It's been a good week so far. We've been blessed by the prayers of old friends and blessed by the hospitality of new friends. We've been in and around the city and are slowly starting to get a feel for the place. There are so many differences between this city and where we used to live. For those that might be interested, here's a few of them:
Our new city is super hilly - think San Francisco hilly. That means there are very few bikes. It's hard to believe there's such a city in this country that doesn't have bikes, but there is! We're in it! Our calves have been sore each morning just from the little bit of walking we've done.
Our new city has lots and lots of green. There are lovely trees everywhere, but the truly amazing thing is that they aren't covered in a layer of dust. They're...clean. It's shocking, really.
The roads of our old city were generally laid out in a nice grid pattern - North/South streets, East/West streets. This city so far seems to be a jumble of twisty and turny roads. Getting my bearings has been tough for this reason!
This city has a reputation for being cloudy and depressing, but in fact it hasn't seemed that way at all. I think if someone were coming straight here from America, it might seem cloudy and dreary. But if you've lived in other cities here, the fact that it's cloudy and means that you can actually see the clouds is pretty impressive. So many cities here are blanketed with a layer of smog that I wonder if locals even know that clouds exist. Here, you can actually see the shapes of the clouds - which I think is pretty nice.
We had very low expectations of what the city would be like, so I think we're being surprised at every turn. Even though apartment hunting is slow, we have so much to be thankful for. The Lord has truly been gracious to us in leading us here.
Our kids are adjusting well. Silas is totally jet-lagging and has been awake from 2-4 every night except last night. (Maybe that's a sign that things are getting better?) I've carried him more in the Snugli carrier than ever and I'm sure my shoulders and neck will pay for it soon!
Abby is such a little extrovert. She's friendly and funny and says hello to anyone who will look at her. She poses for pictures and waves at toothless old ladies. She's a real charmer. She loves the freedom she gets in the taxi now that carseats are a distant memory. [I, on the other hand, do not love the freedom she gets in the taxi!] She likes chinese food and loves strawberry ice cream.
Samantha has probably been the quickest to adjust of all our kids. She has enthusiastically embraced the people and culture around her. She bravely uses her broken language skills to communicate with waitresses, taxi drivers and passersby. She loves the food and has had zero issues with jet lag. Even she commented yesterday, "I think I'm really getting used to it here!"
Emma still seems a little skeptical of it all, which is fair since she's the oldest and has the largest capacity to compare experiences. She's been concerned about the smell of the streets and her inability to communicate. She doesn't remember many of our previous rules - you must always hold a hand when you cross the street, you have to sit still in the taxi, you've got to pay attention to where you're walking - and the learning curve seems to be hardest on her. I feel like she's caught between being able to be "big girl" in America and having to start from scratch here. We've been trying to be thoughtful about taking extra time to process things with her and giving extra grace for her. She's gradually getting used to things though, and she's enjoying the fun stuff we've been able to do together. She's been so excited to eat some of her special foods again, and she loves playing with the other local children she's met.
We're all looking forward to having our own place soon. We're staying in a two bedroom place, which is better than two hotel rooms but still feels a little cramped for the six of us! So - maybe next week will hold more progress on the apartment search? Thanks to all of you who have kept us in your prayers and have sent words of encouragement our way! We really appreciate you!
9 comments:
Wow. I'm so thankful for lots of green that's not covered in dust & clouds. Happy apartment hunting! I can't wait to see what He provides.
Certainly, this blog brought much needed comfort and information. I think Silas is with me. I am sometimes awake between 2 and 4 myself. :) Prayed for skies that we pretty...clouds will totally do!
Wish I could just come and be Emma's personal assistant to adjusting back to the life she knew. But, alas, G-Pa cannot live without me.
I love you. Hoping a cell phone # or some # finds it's way into my possession soon. A week seems much, much longer on this end.
I love you dearly.
Momma
Thanks for updating us! I enjoyed hearing how each kid is adjusting differently. As well as the comparison between old city and new city. Here's to finding your own place soon!
SO excited for you guys and CAN'T wait to hear more!!!
Yayyayyayyayyyyyy!!! I'm gonna be thinkin' of you and the kiddos. The Father is supremely gracious. :)
Loved the update! Your writing makes me feel like I'm right there!! It's so encouraging to hear how He is working out his abundant care and provision for your family! Can't wait to have CJ and Heather read your post!
Love the specifics on how the kids and you are doing...so many adjustments to be made... Glad His grace is enough and sufficient for all the many changes!!! Your faith and patience is a testimony and encouragement since our family is getting ready for a Big baby adjustment:))
We miss you already but we know you're right where He wants your amazing family!
Tell everyone hello for us!!
Mindy
Hey! Glad you guys got there in one piece. Email me your # so I can give you guys a call!
Wow - I can't imagine the transition! I'm glad the city is nice though. And I wish you a full night's sleep in a new apartment very, very soon!!
Rachel: Nothing I can say but how I amiss all of you and how thankful I am that you have found a place to live. He is good--so good. We love you all so much. Nana
Post a Comment