Thursday, December 01, 2011

a friendly little holiday reminder

A group of local ladies I've come to love just left my house a few minutes ago.  What started as very superficial banter quickly moved to deep issues in their hearts and families.  They shared of so much disappointment, hurt, and frustration in their daily lives that my heart nearly broke just listening to them.

I was tempted just to empathically listen, but the more they talked, the more I felt an almost physical urge to share with them goodness and truth and wisdom that can change their lives.

As I sit here in my quiet living room - in my nice, cushy recliner, no less! - I can see the floors and floors of apartments across the street from me.  Most of the rooms have their lights off, but not all.  For those apartments with lights still on, I can see everything inside their home (assuming I'm looking, of course!).  And they can see what's going on in here too.

Now that we have our tree up and all our lovely, soft lights, I wonder how our house must look from the other side.  

As I pondered that question, my mind jumped back to the discussion with my friends tonight.  

Praise God, I don't live in darkness anymore! His light has come into my heart, and it should be prominently displayed in all my interactions with people.  

So as the holidays are in full swing over there across the ocean, here's a little friendly reminder to you all:

You are the light of the world.  A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.  Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many many blessings on you, darling granddaughter. You are doing just what the father would want you to do. Your living room looked lovely--so glad you have the lovely tree. I plan to write a long letter in a few days. Our family time at Thanksgiving was wonderful and then on the Saturday after Thanksgiving we had a reunion with all the Price relatives. Just great except my Car babies were not there. Lofe immensely-Nana