Wednesday, February 03, 2010

what I'm doing now...

It's been a long couple of days. Josh is out of town, and everyone except Abby has been sick.

There have been sweet moments of cuddling under fleece blankets and tired kids who just want to be near mama, but also moments of frayed emotions due to sickness and tired complaints from those same kids who just want to feel better.

It's just past 8pm and everyone is in bed. Abby is sleeping. Emma and Samantha are brushing up on "speaking England" while listening to the audio drama of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

I'd like to sit and blog. But I just feel too tired to think of anything creative. So I just sit here and mindlessly (well, sort of mindlessly) surf the net. Here's a random sample of things I've been clicking on...because you have nothing better to do than to surf the net with me, right?

  • Read this story about a couple from the Netherlands who went to Haiti to adopt a child and were killed in the earthquake. It was such a tragic and moving story, but I loved Dr. Al Mohler's take on the whole situation:

Adoption is perhaps the most powerful depiction of the Gospel found in the Bible. We are all orphans, born under the curse of sin. By the sheer grace and mercy of God, those who come to faith in the Lord Jesus Christ are adopted as sons. Redeemed sinners are adopted as sons "through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise and glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved." [Ephesians 1:5-6]

Arno Pet began life as an orphan, but he ended life as a son. He was abandoned at his birth, but he died in the arms of his parents. He did not die as Arno, he died as Arno Pet.

  • Decided to check out the Oscar buzz around Sandra Bullock's new movie The Blind Side. Have any of you seen it? What are your thoughts?
  • Read another post from Dr. Mohler's blog about abortion providers switching to the pro-life side. Some friends of ours out here are big fans of Dr. Mohler and I've found that when I want a biblical opinion that's well thought-out and educated, I end up at his blog. This article amazed me and encouraged my heart.
  • Fiddled around on twitter...feels like I'm eavesdropping on everyone. I can't get into it. Am I behind the times?
  • Read this message by John Piper on why C.S. Lewis was so influential to him. I must first say - I think I have an theological inferiority complex when it comes to John Piper and his sermons because I have to rewind them several times to "get it". But...reading the sermons? That works much better for me. Anyway, this was a fascinating read for me because I'd been troubled in the past by some things I'd read in Lewis' stuff and wondered how he was so accepted in mainstream, conservative Christianity. This sermon beautifully reconciled those two topics and left me hungering to know Him in ways that Lewis did and Piper does. If that's not the point of a sermon, I don't know what is.


I think that's probably enough random information for you for one day. I'm off to read - does anyone else like the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series as much as I do? Just wondering...

4 comments:

mlambchopper said...

Well..I've been wondering what you were doing..and how you were doing. Sorry to hear those babos are sick. We will all be praying for them to get better and for J's trip. But..as always..we're praying for you to feel good as you take of the herd. I'll have to research all your topics. I think Kate and Holly have seen "The Blind Side," and loved it. Maybe I'll get to go for..Valentines Day. :)
We love you, Rach..
Mom

Rachel said...

I hope y'all get all better super quickly!!! Sick + Hubby Out of town should NOT be allowed to happen!

Kim Lee said...

Sorry to hear your family's been sick. I know that's not much fun. I saw The Blind Side and really liked it. It's one we'll eventually buy (when it's on sale for less than $5). I thought it was a wholesome movie without cussing or any sexuality. And I've heard that it's pretty accurate to the real story. And the acting wasn't cheesy, which is often the case with movies that have a quality story or any kind of Message. And I am totally not into Twitter, so we can be behind the times together in that aspect. Wish I could come keep you company while josh is away!

Anonymous said...

Rach: I have not been back into C.S. Lewis for several years--but I remember having the same thoughts about him. How he could be accepted by conservative Christians--but reading and re-reading I cam to really love and appreciate him. I don't twitter--and really don't understand the world who hang onto to cell phones, texting, twittering, etc. I know nothing about most of these communication pieces--am nearly destroyed when I discover someone I really think I know spends much time on it. I am sorry y ou and the babes are under the weather. Bob and I have had that same agony--even felt too bad to do Sunday things. But we are better. WE pray for you--Nana