On Friday night, October 28, Josh and I were just recovering from a full week. That day and the day before, we'd spent the afternoon at our girls' school for performances and had guests for dinner. It was just after 9pm - the dishes were finally done, evening devotions given, prayers prayed, foreheads kissed.
For a brief moment, I kicked my feet up on the couch and thought about kicking on the computer to watch an NCIS episode with josh and chill out.
Then we heard loud, children-like noises in the hallway. Inwardly, I groaned - thinking it could be some of the moms in my apartment complex bringing their kids over to play...or speak english...or to whip up a chocolate cake. [The pop-in is a frequent occurence here!] I just didn't think I was up for visitors after such a full week.
The noises were too loud to ignore, but finally the knock on our door forced us to get up and address the situation.
"TRICK OR TREAT!!" yelled a rowdy bunch of ghosts, skeletons, and witches.
I was shocked. I'd never actually seen kids here celebrate Halloween. They giggled with nervousness; now that they were face-to-face with the foreigners, they weren't sure if they'd done it all the right way.
We quickly recovered from our shock to greet them and talk briefly with them. Then they held out their bags and said, "Candy?"
Strike out for eggrollmama. I had no candy in the house. Nothing.
EXCEPT - I did have leftover hamburger buns from dinner. I'd accidentally doubled the recipe and made way too many. If you all promise not to judge me, I'll tell you the truth - I totally passed around that plate of hamburger buns like it was the most normal trick-or-treating candy around. The kids giggled and grabbed them up, digging into them before they'd even left our house. (I guess you wouldn't want to put a hamburger bun in your candy pail anyway?!)
Yesterday afternoon, Emma was really curious about why there were trick-or-treaters at our house. She knows that we never celebrate Halloween and they know all our reasons why. They were surprised at why we were so friendly to them, why we didn't say anything to them about how they shouldn't celebrate Halloween.
It was a great opportunity for us to talk to them about how we want to be welcoming to anyone who comes to our door and to use all those opportunities to plant seeds that might grow into something later. Last year in America, I decided that if we're ever in America during Halloween, we're totally setting up a fun table in our front yard with hot cocoa or cider for the adults and a great bowl of candy for kids. We'll take pictures for families trick or treating, offer to print them and deliver to them the next day, let them sit and rest, chat, whatever. If they're coming to us this one day of the year, I want them to know we're available the other 364 days of the year too. A friend recommended some good reading on this very topic over at this blog. I think it's a great place to start thinking about how He is leading you to handle the Halloween issue. Lots of people will do it different ways and that's okay, but my only encouragement is to do whatever you do out of conviction, not tradition. What would He have you do with the holiday?
Ironically, we didn't have any actual trick-or-treaters tonight, the 31st. Maybe word got out that we're the Hamburger Bun house? Or maybe Halloween is still in its infancy here, and parents won't let their kids out on a school night.
Either way, next year we'll be ready - with more than hamburger buns.
[Pictures of hamburger bun distribution not available at this time because I can't find the cord to hook my camera up to my computer! Aargh!]
7 comments:
First of all. You MADE hamburger buns??? You get points for that right off the bat.
Secondly, I love your attitude toward it. It's here, it's a holiday, we might as well use it as an opportunity.
Wow..that's very interesting that people came to your apt. I barely get people at our house and we live in America!!
Well, first, you DO get major points for making hamburger buns!! We only had 3 trick or treaters at our house. I, of course, remembered last Halloween when you let all the kids go to the fall thing our office did at the Park. All 3 girls as princesses and Silas as a little pumpkin. This safe night under our supervision only to have a random dog dressed in a ballerina costume grab Emma on her cheek. Lions, tigers, and BALLERINA DOGS...Oh, my!!! After much needed ice cream from G-Pa, we settled in to watch the babos while you all went to the latest OU game ever to be held, I think. What a wonderful evening. I know in my heart next year....you will be ready. Ready as usual to present a good word at any time the opportunity arises.
Thought of you all so much last night as those 3 little girls came to the door.... 3 brunettes and none the right size or shape. But, truthfully, I was happy 3 little girls came to my door.
I love you,
MOM
Rachel: I am trying to suffocate my grat disdain for the Halloween thing. According to everything I read, people are spending more for this triack or treat thing --costumes, food, decorations than ever before. We had one lttle trick or treater--Miss Mea Ortiz --in a darling Indian Princess outfit and a headband. made by her mother of beautiful beauty shop feathers. She was darling and Laurie had called to say they were coming so we scronged up two miniature snickers and a $1.00 bill. Her news was that the new baby is to be a boy--we are thrilled and feel like Silas maybe broke the treand of females for awhile. Any way I, too, was impressed that you had buns--my stars, Rachel, how impressed I am. I love you little spooks! Nana
I'd trick or treat for homemade hamburger buns any day.
So you're saying you chose TRICK! (because I've never known your house not to have sweets)
I laughed several times at this! Way to go in throwing them for a cultural loop. And I'm totally with Sandra, I'd be all about the hamburger buns.
Post a Comment