Wednesday, February 09, 2011

You may have heard...

...that we've had some snow around here recently.

A lot of snow, to be exact.
(Not that I'm using that as an excuse for not blogging...)

Besides just staying inside and avoiding the frigid air, we've done a few snow-related activities. Here's the beginning of our snow fun:

First of all, if the weatherman tells you you're going to get a foot of snow, it helps to live on a major street. That way, when the snow plows are out plowing off the highway, they'll help you out and plow your driveway too.
Good thing, because it's a looong driveway.
I mean, it wasn't so inconvenient...they were in the area.
Now listen - if you live in China, don't try this at home. BUT since we are in America, I thought it was the perfect time trying to make snow ice cream! (Can anyone out there imagine eating snow that fell from Chinese airspace? Really?)

I found some recipes online, but as it turned out, we just flew-by-the-seat-of-our-pants and figured it out as we went along. Each girl got a mug and a spoon and had to fill up their cup with fresh snow:
Yep - I'm that mama who let her kids go out with bare skin. It was only on the porch. And only for a few seconds.
We came inside and worked fast so it wouldn't melt. We added a bit of evaporated milk, a bit of cocoa, a bit of sugar:
and stirred it all around:
Adding sprinkles and chocolate chips makes little girls very happy:
It was surprisingly good!

In the end, it looked a little more like "Snow Soup" than "Snow Ice Cream", but they didn't care.
It was our first time making snow ice cream. I later found out that a friend of mine added coconut extract to hers...yum!

Do you guys make snow ice cream when it snows? What are your secret ingredients?

More snow fun coming soon...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweeties: I am always enthralled by your blog--snow ice cream--I never made any --never tsted any--but just the darling pictures of your little misses was wonderful. How could milk and chocolate chips be anything but good. What a fun family. Has the Highlights magazine come yet? I can hardly stand not to underline that but don't know how. Love you, Carollo family---Nana

mlambchopper said...

Highlights? Yippers. I did not know Nan had ordered that for you. You LOVED that when you were little. I mean...LOVED IT!!!!
Love the snow ice cream. I have never had it...or made it. So happy you did and shared. We love you, Mrs. Eggroll and all eggroll peoples. :) Thanks for bringing Sisey to see us. WE LOVE HIM!!!!