So after a week of no blogging, this will be my attempt to shower you all with pictures and updates on every random facet of our lives, because I know you all want as many details about our lives as my mother does. So, here goes:
Samantha's birthday, in detail. Because again, I know you want details:
Being a mother meant that on the morning of June 17th, the first thing I thought about was the fact that my youngest daughter turned a year old, much to the disappointment of my husband, who should have had the first kind words and kisses of the day for his great work as a husband to me and a father to our two girls. The fact that I forgot to mention both of those things until after our afternoon festivities were over was quite the embarrassment to me; fortunately, he was forgiving!
Samantha's party was fun, though admittedly, not quite as fun as Emma's first birthday because so many of you were not there to share it with us. We were blessed to have several foreign friends and several local asian friends who shared the day with us, so it was unique in it's own right. I had made strawberry cupcakes with purple cream cheese icing for the "cake", and then a few other snacks - m&m brownies, chicken salad sandwiches, and then some fruit and cookies. I thought ahead and brought all of emma's leftover birthhday decorations from the states, so we had lots of "I'm 1!" things around the house. I hung balloons and streamers, and along with the 1 decorations, the house actually looked pretty party-ish.
Samantha was actually the receipent of my kind benevolence that day because I decided that, in spite of potential allergies to wheat and dairy, I'd go ahead and let her eat a cupcake. She was pretty hesitant at first, but after an initial warm up period, she was willing to eat the whole thing. That's definetely my daughter! Emma, of course, was delighted that on this special day she was allowed to have a cupcake AND a brownie!
For those of you at Emma's party, I did the same thing with signing the picture-frame mat; samantha's actually has a lot of character to hers because there's not only english written on hers! Our asian friends all wrote words of blessing on hers, so that will be a fun thing to have when she's older.
Since the party was at our house and josh and I were both occupied (last time celebrating a 1st birthday, we had only one child!), I have very few pictures of the actual party. These two were taken before the party, and are included to show you how cute samantha looked on her bday. She honestly looked just like a little birthday cake, good enough to eat! Her little shirt was crumpled pink eyelet material with a butterfly on it and a matching denim skirt. She's the cutest one year old I've seen in a while! (The fact that I seldom see other one year olds doesn't really need to be mentioned!)

And I was able to get this cute picture the day after her bday, while she was playing on the slide:
And, even though we asked people not to bring gifts, we still got a few. My house helper, who truly loves the girls, made some shirts for the two of them. Even though it's not typically the type of fashions I would usually dress them in, out of respect for her time and effort, I dressed them alike a few days after the party. So this cute picture was during their morning playtime, in the affectionately named "fishnet shirts":
and mantha by herself:
Emma News
Our morning asianese play times are still going really well for emma. One fun thing we've been doing is watching the dora asianese movies together, and then playing some games after the movie that emphasized different aspects of the show. Usually, I'll try to find all the items that were in dora's backpack, and then I'll put them in emma's backpack. After the movie, we'll all pull them out together and talk about what they do or what dora used them for. This particular day, dora had an umbrella in her backpack and Emma was just dying to open it.

Today was friday, typically not an asianese playday, so we fingerpainted! Even samantha got in on the action, but after she went down for her morning nap is when emma was really able to get dirty and have lots of fun with her fingers. She was excited and enjoyed the activity, but was very aware that her fingers and hands were dirty - a very common thread that comes up in her life. Is she going to be a neat freak? a girly girl? It seems possible...(but you'd never know it from this picture!)

And if I had a million dollars, I'd give it to emma when she wears this pretty pink dress because I think she's worth every penny of it (especially this day, when the curls in the back of her hair were like perfect bouncy spirals, just begging to be pulled!)
One afternoon while running errands, emma and I stopped at a little play park, and I had yet another reminder that emma is growing up - she used to be terrified of those little rope tunnels, but she navigated this one in a flash with no difficulty at all!

The Swimming Tradition
Today is friday, but sadly, we did not go swimming today. Josh and I were both feeling yuck today, but Josh has had really high fevers today and yesterday. Fortunately, emma didn't remember that today was swimming day, so we got off the hook, but tried to make up with fun evening activities for them. But, in honor of the friday tradition, here are swimming pictures from two weeks ago, when neither of the girls were too crazy about our new family tradition, especially mantha, who usually feels a little chilly and a little too far away from momma for comfort!

But once they were out of the pool, things were ok again! :)

Other stuff
On the nights that it hasn't been too rainy or too hot (which havne't been TOO many, but that's ok) we try to get out and go for walks or do something fun. This night, we decided to take mantha out of her stroller and we were so surprised at how much fun she had galloping down the sidewalks! Emma, being big sister, held her hands every moment, you know, to "help her", even though sometimes it did more harm than help. But they had a super fun time chasing each other and playing together. (You can tell emma takes her job very seriously!)

12 comments:
yayyyyy!!! So excited about all of your news! Glad samantha had a great birthday & glad emma enjoyed it just as much as her little sister. can't wait to see their new sibling!
I knew it! :) hehe! Welcome to the world of #3 on the way! :) What an adventure! You will soon be outnumbered!
So glad to hear that the birthday went well!
Had a blast talking to you late into the night the other day!
Take care and hope you both feel better soon and that this little one takes it easy on a busy momma!
Love,
Erica
congratulations! I am glad that I read your long posts. Perfect timing for agm :)!
oh my goodness rach! those little fishnet shirts on emma and mantha are probably the funniest/cutest thing i have seen in a long time. your house keeper is so sweet for making them. i loved all the pics! im so excited for you about the new baby...maybe youll get a boy this time:) im missing you all. love you dearly
holliferd
WOW!
Such wonderful news after those darling pictures!
I have shared the news here in Georgia and we are all thrilled for you.
I couldn't help but be reminded of Laura and Katie....Laura never like to be "dirty" and Katie was aleays ready to experience anything regardless.....
I know from experience that having three is wonderful. Each one so unique and special.
I do wish you a third child like Jacob. He was a very relaxed baby and fit right in.
Love and Congratulations again.
Marilyn
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! We are so excited for you!!!
Alicia and Rob
We are sooo happy. When you do come home someday, you might have to fly one of us out to help bring the troops home. : ) I loved having 4 children..all different..all unique. Seemed to me like people did think we were a big group...but, everyone always had someone to pair up with or against. Never a dulll moment..and fun drama! I love you so much and I know you'll be such a great mommy of 3. Just like nana! See your third will be like me. hmmm
Is that ok...reminding you of that..that I'm a third child? Dad and I really did think on this alot..and left it in His hands, I certainly can't wait to see what He has in store, Loved the pictures and I loved those fishnet shirts. I think she could sell them online. : O Also, Kt is like a third child..as she was in the second group of twos if that makes any sense. A baby like KT...fun times.
P.S. I am staying up on you all feeling better...so I might call you just to be sure J is feeling better. More eggrolls...what could be better????
I have turned into the crazed aunt. I am telling you the truth. I was showing the blog to melissa's mom betty, and i tell you what.. i went through all the archives.., like a mad woman. I didn't know how obsessed i was with emma and sam until 20 minutes later and i was still saying " oh but this one is even cuter" and "look at this one." They are my prized possessions that i want to brag about to everyone. Once you pop out that third one it will be even better :) love you
I CANT WAIT TO BE THERE FACE TO FACE!!! the caps are for emphasis. i MISS THEM AND YOU AND JOSH A LOT. like ALOT.
Congratulations on your exciting news! I have been eggrollmama news-deprived (!) as we are without internet most of the summer while traveling. I have (finally) figured out how to post and am in the process of starting our own "Great Adventure" blog. I'll keep you posted. We love you guys!
Autumn & family
OH MY!! OH MY!! You are catching up with me, little cousin... ha ha.
Congratulations. I love all the pictures, as always. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your wall! That looks amazing! If you have a boy, I have some clothes we can ship to you. As of yet, there is nobody else to give them to!!! ha. Craig & Michele might have a boy, so ?? we'll see. Missing you guys.
P.S. ahem...were you speaking of me?? (a.k.a. cousin that won't read long posts?) Because, I must confess. I skipped the last part and began to write a comment, when I read some of these other comments... and I realized... I must have missed something BIG. I had to go back & re-read your post... word for word, because I missed the huge announcement the 1st time! You little tricker...
Josh and Rachel,
Congratulations! We are so excited for your new little one. Rach, I hope you're feeling ok and that you have had a great time in the city down south. We love you all! Wow, three kids . . . that is a whole new level. Tell sweet Emma and Mantha that we miss them.
Love you all,
Rachel
Post a Comment