevents hospitals and obstetricians from telling patients the gender of the baby, in hopes that they will decide to keep the baby regardless. I was banking on the fact that since I was a foreigner, the would understand that the one-child policy does not apply to me, and it was safe to tell me the sex of the baby.


We all loaded up into our friend's tiny blue car, hoping for good results. As before, we made it into the doctors office in about 5 minutes, and into the ultrasound room in about 7. It's amazing...


We were all on our best behavior for the ultrasound technician, trying to befriend her but she was cold and stern. I didn't think we'd make it very far, but I thought I'd ask anyway. After the ultrasound was over (the mothers are positioned away from the screen, so I was unable to see anything :( I asked her what she thought.


"It wasn't very clear, and it's too early to tell anyway," was all I got out of her. I was disappointed.


After my quick weight and blood pressure exam, I asked the doctor (who has always been so nice to me before). She told me, "Well, it wasn't very clear but we tried to see. We didn't see any obvious evidences, but it was inconclusive."


Hmmm. Inconclusive.


I talked to the friend who went with us, and she was convinced that we got a pretty direct answer by Asianese standards. She thought it was the most direct answer we'll get, and congratulated us on another sweet girl.


We are starting to lean that way, and a second ultrasound came up with conclusion - a vague statement of "inconclusive...but maybe...a girl".



We'll be sure and let you know should we ever find anything different.

In other news...


It seems our city is getting its very first drive-through restaurant! It's a stand-alone KFC that they've been building for a while. Even though it won't be a great benefit for us (we have no car), it's still pretty impressive. I'm eagerly awaiting the prospect of watching "drive-through culture" develop!


You've probably been unable to miss the news about the milk supply here...and boy, it has really been crazy! It turns out that the fresh milk we have been having delivered to our house every morning for over two years is one of the dairies that is under investigation! We have stopped our milk delivery and are staying up to date on what milk is ok to drink. Emma is bummed that her job of "getting the milk" in the morning is over, but she's looking for work elsewhere. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have decided this is great news either way. Either Josiah will have a friend to play basketball with, or he'll have a wonderful girl to court. Bwahahaha Congrats on the "inconclusive" news!

Anonymous said...

Hey friend! I can't wait to hear the 'conclusive' news! I have been thinking about you and hoping that you are feeling okay!
Love,
Erica

Anonymous said...

Rach-
I "tagged" you in a blog game of listing things about yourself. Ignore it if you want- details on my blog. I didn't link to your blog because I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. Hope you're feeling well. When are you due?

Anonymous said...

Sweet Rach: So glad to blog again. Would love to hve seen you more but that is not always in the cards. I have had the surgery--never had anything hurt so much but ech day is better and each day I able to do more. I have been totally off the computer but am really making moe sense electronically than to write by hand. I am really hard to read, my dear. Loved all of you. I am beginning to loop out. Will write soon. Love love loe Nana