Sunday, October 31, 2010

Thursdays - my second favorite day

If I had to choose, I'd say that Friday is my favorite day of the week. Friday is the day when all my kids - minus Silas, of course - go to "school" at a church down the street. They all LOVE their class and come home with typical school stories - who was wearing what, who played with whom, what their friends had in their lunchbox, etc. That means on Friday I get to do whatever I want.

Sleep.

Shop.

Read.

Talk, uninterrupted, on the phone.

It's blissful, really.

But if I couldn't choose Friday, I'd say that Thursday was my second favorite day of the week. Thursday is when Abby goes by herself to "school" and Emma and Samantha stay home with me. Thursday is the day I can plan for fun projects, things I can't or won't attempt when Abby is at home. Thursday is the day for imagination, creativity, lingering over ideas and crafts, reading, spontaneity.

This Thursday was particularly eventful. First up was a treasure hunt with clues that took them inside, outside and all around the house. The "treasure" was finding the pumpkins we were going to decorate that afternoon.

Next up was an experiment from our Apologia Astronomy book. We finally made it to Chapter 2 - The Sun! The experiment involved using a magnifying glass to melt a piece of chocolate.

We only used one piece of chocolate for melting.

We ate the other three.

Yes, we did.

We've been learning about the power of the sun, and this was a perfect day for demonstrating the sun's power. It's been chilly in the early mornings recently, so the girls were very skeptical of the sun being able to melt the chocolate.

But we got out our magnifying glass:

We observed:
And observed some more:
And the chocolate really did melt! It was fascinating! (I obviously never did this experiment in school, or I might not be so excited about the results.)

After the cool science experiment, it was time for our "color lunch". The girls decided on a color for lunch and had to plan everything we ate around that color. The chosen color was yellow, but when it comes to food you can tell there's a wide variety of yellow:
Once the yellow lunch was over, it was time to decorate the pumpkins we'd found in the treasure hunt. My plan was to decorate my own pumpkin based on this very cool idea and just give the girls some paints and let them go wild.

Even though Samantha is wearing a different shirt than the science experiment pic, it still is the same day. We go through the outfits around here!


In hindsight, next time I'll give the girls a bit more direction in their painting. I felt like they were just diddling around without a clear idea of what they wanted to create. I however, had a very clear idea of what I wanted to create.

I thought it turned out great!
We proudly displayed our pumpkins on the porch and then scurried inside to finish reading/phonics/math before Abby got home...and voila! Our Thursday was already over.

And then came Friday... =)

5 comments:

sandra said...

Your pumpkin was so beautiful!

mlambchopper said...

All my favorite pumpkins this year...on YOUR front porch!

Brandon and April said...

such great ideas! love the color lunch idea. fabulous. you are such a great mom. and super awesome idea having abby go to school on her own one day so you can have special homeschool time with Emma and Samantha. fun times!!

Anonymous said...

rach-
we had a meal at camp called yellow meal, consisting of mac and cheese, corn, and cornbread.
just some more yellow food options for next time:)
hollu

Rachel said...

All of those ideas are great! And yes, your pumpkin turned out fabulously!!!