so this post is dedicated to my sister, Katie, who is trudging through finals week (and MacroEcon, which I foolishly recommended to her to take...) and needs a study break via eggrollmama's blog. :)
The only new news in our household is that we have instituted a budget. Yeah, I know...a budget. Those words just sound so grown up and so desperate. Though we are fine financially, mu husband ( ever the saver ) is convinced we need to try to live a little more frugally. So this month begins the invoking of the "no frivilous spending" rule. Somehow, unbeknownst to me, cokes and chocolate got categorized as frivolous spending. How, I ask you, are those ruled frivolous? With all the known health benefits chocolate can bring? With all the warm fuzzies I get in each bottle of Coke? My opinion was obviously not weighted equally in the decision making.
Well, ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. We decided together to try it for a month and see what happened - just dont' buy stuff we dont' need. Seems simple, right?
Another area of newly appointed frugality was taking a bus when we previously took taxis. This can usually save a few bucks each ride, provided the distance is not too long and taking the bus will cost you 1 hour and a taxi will cost you 10 minutes. So this afternoon, I had to run to the store to buy a few things, and since it's not far from my house, I thought I'd walk. I often walk to the store, and it usually only takes about 10 minutes. Savings: 1 local dollar.
Then, at the store, I only purchased the things that were on my list. No extras (maybe a first for me). Since I only had a few bags, I thought I'd take the bus home and walk from the bus stop to my house (only about a 5 minute walk) instead of taking a taxi. Savings: 6.5 local dollars.
When I reached my house, huffing and puffing from the effort it took to lug all my bags and my cute samantha back home, I had a brainstorm: with all the money I saved, I could buy two (forbidden) cokes for us to drink with our frito chili pie dinner and still have money leftover!
So maybe in the end I didn't end up saving any money at all...but it sure felt like it!
3 comments:
OH MY:)
I am all for saving but Chocolate and coke..... REALLY!
And at Christmas too!
Honey, I'm teasing...I think your plan is commendable. Saving is always a good idea and more than that the self discipline is good for us all.
We had a wonderful experience this past Sunday.
I am going to send you the digital version.
We are completing a series on "walk across the room" and it really brought your family to mind.
The key is to remember that we are each just a link in the chain, from all those whose lives we touch to the source of love.
Gotta go make like a professor.
Love you much
Marilyn
thanks rach for the blog. i love all your funny stories. maybe ill start a blog soon and tell you all my funny stories.. or just tell you jokes on it cuz we all know how good of a joke teller i am. write when you can. ill just re read old posts if there isnt a new one. hah im obsessed with this thing. i love you once again and cant wait to talk to you again,
Rachie: Your walk on the blog reminded me of the two times I r an out of gas--both while I was pregnant with Laura during l00 degree weather. Needless to say--I have never run out of gas since then. Honey, I am all for balancing the coke against the saving on the bus trip. Did you have something to push Samantha in? How I love you. Nana
Post a Comment