Sunday, May 06, 2007

beware: previously uncharted territory ahead

I've sometimes joked to people that I didn't really grow up until I moved to asia. I would say that is generally true (especially since I came just after graduating from college), but in no area is that more true than in the kitchen. Now, I'm not like a Michelin 5-star or diamond or whatever kind of chef, but I think we usually eat pretty good around here. I've even found that a little confidence in the kitchen works wonders on your willingness to host people - I used to dread what I would make if company came over, but now I enjoy planning things that people will enjoy and that I know I can make.

Since moving to asia-land, I have successfully mastered lots of things: macaroni and cheese, chicken fingers (you've gotta have kid-friendly fare), fried potatoes,tasty casseroles and hearty stews, homemade breads and rolls, pineapple upside down cake, homemade brownies, shortcakes, muffins, and many varieties of chocolate indulgences that make eating so much fun.


But there has always been one entree strangely missing from my cookbooks...


...the elusive chicken fried steak, the bread-and-butter of all good southerners everywhere.


I think the reason is that ever since I was a kid, my dad made the best chicken fried steak ever, so I was always intimidated by the sight of him pounding, breading, frying, pounding, breading, frying. I told myself it was too hard, it was a guilty pleasure for me to enjoy when at his house - certainly not something I could eat on my own.


But last weekend, I tried it. My trusty source at homesicktexan.blogspot.com inspired me (even though she may be from texas) and I gave it a shot. I was shocked at the results.


I finally began my quest for yummy CFS after locating a meat mallet at an obscure restaurant supply store in an impossible-to-find alley in one of the most crowded districts in our city. That night, I pounded my meat - as instructed - until doubled in size. I prepared my egg mixture and my breading mixture, then used the recommended dredge - drench - dredge (dry-wet-dry) procedure to get every last possible ounce of breading to stay on. Then I watched it bubble into a beautiful warmish brown color in the skillet, and silently prayed that my freakish habit of overcooking meat because of the fear of it not being done wouldn't take over. I carefully lifted my crunchy looking steaks out of the skillet and left them to warm in the oven while I finished the mashed potatoes and mac-and-cheese (yes, I very starchy meal, I know!) Beautiful. They were beautiful. And I made them. It was almost surreal.


Not that the process was as calm as I describe to you now - no, in fact, it was nothing like that. The gravy was almost a total disaster (though, in the end, it worked out ok) and it was certainly not a brilliant idea to try to make the gravy whilst simultaneously beating mashed potatoes, whisking cheese and milk together for the mac&cheese, and trying to seperate out all the utensils that had touched any part of the raw meat (another product of our freaskish meat habits). Further complicating the effort was the fact that my blender cord kept falling into the sink filled with water. My kitchen felt like a disaster zone; adding to the tension was the fact that I sent josh to the store in the middle of my gravy whisking because I had to counteract the fact that I was mindlessly spooning flour into the saucepan and then subsequently needed much more milk than was available in my fridge. Here's a picture that might give you a sense of the drama that was happening in my kitchen, though it doesn't quite accurately capture my frenzy:


Anyway, the kitchen drama died down, and then I was able to pull out my lovely steaks from the oven, where they were nicely sunning, oblivious to my frenetic movements just outside. When I sat them on the table, josh too, was stunned. I think he had secretly planned a back-up dinner at mcdonalds when I told him I was trying CFS for the first time.
One bite, and we were hooked. Sure, the gravy was a tad too thick, and the steaks a hare on the salty side. But I had no idea it was so easy. I vaguley remember my dad telling me "it's so easy," and me ignoring his comment in typical teenager fashion, but it was true - it was so easy! I'm sure I still have many years of tweaking my own recipe before I am anywhere near chef randy caliber, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...or something like that, right?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm, yummy looks like my kind of meal!!!!!

Anonymous said...

girl.... looking good. made my mouth water. you just ate american food while i just brought some "Happy GardeN" back to my dorm. Pretty decent chinese not gonna lie. Also FINALS week IS THIS WEEK! i HavE FOUR! I'm all hyped up on Rockstar which is the best energy drink known to man.. and I throw in some DIET MOUNTAIN DEWS every now and then.. topped off with some coffee loaded with french vanilla creamer.. not sleeping for me :) THINK of ME this week beause this week decides my PI PHI fate.. haha love you!!!

Swirl Girl said...

In the words of Dora, "De-lish-ee-Oh-So"...

christa

Alicia said...

Can I just say how much I miss cooking at home? Fast food, take out, and frozen dinners begin to wear on you after, oh say, a year!

Anonymous said...

Ok, Rach, this shows my true ignorance. (and you used to call me Betty Crocker!) Is chicken fried steak beef or chicken? If it's beef, what kind of beef did you buy? I have never bought anything except ground beef in Asia, I guess I was always a little skeptical of whether the "beef" was from a cow or a water buffalo. (just a weird rumor that I half believed after eating some rather stringy beef one time).

But at any rate, your meal looks amazing. Wish we were there to eat it with you!

Love,
Rachel

rachel said...

hey rach,

you've got to check out this lady's food blog - she gives the full scoop on CFS. I'm sorry you've had to live so many years without it! When you guys return, it will be the first meal you eat at my house! Maybe by then I will have perfected it!

About the beef...who else but xiao yin would have found it for me? she came home from carrefour one day and showed me this new cut of beef they started having. It was mysteriously beautiful, and I've officially ended our beef-fast! It works great and seems to be pretty real beef - not too stringy or anything, but the great thing about CFS is that you don't need a great cut of beef, so it works ok.

check out this blog - it will turn you into a food blogger, I'm afraid! I've used several of her recipes, like the sopapillas and I'm dying to try her refried beans, but I just didn't know if I could get dried pinto beans here? do you know?

hurry home,
rachel

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007/03/independence-and-chicken-fried-steak.html

Anonymous said...

My darling one: You are so wonderful--only you can make a messy kitchen a picture of sheer pleasure. In my mind I have accdpted the fact that asia has made a great cook of you--necessity is the mother of invention--what ho? Honey, I have only made CFS for Bob a few times--fearing I wouldn't do well--after having cooked a lifetime for Mr. D and the three little P's. Again-I am sooo proud of you/ You are in my mind and thoughts constantly. Nana

Anonymous said...

I so proud of you....mastering CFS!!! I can't wait for dad to read this blog and see your pictures!! And, I read where you could get that recipe for sopapillas..but I did talk to our lady in El Reno and she said she would write her recipe out for you. How special you must be!! The truth is....there is nothing you couldn't master when you put your mind to it. I miss you. I love you. MOM

Brandon and April said...

yay! you did it! I know what's on the menu when we come for dinner! :)

Anonymous said...

Rach,
Wow. The ever-resourceful Xiao Yin has done it again! About the pinto beans, I know you can get a type of dried red beans (look in the big serve yourself bins at carrefour by the rice) but they may be the red beans that typically end up in red bean paste sweet stuff. But you could try them! The other good news is, I can send you some! Fun times!

Have a great day,
Rachel

Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

Beautiful! I'm glad you thought it was such a cinch! And maybe it's the happy yellow cabinets, but your kitchen looks like an oasis compared to mine when I make chicken-fried steak.

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
You make a dad proud. Brings a Crisco tear to my eye. The hardest thing NOT to do when you are making Chicken Fried Steak gravy is to NOT put in TOO much flour. Never put more than FOUR level tablespoons (got to keep the playing field LEVEL, so to speak). If the grease is hot (not TOO hot where it's burned, but not COOLED down either) then the flour will blend and literally make a PASTE) then you start adding milk and watch it SIZZLE fo' SHIZZLE. Usually more than a cup and a half, but usually NOT muchy more than two cups of milk (although the more the merrier and in the words of Austin Powers "the more the GROOVIER, BABY"). I always KEEP adding milk until the consistency is right. It ALWAYS thickens up as it sets, and so I keep adding milk until it's nice and white and kind of milky. You HAVE to have enough grease in the pan. The grease should absorb all the flour, and not have dry flour sitting around. I don't know that I've EVER had too much grease, because you can always add more milk, and even if it still looks a little greasy, ultimately the gravy gets hots, the steam rises and carries some of the grease with it (and makes your ceiling greasy, or at least the people that live above you will have a nice greasy cloud of vapor to sniff...that'll teach 'em to eat rice all the time!!!). Anyway, this is a LONG post to just tell you not to use too much flour in your gravy, and truly it really IS easy...but it's a GUT thing...if you make enough Chicken Fried Steak Gravy...it'll guarantee to give you a BIG GUT! Save us a piece...send it in an envelope and drive the dogs on the mail route CRAZY!!! Love you sweetie. You can't practice TOO much. Let me tell you, regarding the Chicken Fried Steak...I've started double breading it. We buy our cube steak and it is already tenderized. I always beat my women and my steak to make them tender (JUST KIDDING) but I used a knife because sometimes (is it a METAL mallet???) the mallet is HARD to get clean. You DON'T want meat hanging around your mallet or your daughters. It attracts bugs, dogs and men. But I digress (and degrease)....I rinse my steak, dip it in flour, and THEN dip it in the egg/little bit of milk/little bit of mustard and salt or seasoned salt and pepper mixture on both sides and THEN I lay it in the one half flour/one half cracker crumbs mixture. I usually salt and pepper the CFS after I put it in the pan of hot oil. I have started using (you probably can't find it there) WHEAT crackers, and my FLOUR is half regular flour, HALF soy flour (you would NEVER have guessed I was a SOY MAN, would you???) In the past I even used to use SOY sauce...but I don't think SOY flour and SOY sauce are the same thing, other than using the word SOY (soy much for that). But what do I know??? Soy Flour has 35% protein and seems to BROWN better (so does the crumbled up WHEAT crackers). Your CFS looks SO good, but it's a little lighter than mine. Last thing. CFS Gravy NEVER is as brown as Chicken Fried Chicken Gravy, but it never stopped me from covering my meat and my taters with it. This is the longest post ever, and not nearly as funny as normal, but I take STEAK pretty seriously (take my STEAK....please. I mean DON'T take my steak please, I want it all for myself). We'll talk on the CAM soon. I'm just sorry we can't SMELL through it, although with Dirty Diapers that MAY be a good thing. I'll leave on that nose, I mean on that note.
Love,
Dad