Thursday, August 31, 2006

the oven resolution

One thing you must know: Josh as been gone these last few days. I've been by myself (well, sort of...) once Emma goes to bed, so I've been a lot like my friend paul, whose spouse is also otherwise occupied and find myself mindlessly surfing the web and updating my blog. So it's fair to assume the blog may not be updated QUITE as frequently when josh returns. But, I ramble.

Today was a great day. My friend john (who is married to my friend Rachel) offered to keep all four of our children (who are all under the age of 2 - yikes!) so rachel and I could go get foot massages. We had a lovely morning full of uninterrupted conversation, and then decided to tackle the oven business together this afternoon.

You may be asking yourself what the big deal is about this oven. Well, essentially, all the foreigners who live in this asian country somehow meet all thier baking needs by using a toaster-oven type thing. Not only is it small, inefficent, and horrendous to try buying pans that will fit inside it, it requires events like birthdays, thanksgiving, and christmas dinners to be planned with military precision so that everything can get cooked inside its tiny shell. So, I figured that since we've got a big apartment, at least one foreigner in this city should make the plunge and get a full-size oven. Rambling again.

So rachel and I go to the appliance store and lo, and behold, the oven section is under renovation and NONE of the ovens I so carefully inspected were anywhere to be found. I asked the saleslady, and fortunately she remembered us (of course, we were identified as the people who were carrying the baby and with the cute kid). After some lightning fast discussion with a guy who appeared manager-ish, I am told that the oven I selected is being discontinued, and the only one they have left is the floor model. If I were willing to buy it, I would get like a 40% discount, saving me over $250! Of course, they warned me, it won't come in the box and we can't teach you how to use it since the instruction manual has been lost. Ummm...no worries, guys. I think I can handle that!

So, my friend john encouraged me to see the silver lining in my rainy cloud of yesterday - perhaps today was the PERFECT day for me to get the oven, and the discount, and so on. So, I paid my money and should be getting my oven on saturday!


In other, more interesting child news...Emma has four new teeth coming in, but they are all teeth in the back, like molar-type teeth. As far as front teeth go, she still only has her top four and her bottom three. We really wonder if that last bottom one is actually going to come in or not. She as also learned the word, "whoa", which she uses frequently if a loud noise happens, or if she is about to fall, or if the taxi hits a bump. Sometimes, she'll even ascribe the "whoa" to a certain person. If mommy drops something, she'll say, "whoa, mommy", and so on. What's really great is when samantha starts to cry, or drop her pacifier or something like that, she'll say, "Whoa baby!" :-)

I think samantha is going to be the strong, silent type. She's a great baby, don't get me wrong, but she seems to be pretty much content just watching everything around her. When emma was a baby, she seemed to be content being the one everyone was watching, and getting thier attention. but samantha doesn't really do much (yet, I suppose) to garner attention. She likes to hold her hands together now, which looks so precious, and she recently has started trying to hold the butterflies on her little bouncer seat. She does like it when emma bounces her bouncer for her (though mommy thinks emma does it a little too mercilessly!) and she gives emma almost as many smiles as she gives her food source!

Josh is coming home tomorrow, and we're all excited for him to come home soon. Emma has gotten the concept of actually talking to people on the phone, and since she has talked to josh a few times on the phone during his trip, she eequates the phone with daddy. She will see our cell phone sitting around and she'll bring it to me with big, hopeful eyes: "daddy?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there GERD (Gee's Egg Roll Daughter),
I swear by 'floor models'. Shoot, that's what E-Bay is all about...'like new' stuff, that's hardly been used. In fact, your mom was a 'floor model' and I've actually been quite pleased with her. Besides, stoves don't have a lot of things to break. If they quit heating up, you can always set them on their back, and make a nice planter out of 'em. You should certainly understand the ins and outs of 'ovens' since YOUR oven has been cooking up quite a few little eggrolls the last couple of years...nice cookin'!

Swirl Girl said...

Your dad is hilarious. Tell him to start a blog. I know he just has oodles of spare time on his hands since all his babies (and grandbabies) are gone.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for blogging. I love your stories!!