Saturday, August 06, 2011

on the path to normal

We're finally starting to get settled here enough for me to pick up posting again to my very-neglected blog. We've made tons of purchases and our place is really starting to feel like home. Much of our furniture and household items were shipped from our 0ld city, so when we sit down to eat at our dining room table, it feels like catching up with an old friend. We had initially told the girls we'd take them on a Toys R Us date (there's one here in our city, can you believe it?!) but they've been so preoccupied with the toys that were shipped from our old city they've forgotten about going. So we'll save that date for another time.

Our apartment complex has a lot of buildings that encircle a common garden/play area. It has nice shaded paths and a central area with asian-style exercise equipment.

It's on a busy road, so there is some background noise. Fortunately, for the last 5 years we've lived next to highways so we're accustomed to it.
This is the view from my kitchen window. I love that from the kitchen and other windows, I can see almost the entire garden area downstairs. There will come a day when I let my big girls go down and play by themselves, but that day hasn't come yet! I want their language to get a little better and for the people in the complex to be a little more familiar with them as well.
Just across the street from us is another apartment complex with a beautiful swimming pool. Abby wears this awesome Puddle Jumper and jumps right in the deep end. All the locals are amazed at how fearless she is!
Emma has become a pretty good swimmer with all the practice she's gotten. We bought a 30-use pass and have been swimming about five times already.
Samantha loves chilling out at the pool and floating around in the swim ring. The older girls love playing with her and floating around with her. She's probably the most popular girl at the pool.
We had to buy new couches and furniture for the girls' room...and we're now enacting a spending ban and are putting off all future purchases! There's a local saying that says, "Move homes once, you're poor for three years!" We really identified with that statement after this recent move.

But now our home is really feeling like a home. There's noise and laughter in the living room, giggles and singing and still a bit of fighting in the girls room. There's the smell of fresh baked bread from the kitchen, candles from the bathroom, dirty diapers in the trash can...hey, I'm just trying to be real. =) Books are unpacked and line the shelf, just waiting for little hands to grab them up:
We're even settled enough for josh to go buy a replacement guitar (he left his good one in America). Silas loves grooving to the music!
So. Getting settled took a lot of time, but we're so thankful for this wonderful place the Lord provided for us. We've talked to a little preschool about the girls starting to go there a few mornings a week. An older lady has started working for us, making lunch and doing some cleaning. The girls and I even started easing back into the school routine last week.

We're all glad that things are starting to feel a little more normal.

9 comments:

sandra said...

So great to see you guys settled. Was that blue sky I saw? Nice. Would love to give you a call...

Brandon and April said...

oh my goodness...the blue sky! jealous!!! :) and that does look like a gorgeous pool! Can't wait to see some "after" photos of the place. glad you guys are settling in!

Rachel said...

Oh rach...this all looks wonderful! I'm so happy for you, everyone looks healthy and happy and I loved your descriptions of what normal look like (and hope I may one day yet attain to that wonderful state! haha). The pool is amazing! And it doesn't look dirty everywhere! So glad for you, you even found a helper, way to go. We love all you eggrolls!

Leanne said...

What a joy and blessing your post was! I am so happy to read about your 'settling in' and how your house has become a home again :) We pray for you often, and Julia asks about you all all the time. She misses Emma :) Your a beautiful family, and you girl have encouraged me so much in my motherhood! Love your family!

Brigitte said...

Your new apt. complex looks great!! So happy to see y'all are getting settled well. Hope to see your city someday!

Donna said...

Rach....
Of all things, the rain woke me up. It's 4:30 in the morning, and we are getting a tiny rain. I was so happy to see the blog...and the rain! :) I'm so happy to hear everyone is getting settled, and the pictures are just precious. The truth is...if I could...I'd be on the next flight out, sister. If these blogs don't pick up, you may see me sooner than you should. I love you so much!
Mother

Anonymous said...

Josh, the guitar picture appears that you are enthralled with that little son at your knees. You are both so dear. The apartment sounds just great--love that homey feeling. It appears that again you have hhit the jackpot in a wonderful place for the children, you and Josh. Tonight everyone is comng to celebrate Mindy, Kayleigh, and Randy birthday. I'm looking forward to it. Love you much. Nana

Kevin and Becky said...

i SO xian mu that pool! It looks about 10 degrees warmer than the crown plaza. i'm so glad you have yourself a little home, mama. now you're out of excuses not to respond to my texts! :)

Donna said...

Forgot to mention...Our Silas is so darling and cute...I could just eat him up! Yum yum! What a baby doll! Can't wait to visit and make faces with him on skype!
Much, much love,
Meemster