Lamenting the fact that my kids are growing so quickly is SO an excercise in futility. Not only that, but as I've recently discovered, there are a few bonuses with those kids growing; ok, so as the years pass it becomes harder and harder to get a good, extra-long hug, BUT getting older means...
- you go through the night without making your mama change your sheets! Woo hoo!! My hidden meaning here is that phase 2 of Emma's potty training - dry allllllllll through the night - has now concluded. And not just now, but now as of like, two weeks ago. She had a little extra motivation because my parents bought her a brand new quilt when we visited the G r e a t W a l l last month. She knew that unless she went through the night for a week, that pretty butterfly-and-flower quilt was staying in the closet. Plus, there was a brand new package of glittery Dora panties. There's a chance I might do the miraculous for Dora panties, too. :) But, anyway, the days of buying expensive pull-ups (aka, nighttime panties) are over and Emma is officially a big girl in the potty realm.
I guess a follow-up on the potty issue is that we did away with the little potty, and she now uses the big potty full-time. We've been doing this for several months now, with no problems. Until today, when heard frantic cries coming from the bathroom. Frantic, panicked cries. She had fallen in. Not totally in, but legs cockeyed, bum down...much like what a cockroach must look like as it gets sucked into a vaccuum cleaner. I went in and rescued her, cleaned off her wet rear, and encouraged her that potty time does not equal play time, a fact she must have momentariliy forgotten when she was bouncing on the toilet. Yes.
- you lose the pacifier. Can you believe that Samantha is the same age now that Emma was when we moved over heere? Seventeen months and counting. We had successfully trained her to recognize that her pacifier was only used for sleeping (she had to throw it in herself before she was allowed out of bed in the mornings and after naptime) but she was always happy for sleep because "Paaaa-Ceeeeee!" would be waiting for her. Whilst I was being massaged into happy oblivion last Thursday evening, Josh decided paaaa-ceeeeee time was over and she went to bed without it. Today is Monday, count that, FIVE days with no pacifier. And she seems to be ok without out, though she still does ask for it, hoping it will pop out of its hiding spot.
I do feel that Samantha has transitioned into becoming a pre-big girl. She walks around with amazing understanding of what's going on around her, and loves playing imaginary games like the feeding/diapering/comforting baby routine I mentioned earlier. She is particularly adept at puzzles, anything that involves speaking or imitating sounds - the things she can say! - dancing.
The last few days here at our house, though, have left me little time to dwell on these great childhood milestones, because out of the mouths of babes comes....throw up. My girls are feeling fine, but they have each had their turns (and sometimes multiple turns) giving me extra laundry to clean up. I have no idea why their bodies are trying so hard to expel things...maybe they really did finally drink too much bathwater. Hmmmm.
I'm off to the kitchen to start preparing my attack of my thanksgiving responsibilities. I gracefully bowed out of the mashed potato honors, since every time I make them they always feel a bit gluey and never quite right, so Amy will take care of that. Rachel will make the turkey and stuffing again, as well as the pecan and pumpkin pies. So actually, I guess Rachel is the Thanksgiving and we're just trying to pay for entrance with our extras. I'm sticking to easy things that can't be messed up: deviled eggs, rolls, cheesecake balls, fruit/veggie tray, and my newest undertaking, blueberry cobbler. My Luby's cookbook has been working overtime on me, as last week the Chicken Tortilla Soup was chowed down in quick, soul-warming fashion. The fab dinner rolls were a big hit too, but with Luby's, you can always expect a good roll.
We've got thanksgiving decorations, games, lots of food - it should be a great and wonderful feast - with plenty of reasons to give thanks. What things are you particularly thankful for this year? My list to come...
4 comments:
I got really tickled picturing Emma fallen in on the toilet, extremities flailing. Thanks for sharing. I've committed to helping my Granny prepare the big feast this year since my world-renowned chef, Aunt Brenda, will be celebrating with her family in Nebraska. I'm letting Granny take care of the turkey, dressing, and pies, and I'll be in charge of all things vegetable - mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, broc. rice casserole, etc. YUM! Hopefully it will turn out okay, and I won't kill anyone. =) Good luck with your own feast. And yes, we have MUCH to be thankful for this particular year!!!
I am so happy to hear that Emma has conquered any situations that would keep her from snuggling up with the beautiful butterfly and flower quilt from the Great Wall. I will never forget those little tears..actually big, big tears over the possibility of NOT getting to leave with the quilt just because that man was demanding a fair price :( for his quilt. I felt like Scarlet O'Hara at Tara looking up at the sky with my little fist clenched saying (if she were in Asia) "As God as my witness....I will not leave the Great Wall without buying that quilt that looks sorta like the one in the Pottery Barn catalog." What Emma and Mimi cannot live without....G somehow finds a way to make our dreams come true. And, I'll add nana in there as well. : ) So, I'm so very thankful that my oldest beautiful grandgirl will be snuggling up in the butterfly and flower quilt this winter. Could you please take a picture of Emma in her bed all wrapped up in the quilt? I will put in on the refrigerator and think about the adventure of the quilt and the Great Wall for years to come. As for adorable little Mantha..she may have to have her quilt ordered out of the Pottery Barn catalog. : ) I LOVE YOU! mom
Hope you guys have a wonderful Thanksgiving...and cobbler!
I'm thankful for you guys! Can't wait to see your girls again and for them to meet Eden. And I'm thankful for your witty stories that always keep us entertained!
Post a Comment