well, the day started out innocently enough. In fact, it was quite a good day. Rachel and the girls came over, so Emma and Clara Anne had a lovely time playing (as usual). We ordered Western food for lunch, so we had chicken wraps and spinach and artichoke dip - with a hershey bar for dessert! We chatted away as the girls played, and Rachel asked me what my plans were for today. "Oh, simple enough," I told her. "All I really need to do is go the atm, order an oven, and get milk."
"Wow," she said. Then, as if offering a bit of foreshadowing, she said, "Shall I keep emma for you so you can run around get that stuff done?" Well, I was thoroughly convinced I could handle it myself, so I declined her thoughtful offer. Trying to make the most of the time, I planned to leave as soon as emma woke from her nap.
4:30, emma wakes up. I look out the window and see that the rain from this morning has died down to a weak mist, and seemed very do-able. BUT, just to avoid the added stress of millions of asian grandmothers chiding me for failing to dress my children appropriately, I decide to bundle both the girls in shoes, socks, and hooded jackets (which neither of them have worn in thier lives, until today). I double-check the rain status before we leave, put emma in the stroller, grab my umbrella and head out the door.
As we walk down the block, I am clumsily balancing the umbrella in my left hand while at the same time cradling samantha's neck as she is riding in the snugli, and using my right hand to navigate emma's stroller down the bumpy sidewalk. The mist is still misting, but nothing unbearable. The 15-minute walk to the ATM goes by quickly, and we go inside and get our cash.
The moment the ATM spits out my card and I step outside, the heavens open and a downpour begins. But I dismiss the rain, figuring once I get inside a taxi, I will be well on my way to the appliance store and out of the rain. But, alas. After 10 minutes of standing in the downpour trying to use my body and the soaking umbrella as a human sheild for emma, I realize I forgot to take into account the fact that it was now 5:15 and everyone was getting off work. There was no taxi to be found.
Getting more soaked by the minute, I try my best to calmly weigh my options. I've already committed to the outing by loading everyone into thier respective carriers, emma in her stroller and samantha in the snugli. I've further committed by makign the jaunt to the atm and getting money. I'm already half the way done, right? So, I walk to the next corner, thinking maybe it will be a better spot to flag a taxi. Wrong. Full taxis fly by me, as I desperately try to wave down an empty one.
Then, I see it - the bright red sign in the taxi that signals it is empty. I wave my hand firmly in the air, trying to help the driver realize that I have two children with me, am soaking wet and am interested in getting out of this situation at any cost. He glances over at me, hesitates a minute, and DRIVES OFF!!! I stood there, not sure whether to cry or yell. I'm sure it was one of those random "no-taxi's-allowed-to-stop-here" parts of the street, but he could have invoked the "damsel in distress" exception. EVERYONE knows about the damsel in distress exception, even mean-spirited taxi drivers and policemen who give traffic tickets.
but, since he didn't stop, I figured it was time to bail on my plan for buying the oven today. I sloshed my way back home, this time making no effort to avoid the puddles I had previously avoided, because the street is pretty much all puddles by now. Emma's stroller is literally taking on water at this point, though samantha is nice and dry. As I ignore the stares of curious on-lookers, hold the umbrella and samantha, and push emma, I realize with a grimace...the walk home is uphill. The age-old, shania twain question surfaces in my mind: did i really shave my legs for this?
we make it home, eat dinner, give everyone their baths, emma is now in bed, and here I sit...nice and dry, with my coke and chocolate covered almonds. I guess life is not so bad after all.
3 comments:
You are such a fantastic writer...I laugh and laugh when I read your posts. Yes, I love the pics, but I love your musings more. Seriously.... you should be a freelance writer in magazines or something.
Ahhh....my heart connects with you on the chocolate covered almonds...dove I'm sure.
What a trial!! If only that taxi driver would have known that he would have been the hero of your blog I'm sure he would have stopped. Nevertheless he is nothing more than mean-spiriting guy who won't help the damsel in distress. You are sooooo hilarious in your storytelling.
Post a Comment