Friday, November 19, 2010

But Thanksgiving is coming!!

I was shocked when I ran into Walmart a few days after Halloween to discover a big Christmas tree right-smack in the entrance.

Christmas music piped through the speakers.

Christmas decorations front and center.

Christmas bargains splashed on the front cover of all the advertisements.

I know I'm going to sound old-fashioned and cynical, but...where did Thanksgiving go? I do realize I've been away for many holiday seasons, but it was the beginning of November!

It felt like rather than being thankful for what we have now, we're in a rush to buy more. Sheesh, no wonder Christmas has become so commercialized - they start so early that even the holdouts have to surrender after two months of Santa!

Well, I for one am not going to budge! I'll never surrender! My fall decorations will stay up until the day after Thanksgiving! (Erm....except for the porch pumpkins that were discovered to have worms growing inside them. Kudos to Brave Husband for dumping them in the trash. But there are pumpkins in my heart. Promise. They'll stay there until the day after Thanksgiving, too.)

I love the browns and oranges and yellows and reflecting on the Lord's provision and goodness to me in the last year and admiring the bravery of the Pilgrims and marveling at God's providence in the life of Squanto. I'm all about Thanksgiving!

This year I'll be making the traditional Marhsmallow Pilgrim Hats again (a great find from familyfun.com - and that's obviously not me in the picture! I grabbed it from their website) :
And I'm going to try these this year too...because they just look SO cute. There's always good reasons to keep candy corn around, and this is one of them! Yum!
Since my house helper is on another continent, I won't be making homemade rolls this year. =) We're looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving with our families this season and are truly thankful for all their love and support for us over the years.

What other fun thanksgiving keepers have you found this year? Crafts? Books? Recipes?

You'll stick with me, right? You'll keep up your fall decor and savor the season of Thanksgiving until it's over...right?

7 comments:

erica said...

I am a firm believer that because I cannot hit up any deals on Black Friday, it should be turned into a Christmas decorating and getting hearts ready for Christmas day. That needs a color I think... so that's what we do every year. Nibble on turkey, decorate, listen to Christmas music, and share that fun time together.

But until that time - I will also be enjoying the colors and fabulous Thanksgiving season... and I will make those pilgrim hats. Those are adorable!

Lori G. said...

Yes!! Thanksgiving. Not ready for Christmas :) But it IS a bit easier now that I have sort-of traded places with you...I just moved to the Far East and as of 2 days ago now have a house helper. And she's great so far. But we'll probably be having roast duck this year instead of turkey seeing as how I can't find one so easily around here. But I am totally enjoying the lack of Christmas commercialism! And will be focusing on the real Reason for it when it gets here!

BP said...

Welcome back to the land of commercialism!

rachel said...

Erica - hope your thanksgiving is great this year! You seem to have great parties, so I'm sure it will be a big hit!

Lori - thanks for visiting!I hope your transition to EA goes well; having a house helper makes the process SO much easier! I hope it all works out for you!

Becky said...

Rachel!!! I need to tell you several things so I am going to send you a message on facebook since I have like 9 e-mail addresses for you and don't know what's current.

sandra said...

OK girl. My sister hit up the after Halloween sales for our kid's costumes for next year. She went to one Walmart and they had nothing. She asked a manager about it and the manager said, "We boxed it all up and shipped it back." I suppose they make more money off the new Christmas items than the discounted Halloween items.

But that didn't stop my sister. Oh no. She is fearless. She went to another Walmart and found four costumes for $1.75 each - 90% off.

My Ayi just asked for two months off so I'm having to skim down the Thanksgiving cooking plans. LOVE your pilgrim hats. Thanks for sharing!

mlambchopper said...

Dearest Rachel,
You festived up our Thanksgiving with your cool Turkey chocolate cake and just all your fun little ideas. Having you hone was my best Thanksgiving gift. :)