Wednesday, November 03, 2010

the great debate

I can remember living in China and thinking wistfully about life in America.

It's so easy and convenient! I'd think. You can just load your kids up in the car!

Carseats! No wrangling of unbelted kids in taxis!

Stop off at Sonic to pick up a quick lunch!

Walmart - one stop shopping!

Now that I'm in America, I think wistfully about life in China.

My house-helper!

I'd love to have my house-helper!

I could get so much more done around here if I had my house-helper!

There are trade-offs, pros and cons about living in each country.

But I do believe that after all this wistful thinking these days, I've solved the great trade-off debate.

Walmart/Carseats/Sonic vs. House-Helper?

Hands down, house-helper wins.

The trade-off debate is good for my soul, though. It's good for me to be able to see the benefits of each situation and still be content with the situation I'm in now. It's good for me to recognize that each situation I'm in is from the hand of my good and gracious Father. It's good for me to read Paul's words and let them sink into my sinful soul:

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

Amen!

I'm not in need.

Sure, my laundry pile needs help. My bathrooms could use a lot of help. My to-do list could use some extra attention. But my needs - both the day-to-day provisions and also the deeper needs of the heart - have all been met by a gracious God.

Contentment surely comes from a heart that is thankful, a heart that doesn't have an "entitlement" attitude.

I'm so thankful for where we are. I'm thankful for the family and friends around us, thankful for each of the little people who call my name a thousand times a day. Thankful that the Lord is faithful to guide our steps. Thankful for the memories and friendships that are treasured in our hearts.

The Lord is good. Now let's go do some laundry...

5 comments:

sandra said...

Whenever we're in America, I find myself debating the two lifestyles as well. My greatest topic is the pace of life in America vs. China. I always feel like I should GO! GO! GO! in America, but in China I set better boundaries.

Brandon and April said...

Have I mentioned that I think you're awesome? I'll say it again. I think you're awesome. :) No matter what country you're in.
I long for the future days of having a house helper again. Those will be good days. :) I'll need to remind myself of that occasionally when we get back over there, but I think you're deep thoughts are right. Hands down, house helpers win over WalMart. :)

Anonymous said...

Rachie: How I love y ou. You always work out a good answer--straight from the Lord Himself--or Herself--whatever the local mood. Honey, we are so glad to hve you home--I imagine allof us would join together to be househelpers just to have y ou here. Nana

mlambchopper said...

My contentment is off the scale. To get to be with all my 4 grandchildren and have an OU party..what could be better?? Well, losing was mafan. But...holding Silas, chasing Abby, getting kisses from Emma and Samantha, and loving on my daughter & son-in-law..PRICELESS.
Thank you, Lord, for blessing me with 4 wonderful children, a precious son-in-law, and the BEST grandchildren on Planet Earth. God is an awesome God. He loves me..he gives me great and good things to put into my life.

Anonymous said...

How I wish I had a househelper!! I feel like I constantly do laundry - - so I feel your pain. I always, and I mean ALWAYS have a load in the wash, and a load on the couch ready to be folded and put away. eek.
Christa