I had intended to post this at naptime today, but alas...my pictures are too big and I have to spend hours resizing so they won't fight with blogger...so now I've given the children a choice between two activities that will give me time to post these - a bath or a movie. And which do you think they chose? :)
Anyway, I am officially still wearing my pajamas adnd it is almost 7pm. Today was the first day in what felt like a long time that I didn't have anything that HAD to be done. We even had a fridge full of leftovers, so I didn't even have to think about meal planning or cooking. That rocks. This last week has kind of been a blur, and I suppose that's normal, what with it being December and everything. Except that we don't live in America and you think somehow we'd avoid that holiday rush or something, but it has seemed to follow us here.
I'm certainly not complaining - our holiday rush is a bit different, I suppose. We are definetly in the throes of the holiday season and yesterday evening hosted the first of three Christmas parties that will be at our home. And that's my subject for this evening - a Christmas party for asianese people. :)
The truth is, there are lots of ways that we are different from asianese people. Our ideas of "leisure time" provide one of the most stark examples, at least in my opinion. When I think of how I would want to spend an evening with friends, I'm imagining a cozy living room, a quiet coffee shop or bookstore, or an evening out at a restaurant with a few couples. All of these ideas to me offer quality time in an environment that is friendly to deepening relationships. "Time with friends" here usually means the loudest and liveliest way possible, often involving lots of alcohol or places that are packed to the gills with other merrymakes, thereby adding to enjoyment. These are situations we do not do well in.
I've hosted parties at my house before that would have fit in perfectly with my life in Oklahoma - quiet, just a few people whom I want to know better, brownies, candles, you get the idea. And they were flops. I mean, not that nobody had a good time, but they just weren't "asianese". I resolved this year would be different.
So this party was centered around my house helper, because so many of her close friends and family don't see Life the same way she does now and she hoped they'd have another chance to hear about it. New Leaf Issue #1 - I had her invite as many people as possible, no limitations. New Leaf Issue #2 - I didn't shy away from kids (something I have done in the past). New Leaf Issue #3 - I used group activities that would be loud and boisterous.
Might I say...the party was a great success? We're still awaiting results on the true measure of its success, but it looks on the outside like a success. There was noise, chaos, tons of people talking and shouting at once, kids running everywhere, balls flying across the room, an enormous mess...by asianese standards, definetely a success!! (Actually, we enjoyed it too, but don't tell anyone!)
So, the total body count was in at 12 adults and seven children, setting a record for the eggroll home. We had fab christmas decorations (thanks to josh's mom!) and napkins (that people opted to take home as a souvenir instead of using (!), decorated sugar cookies, we played a Christmas Trivia game, read the christmas story, sang carols, and somewhere in between those activities, every morsel of food I had on my table vanished.
Here's the photo recap:
Emma surveying the food, most notably the very tempting cookies begging for her artistic inspiration...




...while the men sat in the living room and talked...

Several times throughout the evening I coudln't find emma at all...then I saw her over at the table, spooning the icing out of the icing bowls with her fingers and picking up the sprinkles and eating them directly...who needs the cookies when you can get so much sugar that way?

Playing our Christmas trivia game...


The group picture - a must, it seems. :)

Me and my friend (also my house helper)
Finally, as the festivities died down and the sprinkles from the cookies had been satisfactorily sprinkled all around the house, everyone started making their way home around 10pm. Emma and samantha, full of sugar from their covert missions, acted as if it was 10am and not 10pm! We, on the other hand, were exhausted, but so thankful for the way everything went. We truly had a good time, and felt like we were faithful to the reason for having them. Next weekend we'll have another one, then our last one on Christmas eve. On Christmas Day, we'll go to our friend's preschool class to teach some songs and do some Christmas crafts. Whew, but what a great reason to be whew! about. :)
In other random news, here are cute cute pictures from recent days...
Last week, emma successfully used her chopsticks to actually get the food in her mouth, and I have pictures to prove it, but that will wait to another day. She was so jazzed!
ok, that's all for tonight.....





7 comments:
Rach,
I was just hoping for a new post from you tonight, and was going to call you to see how the party went . . and voila! You covered it all in this great post. I heard via the grapevine that the party was lots of fun, especially the group picture, the kids playing together, and the fact that all the food was eaten! (they must have loved it!) The pictures are great! Thanks for sharing!
Love you,
Rachel
What a great party! And I'm so proud of you for stepping outside your comfort zone to make it a comfortable (and fun!) night for your guests. Privacy and sense of order, huh?!...those will be tough for me too. But I want to let go of it for this. Thanks for giving me inspiration and some great practical ideas for next Christmas! :)
Autumn
So where did your black and white photos on the living room wall go? Did you take them down to put up Christmas stars? Thanks for the enjoyable afternoon reading. It's Sunday afternoon and we are relaxing! Paul and I co-starred in our christmas musical today. =) haha We played the parts your parents did back at the Rock. love ya!
Dearest Rach...
What a great success! I remember your telling me how difficult it is to mesh the two cultures. Those decorations are fantastic!! Just thinking of you doing those things inspires me to do more here. We did our musical at highland and I was so proud of dad. It was really hard music and he did such a great job directing. The drama was great, too. Isn't all drama great? he he Give all the lambchoppers and papa eggroll my love. Dust had his 27th birthday..we had to go to Charleston's w/o you. Nana and Bob treated! :)I love you, Christmas angel. MOM
well once again the pics are just too cute. I REALLY WANT TO come out there asap. I just cant wait to see emma and sam and of course you and josh!! I got a 94 on my spanish FINAL! i thought you'd be proud. maybe I should go to spain instead? haha love you guuys
That is a sweet, sweet story! I can see why you were in your pajamas still at 7pm...I may have still been sleeping after all of that! ha ha
Your little family is so stinkin' cute! I can't wait until I have the opportunity to meet your girls!
Thanks for sharing this story. It definitely started my day with a smile!
-All my love
Looks like you deserve a pajama day. I was trying to think back of the last time I didn't have get dressed and go to work (AT&T) or work (church) and I counted back about four weeks and gave up. Not that church is 'work' in the truest of work sense, but there's still deadlines, expectations, and schedules...which means nearly missing deadlines, not meeting expectations, trying to keep up with schedules and well, yeah, pretty much like work. So FINALLY a true day of rest...CHRISTMAS. Except for trying to be in two or three places at once, and the more I think about it, the more the Shepherds on the hillside were some of the last folks to experience the stillness and calming of 'Peace On Earth'. So stay in your pajamas as long as you can...once you get dressed, the REAL party's over.
Love you,
Dad
P.S. Gotta go. Christmas Eve and shopping to do and Candlelight Service to lead. Ho Ho Ho.
Post a Comment