Friday, May 27, 2011

Down Memory Lane

I came across some old cd's tonight that contained pictures from the early days of our world adventures.

Early, as in...we had no kids. We were free to go here and there, climbing mountains and doing all sorts of dangerous and ill-planned things. We could stay up til all hours of the night (oh wait! I still do that!) and talk to friends.

It was so fun to look at these pictures from a few years back. Seven years ago - and yet as I look through these pictures, so much is different for us...but so much is very similar.

Seven years ago, the people and places in these pictures were unfamiliar.
Now, some of the people and places in these pictures are like our second skin.
Comfortable. Familiar. Dearly loved.

Would you like to walk with me down Memory Lane? You won't even have to put on your shoes....


Our friend John looks like the King of the World as he confidently steers a bamboo raft down a river in Thailand.

Josh is about to go Ninja on his raft pole:
The look on John's face is priceless - especially since a few minutes later he actually fell in the river. Camera, wallet and all.
Wrinkly old man in the mountains of northern thailand:
I did actually eat the fried silkworm:
If only Rachel knew how often she'd actually eat those dumplings...

My friend Chris and I doing some {*cough*} yard work:
Shots are just part of the deal now:
I just love this lady!

Rotee - the snack for anyone looking to satisfy your sweet tooth outside of America. Pure deliciousness!

The boy from the family that inspired our "no-coke-or-gum-til-you're-five" rule. And look how short my hair is, too!):
It sure seems like we're always packing...
Many evenings spent with these guys:
Strangers here turned into close friends through the years:

Long hair or not, this is one of the smartest and most capable people you'll ever meet:
He's always been very thorough...
Musical talent finds company:
This was the first "bungalow" Josh and I ever stayed in! Before this trip, I always assumed the word "bungalow" implied a little romantic getaway...
...but wow, my definition got smashed to pieces! We stayed up with Brian and Karl playing cards until we could barely keep our eyes open...hoping that we'd fall asleep quickly without thinking too much about the bugs and noises!
How about renting Bungalow 3 for your next anniversary?
I think this guy is laughing because he can't believe a big white guy just bought his little erhu.
There's several more picture cd's, so don't be surprised if Memory Lane turns into an Avenue requiring a longer stroll...

6 comments:

BV said...

Wonderful memories...Wow, I can't believe how fast time flies and how much our lives have changed. Thanks for sharing those pictures!

Rachel said...

OHHOHAHAHAH!
Great pictures Rach! Those are some classics!!!! I got some good chuckles out of those memories...you have different pictures than me so that's really fun. Thanks for posting them!

And for the record, I just love you too, lovely lady. So fun to remember those days again!

And I had never seen the romantic bungalow escape, wow, what a stay you must have had there. You're a better person because of it! :)

sandra said...

LOVE your short hair! So fun!

Anonymous said...

was i really that skinny?? thank you Braums for making me look more healthy--papaeggroll

Kim L said...

I'd forgotten about rotee. yum!

Donna said...

I don't believe Dad and I had rotee, did we? We'll have to put that on the list. I love these pictures. I wish we had a pic of all the luggage we brought to Thailand (when Emma was born) in that taxi! That taxi trip was memorable and interesting...including the ending! :)
Thank goodness Josh takes care of cheaters and pushy people w/o missing a beat. ;0