Friday, November 11, 2011

my girl is gone

The girl I refer to is not one of my three oldest children.  It's actually the youngest - the only boy I have!    Because of his curly and rather long locks, people usually assume that he's a girl - regardless of what color or style of clothes he may be wearing.  

I recently went to a show at Emma and Samantha's school and was asked so many times if he was a girl, I decided action must be taken.  The beautiful long locks must go.

I was going through some pictures from a few weeks ago and a few of them capture his curls perfectly. First of all,  I can see how people might think he's a girl:


 Sometimes, I think even Abby is jealous of his curly hair! (Ha! just kidding.)

Obviously, Abby is very thrilled about something in this picture.  Or she may be showing her extreme displeasure at some instruction I may or may not have just given her.

There's the fourth "girl" in the family again; he just looks so lovely!


Being a victim of paparazzi starts young out here:
 So...armed with a pair of safety scissors of all things - hey, I just grabbed what was close - and a toy computer to keep him occupied, I snipped here and there.  Such a pile of curls ended up on the floor!
 After the first pass, he definitely ended up more manly!  Not sure what's in his mouth at this point - probably bread or yogurt since that's all he cares to eat these days.
 I took a second pass the next day and trimmed even further.  There's lots of places where the cut isn't even and it took all of three minutes to complete, but I feel like the little girl look has gone.  A cute little man has taken her place! =)

What do you think?

6 comments:

Brandon and April said...

I think he's ADORABLE no matter his hair cut!! (I too, am jealous of his curls!! :)

Anonymous said...

He is just so darling. When I saw that pile of curls, my heart just melted. Didn't you hate to shear him. I am receiving wedding pictures today--as I am sure you are also. What did the girls think about the haircut? Nana

sandra said...

Please tell me you kept the curls. I'm sad they are gone, but it's fun to see your little guy.

Rachel said...

Aww!!! He looks adorable both ways, but the manliness is awesome.

I've been going back and forth with this decision for weeks. Noah's hair is getting sorta long and getting sorta curly and I just can't decide whether to keep letting it go or not. For now, I am. But I am sure that the day will come - probably sooner that I'm prepared for.

Donna said...

Well curls or not...Silas is adorable! The verdict was NEVER out on that! I felt a huge lump as well when I saw that mass of curls which had been cut off. I hope he is not like Sampson, Rach! I will miss his curls. :) Did you save them? We love you. Missed you in Cozumel. Kate got sick the last day....as in "Mexico" sick. She is recovering at home today.

Kaitlin R said...

I would like to say that I like the curls! Bring the back! We can both have sons that look like girls with long hair! Also I would like to point out that in your blog profile you say that you have three egg rolls not four.