So it is June 12th, and that means only five days until Samantha's first birthday. I have gone against all my better judgement and decided to have a party here at our house. I will be inviting some foreign friends and local friends so it will probably be quite the mix of languages, cultures, and assumptions about what exactly a birthday party is, but it should be fun. That is, apart from the fact that samantha is smack-dab in the middle of a seriously strong bout of seperation anxiety. If I leave the room, her world falls apart. It's crazy, I tell you. I'm sure it will pass, like every other phase I have worried through so far, but still...
So anyway, more about samantha since her birthday is almost here. One little known fact about her is that she is quite the scavenger. When she is tired of sitting in her high chair, she will make it so very obvious that she is ready to be out (ie, screaming and throwing her food). Out she goes, toddles over to her room to play with toys...only to return in a matter of seconds. Her little head brushes under the dining room table as she heads back to her high chair - to pick up all the leftover food bits that have fallen to the ground in the previously mentioned chicken discus event. She usually is very fortunate to find no small amount of food particles on the ground, to her great delight. She is samantha the scavenger.
One of our mosty enjoyable new mantha-tricks is like this: I (or josh, or emma) will sit on this little step in our living room and we will open our arms wide and say, "Samantha, can you give (mommy,daddy, emma) a hug?" and, patter-patter-patter, she will run from wherever she is with a bright grin on her face and collapse into our arms and nestle her head in that perfect spot by your neck. It's a great little trick that I welcome you all to come and experience!
Samantha's word count is about as high as her tooth count: 2. But she's got four on the way - and this could be applicable to teeth or words! We're still holding strong at two bottom teeth, but the top four are threatening to break through at any moment. Where words are concerned, she does mama, daddy, and hi really well. "Emma" sounds like "mama", but we know she's talking about emma because she looks at emma. She can also say "eeeeeeeeeeat!" and "all done", but that one sounds more like "aah dah". I think there's a few more that we understand, but maybe there's a bit too much parental bias in there to classify them as words yet. She also has quite the collection of gobbelty-gook phrases that sound like a mysterious and foreign language that has yet to be recorded, and we just smile and say, "oh really?".
Samantha loves to play with emma, loves to laugh when emma laughs, and increasingly likes books. Realize, I didn't say likes being read to because that's about equal to being tortured, but she likes books. She'll totter over to the shelf, carefully select one (with all the accompanying grunts it takes for her to get a book that is wedged on the shelf off!) and then tuck it under her arm while she goes about her other afternoon activities, like scrounging under the table, or checking out the bathroom, a very annoying habit of hers.
Her bright blue eyes shine and sparkle and make you wonder what she must be thinking in her head to have such happiness bubbling out - and then when she laughs, her eyes crinkle down and she cocks her head to the side and then you know for sure whatever it was she was thinking was certainly mischevious. She loves putting crayons in her mouth and then then abruptly putting them down as soon as she thinks you're watching her. She screams when she's happy and upset (that's one phase I thought would pass long ago!) She sways so heavily to any music that is playing you swear she'll lose her balance and fall over, but somehow she always manages to stay up and keep swaying. Her recent favorite has been "Twist and Shout" and hey, with all that twisting going on, what's not to love about that?
Anyway, even with all her recent separation craziness, it is with so much happiness that we celebrate her first birthday and remember that day when she joined our family.
Yes, that day that was June 17th. That day that was our anniversary. And with all the hubbub of planning her birthday, we just yesterday realized, "oh yeah, our anniversary is here too!" We both admitted we've just got so many other things we're thinking about, and then planning stuff for her birthday just makes our anniversary seem like an afterthought.
But, of course, anniversaries are not afterthoughts! Anniversaries - and friday nights, and scrabble games, and cooking nights in the kitchen together, and bedtime chats, and long walks in the park - are those special times when relationships are celebrated and protected. But in all fairness, it's just going to be impossible to celebrate samantha's birthday and our anniversary on the same day for the next 80 years (I'm giving myself a long life span). So what should we do?
Should we arbitrarily choose another date on the calendar which will be the day we celebrate our anniversary? That's my only idea to be able to properly devote attention to both very special events. What are your ideas? If you are in favor of arbitrarily choosing a date, how about you submit a proposed date? Drop your comment in the suggestion box!!!
And in the meanwhile, think happy thoughts about samantha. Videos went out in the mail sunday, so hopefully one will make it your way or be passed around to you. I'm toying with the idea of posting it our blog, but I'm such a privacy freak I don't know if I'm quite willing to go that far yet, but we'll see...
7 comments:
HA! Anna does the same thing with food - when she is done eating she pushes extra food off her tray and onto the floor, only to return to it later where she eats with gusto! Unless I am quick to clean it up and she is very disappointed.
As far as the anniversary thing - that is a good idea to just plan to celebrate it at a different date - cause the 17th will still be special cause it is the real date, but then you get to celebrate it twice. I would plan it for like a week after Samantha's birthday - so the 24th. Before a child's birthday it is all about that child - as you are experiencing - so this way it would give you a week to plan your exciting anniversary events!
About the video - I will send you my address - I forgot to do that - but I think putting it up isn't a problem! I guess I don't have privacy issues, but with our videos - if someone found them, that's okay with me - it's not like there is anything I wouldn't want others to see! :)
Okay - that was a really long comment - sorry about that! :) I am just feeling wordy!
I so agree with the special day selection and it is also a good idea to give yourself a week for the birthday celebration to settle down.
I do so hope we are on the video list.
As you know I love to read about your precious girls. Your stories remind me of Laura and Katie at those ages and those memories are precious.
Love you much
Marilyn
You know I am partial to June 15 because it is our anniversary, and we would welcome you right along on that day. However, each new year will bring a new challenge, so just find time to be together and celebrate your own day in your own special way!! After all if the first special June 17th hadn't come the second special June 17th wouldn't have come either.
~ Alicia O
You can open a YouTube account, and it has different privacy settings. You can post a youtube video on your blog. Do what you feel comfy with. I did that with Cayman's video a few months back. I really have only family & friends looking at my blog, so his funny laugh has not been pirated or sold over the internet, that I am aware.
You could pick another date if you think it would be difficult. What about the date you got engaged? Your first date? I don't know. Or you could just Plan on celebrating your anniv exactly 1 month later (july 17) every year... plan a special celebration, date, weekend getaway, etc. for that time each year just so it won't interfere with other life. You don't necessarily have to change the date, just the date you celebrate!
Happy Annive and Happy Bday to Emma. Whoot Whoot.... Fun Fun Fun
Happy (early) birthday, Samantha! I hope your party will be so fun! And Rachel and Josh, Happy Anniversary! I vote for just choosing a different time to celebrate: you could try to plan to sneak away for an hour or two on your anniversary, like a special date after the girls are in bed, having spent the daytime celebrating Mantha's birthday. Then you could choose a different time for a more extended special thing, if you wanted.
At any rate, have a wonderful weekend! Happy times!
Love,
Rachel
Well, I remember last year when we kept saying, "You all go out early in case you have the baby." But, our little Samantha just wanted to be around for the fun. So...as you know in our family....things always had some changes or detours...like on your birthday when KT was born and I had to miss your party. So...I'd just celebrate it always the day after. Even still, the more kids in the family..it seems like the more the plans get changed. It reminds me of the holidays and trying to cover all the bases and sometimes celebrating Thanksgiving on the Saturday afterwards. On this side of the world, we will always celebrate Samantha and remember your anniversary...all at the same time. Happy Anniversary and Happy 1st birthday to our sweet baby Samantha. I look forward to a time we can actually be there or you here to have the birthday party and then we'll keep the kids so you can go on an overnight for your anniversary. I love you Rach. MOM
We think you should adopt the asianese idea of two birthdays for your anniversary...ie to anniversarys. keep June 17th of course and then actually go out and celebrate on the day he proposed or something like that. Then you can still be asianese and totally be confusing by giving two dates when people ask you when your anniversary is. Respond with, "hmmm our REAL one or our weirdo made-up calendar one?!"
Happy Birthday Samantha!!
Post a Comment