My kids are SO over Dora.
Ok, not really. They actually still really like Dora - I know, gag me. Does anyone else think that the years of Dora-watching are like a rite of passage into motherhood?
Anyway, since I'm the one controlling TV usage, we only watch Dora when I seriously need a break under very dire and unusual circumstances. But there is a new show we've stumbled upon, and it makes the schedule every day. Every day. You're all on the edge of your seats, huh?
It's Sid the Science Kid. This little guy here:

There are several reasons why I really, REALLY like this show.
- They talk about significant scientific concepts in ways that my kids not only think is fun, but actually understand. Last week was all about levers, pulleys, and inclined planes. Topics like friction, decay, and reversible change have strangely become dinner table discussions.
- The show is funny for kids and entertaining for adults. I sit and watch it with them. It's not Pixar-funny, but it's definitely something I can sit through with a smile on my face.
- They do experiments and projects on the show that are EASILY reproducible at home; plus, the footage they show gets my girls interested enough to pursue trying things out themselves. How fun! The little scientists!
- They mix real-life video with cartoon animation. They show kids in classrooms, videos of animals, time-lapse footage of experiments...it's so fun.
Ok, so now you know I'm totally hooked on the show. [If you live overseas, Sid is available on itunes! Woo hoo!]
But today - yes, today Sid reached down into the depths of my heart and tackled a subject near and dear to me like no other.
Today was Sid's birthday. And he wanted cake for breakfast. And lunch. And dinner.
Sid, I knew I loved you!!
[You'll just have to watch the show now to discover if he got it or not!]
What about you? What shows do you love watching with your kids?

8 comments:
We like SID and Olivia the pig (they discovered it while we were in Texas and the LOVE it). I will agree with you - I am also SO over Dora. Good grief! So many of 'those' shows I just can't stomach anymore! My patience isn't what it used to be!
ps - so glad you took the time to post some pics of Silas!!!!
see, we were kinda the opposite. eden found a love for Sid over a year ago...a little too early for her to appreciate the scientific side to it. So she got worn out on it. And now only recently has discovered Dora (agreed...GAG!). So now she's on a Dora kick and it makes me insane. Just about every day, I remind her that Sid is on and she just doesn't get that excited anymore. Maybe one day!!!
I'm a classic lover of Sesame Street though. (not the elmo's world...double GAG!) but the other stuff is great for them and both Eden and Salem really enjoy it!
Ok arch.just set the dvr. We had snagged all seasons and episodes of The Magic School bus. But anxious to get hooked on Sid
I don't like the looks of the characters in Sid the Kid. We like Wonder Pets (Nick Jr.) and SUPER WHY (PBS). But I don't like how Super Why changes the stories to fulfill their mission. A little too relativistic for me. I can't believe I know these shows.....
Have you heard of "What's in the Bible?" (http://whatsinthebible.com/) We bought the DVDs, but of course Katelyn doesn't understand it yet.
This is a wonderful introduction of science to your children...it passes the Georgia Gwinnett College School of Ed stamp of approval.
Love you
Marilyn
OK..How could any daughter of mine be a Dora Hater??? Whatever. ;)
I'll have you know your father spent hours..not kidding..making DVD's of Dora to send with Emma across the ocean. How soon they forget. Hmmm... BTW, Abby likes Dora...when she is at my house. :) hehehe
And, we are so about Wonder Pets. So..take that, Sid the Kid. Anyways, for your information, I am at the moment DVRing Sid. I'm sure I'll love him. I just haven't had space with the 1000 Family Feuds we were practicing on..and the Wonder Pets.
I love you. Now..don't any of you eggroll lovers take me serious. She doesn't.
We love Sid, though with the debut of Dinosaur Train he lost his place at #1 show. =)
We are all about {read obsessed with} Little Bear over here. Dora comes on and she watches every now and then, but does not show much interest {whew!}.
Post a Comment