During a long and cold streak last fall, one sunny day surprised us all...so we stashed the books and homework and busted a move to the zoo! =)
We didn't get many pictures, but the giraffes were being extra friendly that morning so we lingered at their homestead for a while and watched other children feeding them leaves.
Never mind that the giraffes were probably so friendly because they were being fed leaves...and never mind that the sign clearly tells you NOT to feed the giraffes...and never mind that said children's parents were encouraging the leaf-feeding behavior. At least the giraffes weren't sulking under their shade tree; they were happily engaged with all the little people.
Engaged, as in "Watch out, your hair might be mistaken for a pile of leaves!"
Abby loved watching the giraffes, especially since she wasn't able to participate in the trip to the zoo where you feed the giraffes by hand. She was still swimming in utero.
Back in high school, I had a big thing for giraffes. I believe I even joyfully owned a pair of giraffe-print pants.
And, I also believe I actually wore them to Las Vegas once.
Somehow I had convinced myself that they were very cute.
Actual giraffes = cute. Me sporting giraffe pants = not so cute.
Hindsight is always 20/20.
Our zoo membership also gives us tickets to use on various rides. Basically, that means we can use it to ride the carousel since the seal show doesn't open for several months. The girls don't really care, though...because they love the carousel.
Hmmm.....Josh does too.

So now, welcome back to Spring 2011 and the parentals and I decided Spring Break would be a great time to take the kiddos on a trip to the zoo. Note to self: Spring Break is not the time to go to the zoo! Fortunately, we arrived and were done before things got too crazy!
Our zoo does have this fabulous exhibit where you can play and interact with lorikeets - which are so funny and beautiful. You can buy some nectar for them to sip on at an aptly named little stand called "The Nectaraunt".
It was funny to see my dad holding Emma - as I was looking through these pictures, it occurred to me that I seldom hold her anymore.
The lorikeets will literally walk all over you, especially if you've got that golden cup of nectar in your hand.
But you'd better be careful! On our first visit to the Explorikeet Adventure, a naughty little lorikeet snatched the cup of nectar out of Samantha's hand. She felt devastated that a cute little bird could be such a sneaky little thief! But we were prepared this time and entered the exhibit holding on to our nectar with an iron fist.
The guide told us that birds are attracted to brightly colored stones and tiny little blingy things on clothes.
And that one time, another naughtly little lorikeet snatched the diamond right out of a lady's wedding ring.
Wow. Sure glad it wasn't my ring!
Emma was sure all her bling on her shirt would attract a crowd. She was right.
The lorikeets will literally walk all over you, especially if you've got that golden cup of nectar in your hand.
But you'd better be careful! On our first visit to the Explorikeet Adventure, a naughty little lorikeet snatched the cup of nectar out of Samantha's hand. She felt devastated that a cute little bird could be such a sneaky little thief! But we were prepared this time and entered the exhibit holding on to our nectar with an iron fist.
The guide told us that birds are attracted to brightly colored stones and tiny little blingy things on clothes.
And that one time, another naughtly little lorikeet snatched the diamond right out of a lady's wedding ring.
Wow. Sure glad it wasn't my ring!
Emma was sure all her bling on her shirt would attract a crowd. She was right. 
I'd love to get another trip to the zoo in before it gets too hot, but living here in Oklahoma, it's hard to know when that might be!
1 comment:
We never go to the zoo unless we go with your family. I never went unless I was taking you kids growing up. Every single time....delightful even though tiring and worth every second of effort.
We'd love to go again before you go away. This was an especially fun time for me because Silas and I got to just hang out together a lot. Even though he was sleeping, his sweet face and restful napping with all the chaos going on around him, was refreshing to me....even with the wind swirling about...as it does on most Oklahoma days. What I loved was your saying how much you loved the blue skies that day. Honestly, I'd have enjoyed the day even if it had been misty or grey out...2 things normally I do not enjoy. The pictures of dad with the girls and the lorikeets (sp?) do not tell the whole story. I was afraid the birds would be scary, but your father seemed to be "the bird whisperer" that day.
Perhaps that is why he got me the cool bird feeder and puts up with my constant ramblings about birds.
Much love, Rachel....
Mom
Post a Comment