Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Special times far away


This Friday, something very special is happening.  In a galaxy far, far away (well, actually just in North America) one of my sisters will be getting married. 

Married, I know!  I can hardly believe it. 

See, here's the deal.  I've got these two awesome sisters.  See below for proof:
                             hollynext.jpg

I got married and left the house when they were still in junior high.  I moved overseas before they'd even gotten their drivers licenses.  

To think about how much of their lives I've missed because of being overseas is sobering.  And sometimes when I think about it too much, it makes me really, really sad.

The last year we spent in America, though, was a good reminder for me.  Yes, I missed their first boyfriends.  The driving tests.   The first wreck.  The first breakup.  Graduation.  Moving to college.  Graduating from college.

BUT - when we were in America I determined that if at all possible, we'd have weekly sister dinners.  And we did.  My lovely sisters graced my home every Wednesday night during the year we spent in Oklahoma.  And you know what?  I didn't miss the first job interviews.  The first disappointment-in-not-getting-promoted. Ice-skating with the soon-to-be fiance. The engagements.  The dress shopping.  Seeing the real ring on the real finger, not just via skype.  I didn't miss the little things that happen that don't warrant their own category of "firsts".  

This year, we didn't miss out on playing outside in the Oklahoma springtime.

holly1.jpg
 Or getting some early fashion advice.
holly2.jpg
 We didn't miss out AT ALL on making (or eating!) chocolate chip gingerbread men.

We even managed to squeeze in going to see The Nutcracker together. 

 Dress shopping? So glad to add that to my list of "things I didn't miss".
holly5.jpg
 Even Silas didn't miss out on that!
holly6.jpg
 She's going to be a lovely bride, no? (And this wasn't the dress she chose! I won't be responsible for giving a spoiler here!)
holly8.jpg
 Holly, I know we've missed a lot of things, but my heart is full of all the things we haven't missed!  We have many special memories of times with you, and we're grateful to the Lord for giving us those times together.  All of us are loving you and thinking of you this week!  I'm not sure how the days have so quickly taken us from the days when I was doing your hair to the day when your hair is being done for your wedding!   The beauty of God's grace shines all throughout your life, dear sister!

Holly and Dustin, we rejoice that God has brought you together and we pray that your new life together will be full of evidences of His faithfulness to you.   We praise God for His good gifts - and your new marraige is one of those!  We may not be there on the beach with you, but our hearts and prayers are not far away.  

Congratulations, Holly and Dustin.  We love you!
hollylast.jpg



(The really awesome pictures in this post were taken by Melanie Webb.  The so-so ones were taken by Yours Truly.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like I am the first looker on this delightful blog. Hpw you have lifted my heart thhis evening, Rach. What precious pictures you have collected and what sweet memories you have collected. I left my blessings on that sweet pair this morning. All the Chilcoats plus Holly left today for the big event.