Monday, April 16, 2012

We won't be disappointed

I interrupt the vacation posts to bring you an epiphany I had tonight.

Many of my friends can attest to the fact that I have my most brilliant thoughts while doing the dishes.  I can't even tell you how many emails I start by saying, "I was thinking of you while washing the dishes tonight...."

Some people have their brilliant thoughts in the shower; since showers don't come as regularly in my world as other people, I've found that doing dishes gives me plenty of opportunities for time alone to reflect, pray, and wonder.

So, back to that thought.  I may have forgotten to mention that I've been on a Coke diet.  As in, I've not had a coke in almost six weeks.  I may write soon about what prompted all this (and the gracious way the Lord has taken care of me) but that's still not the point of my great thought.

While I was washing dishes, I started wondering if there would be coke in heaven.  I was imagining the delightful way a sip of cold coke bubbles around in your mouth, and I thought that surely such a model of perfection would be present in heaven.

I know that lots of people have joked about their favorite things being in heaven, since heaven is supposed to be perfect, yadee yadee yadee.  So it would only make sense that there would be a freezer full of Coke sitting in a corner of my mansion.  =)

Then the thought hit me - whether there's Coke or not, I won't be disappointed.  I may not even remember that there was such a thing as Coke that brought me such great delight.

And if that's the case, I still won't be disappointed.

Heaven will not disappoint.  Whatever is there, whatever is not... it doesn't really matter.

It will be better than we've imagined.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel--How I love the way you look at life and heaven. I guess it is in all you prefer ==manna or coke==or camel juice of coffee. Whatever ==heaven is a wonderful place--If I should get there first (which somehow it seems like I will), I will contact you. Many years of love to you, Miss Rach

Donna said...

Well, I was doing what I normally do these days when I had my own "epiphany" on golfing/golf courses. I was in a 2nd grade class giving a Bible Study Lesson. I come in and visit with your brother's new girlfriend...whom I set up and they are hopelessly in love....'fo reals.'
At any rate, I visited with the kids about not using God's name in vain; about being Godly, and the benefits of having a name which is found in the Bible. We talked of Daniel and James and the stories that went with them according to the Most High Book in the Land, Our Bible. We had a great visit and then the children were told by me....I will call on you only if you have something to say that is about Heaven or our Bible or about God. Every child said things that may astound you since they are usually interrupting with silly statements; profanity; or have inappropriate behavioral issues.
You see...we are a Title 1 school where behavioral issues on every level abound as well as children who have other special...if not severe needs.
The last boy, named Turner, wanted to give me a filmy strip with some writing about what I couldn't imagine. When I began reading it, I began to cry. It was the day after my Father's Birthday, April 19. It was simply entitled, "A Golfer's Prayer." I started it and became unable to read it. I explained why to the children and let Miss Stephe read it...fighting back the tears. It talked about a Golfer who was reflecting on his life of a hole in one (like my father) and the mishaps and blessings in his life. The Prayer was simply imagery of why he was hoping there would be places perhaps to play golf or enjoy something like that in Heaven. I began to understand why "imagining" what the things Heaven might be like....is a healthy thing. We know it will be lovely, pure, of good report...you know the verse in the New Testament regarding the things we are to think upon. So...for that moment...I hoped for Papa (or my Dad) that he "was" getting to play golf or that he was so happy he wasn't even thinking or remembering about golf. I did hope; however, that most recently when my baby daughter got married; in November when my middle daughter was married in Cozumel on the Beach; and, when my eldest daughter was married back almost 12 years ago, that when they were outside for the ceremony or to get pictures on the beach or take a carriage ride...he saw them all and "he" was well pleased that the rain stopped or refused to pour for that brief increment in time. I liked imagining he got to sense that moment. Someday if it's important when I enter Heaven and it's even significant...I'll ask Him. Otherwise, I'll be looking for a Dr. Pepper. I adore you, Rachel.
Mother