Wednesday, February 28, 2007

adventures in paradise

or, otherwise known as "a day without children."

yes, that's right...one of our days in thailand, we were able to leave the girls in childcare without any meetings or anything to go to except hang out with our team. So, our first order of business was to sit around and chat. And eat oreos. Double stuff oreos. With coke.

Then, we decided to go to hard rock cafe for lunch. what beats hard rock? not much. plus, my dad sort of collects (or maybe I collect for him?) hard rock shirts, and even though I have been to this place many times, I had yet to get him a shirt. So we went to hard rock for lunch. I had fajitas and josh had ribs. And we shared a huge plate of nice fat cheesy nachos. And we took a picture. then, after a leisurely walk back, stopping at starbucks for a lovely raspberry frappachino that you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BUY IN THE STATES but can buy in Thailand no matter what those crazy US baristas will tell you...we went back to our hotel and rented jet skis.

Jet skis seem to go so slow when you're watching them from the beach. But when you're hanging on to Mr. Eggroll for dear life as you rocket over the top of small waves, it doesn't feel like you're going so slowly anymore. In fact, I think most of the ride I was screaming. Most of them were happy, oh-this-is-real-fun-type screams. I think a few of them might of been screams of fear, though. Just don't tell josh. I told him I wasn't scared. :)

But then, when our time was almost up, Josh had the bizarre idea to make me try to drive the jet ski.

hmmmm.

So we go back to shore to trade places, and here's a rundown of the brief 60 seconds that I was piloting the jet ski.

Get on the jet ski...

manuever with great fear to shift my weight to accomodate josh hopping on behind me. Nearly crash.

Josh is on. Push the red button to go, but the jet ski guy wasn't out of the way. Knock him in the head with back of jet ski.

Get tangled up in boat anchor that is parked near jet ski. Jet ski owner guy falls into rope.

Josh is afraid jet ski will be taken down by boat anchor. Jumps overboard.

I alone am left. I inch my way back to shore. Immediately get off jet ski.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachel: I can see the entire situation--you write so well. I love knowing that you and Josh had such a good time toget her--those times can't happen all the time when you have two little baes. You all are doing so great---always love each other--always have good times together. Josh, I love you for the joy you have brought to our lives----Nana