Thursday, July 08, 2010

in no particular order

Whew! We made it back to the States and are starting to feel a little more like ourselves with jet lag beginning to wear off. I'm still not thinking terribly clearly, so I'm going to post a very lame bullet list with newsy items and some random observations and feelings from being in America.

1. My asia friends - I miss you guys! Thanks for all your prayers for safe travel and sanity! =)

2. My kids (all three girls!) slept 10 of the 13 hours on our flight! The remaining three hours were spent watching Toy Story2 and eating tons of candy. Ten hours! That's like hitting the jackpot!

3. The place we're staying at is big and roomy - probably twice the size of our apartment. It feels SO huge. We're all loving the extra space.

4. We just got internet access today, so please know I haven't been avoiding anyone.

5. First impression of Americans after several years? Tattoos! EVERYONE has a tattoo. What's up with that? [Seriously, that was the very first thing I noticed in the airport. Not 3 Musketeers bars, obese Americans, or the fact that Chili's had Chips and Salsa available to-go. It was the tats. Weird.]

6. My girls think that water fountains are the coolest thing ever. Water. That comes from a machine. That you have to stick your face in. They love it.

7. Wal-mart offers free disinfecting wipes you can use to wipe down your cart when you pick it up before shopping. That is awesome.

8. We walked out of our house the other day and left the doors completely open and unlocked - for the entire day. It seems we need to perfect our "going outside" routine: who gets kids in what car seats, who grabs the keys and locks the doors....we've got some adjusting to do!

9. In asia, we always bought the most expensive, softest toilet paper available. Let me just say that Americans totally have the edge on the softest plys! There is some seriously silky toilet paper here.

10. We've had tons of rain since we got to Oklahoma just a few days ago, but it's been fabulous to see the big mushrooming clouds and watch the storms come in. Oklahoma storms are a beautiful thing.

11. Went to the doctor today to have the first appointment of this pregnancy - good thing, since I'm 31 weeks. Got interviewed by Lifetime TV about having my birth shown on TV. I originally thought this was a very cool idea...now, I'm starting to wonder how I feel about 90 million viewers (their figure, not mine) watching me birth a child. That's just...weird? More on that story later.

12. Josh and I spent the morning together at the hospital by ourselves (for that doctor's appointment - the girls were with my mom and sister). We laughed together so hard, for so long that we were both in tears. It was so fun to laugh and enjoy each other and not have any big decisions to think about or make. I think I added about five years to my life today. =)

13. I'm going to bed now. Josh is already asleep and the sound of his breathing is making me tired. We'll be having doughnuts in the morning, and chocolate milk too. Thank you, America, for the 15 pounds I'm sure to gain before I have this baby!


8 comments:

Brandon and April said...

you are absolutely hysterical. your posts add 5 years to my life! :) ha!
ummmm, Lifetime?! WHA?!!!!
can't wait for THAT blog post.
can't wait to hug on your girls and eat some mexican food with you someday!

Rachel said...

Rach,
Totally agree with you about the water fountains! My girls LOVED them too! Wow, free, safe, COLD water available in practically every public place!

Thanks for missing us, we miss you too.

Way to go on the sleeping on the flight! Hope you were sleeping some of that time too!


So glad your place is nice, enjoy it!

What in the world is this about Lifetime???? WHAT IN THE WORLD?! Did this just come up? More details at your earliest convenience, please!

Love you friend.
Rachel

Anonymous said...

We have a Ted's over here on this side of the state. I know there's one over there closer but we'd love to buy you guys dinner sometime!

The Garrison's

Anonymous said...

I know you have a Ted's over there close but there's one over on this side of the state as well...

We'd love to see you guys and buy you dinner!

The Garrison's

Brigitte said...

I'm glad you made it safely and can't wait to read about your new adventures on the other side of the world. How in the world did you get all 3 girls to sleep that long on the plane? Were drugs involved?! Kudos. And wow, that would be AMAZING to have your baby's birth documented. I can understand your hesitation b/c I would be hesitant too, but how cool is that?! Yes, more details please!

sandra said...

Hilarious! I cannot stop laughing. Tattoos? Really? OK. Spill the scoop on Lifetime TV. Wow. 90 million. Can you guys not afford the 20% co pay? (just kidding!)

mlambchopper said...

Dear Sweet Asia Friends,

Thank you for helping Rachel and Josh and little girlies get home. I give you my word..we will take excellent care of them. May God honor your commitments and your love for Rachel and Josh. My heart is forever in your debt for your sweet gifts of friendship to my daughter. I love you.
Rachel's Mom

Rachel said...

You all sound blissfully happy and settled, considering you just got here!!

And you're right about the tattoos. I think I may be one of about ten Americans without one. I even noticed one on my OB-GYN'S ankle today!!!! Bizarre...