Saturday, July 19, 2008

bring on the olympics!

A few nights ago, I randomly thought about the 1996 Olympics where Kerri Strug did her vault on her bum ankle. I totally remembered the details with extreme clarity, her falling to the mat afteer the vault, Bela Karolyi carrying her up to the medal platform with the rest of the team, the deafening cheers of the hometown crowd. Come on, you remember it too, right? Maybe this will help you bring up those memories...

I looked it up on Youtube last night and the girls and I watched it together. I was surprised (and a tiny bit embarrassed) when I started getting teary-eyed after the vault when they were waiting to find out if the score would be enough to lift the US team over the russians. Emma watched with horror as "that girl got hurt!" and then was doubly horrified when I replayed it - "Mommy, she got hurt again!" Of course, the score was just high enough, the Americans won, made history and lots of happy memories for preteens like me.

Anyway, I was moved. It made me excited for the Olympics to come.

The Olympic spirit will be soon - sometime next week - coming to our city in the form of the Torch Relay. I have big aspirations to go, but it all depends on the weather. Recently, it's been either downpouring here or swelteringly hot. If it's either of those, we probably won't go...but we'll see. Of course, the news has plenty of stories about how our asianese hosts are prepared for cloud seeding to keep the rains away from the Opening ceremonies, so maybe our city can use that too if it's supposed to rain next week!

The girls did July 4th crafts a few weeks ago, so emma now is so proud to point out when she sees the American flag. We're going to familarize ourselves with the national anthem next week so we can start fanning the flames of patriotism in those little hearts!

In a sort-of related story...
Today we were riding home from Walmart in a taxi (because Walmart just got chocolate donuts!) and the taxi driver asked us where we were from. When I told him we were from America, emma quickly corrected me and said, "No mommy, you said it wrong. We're from Asia."

I tried explaining to her that even though we live in Asia, we are still from America. That we're American people, not Asianese people. But it didn't make sense to her at all. It will be interesting to see how her cultural identity grows over the years!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Rach..
We saw that clip the other day..and as they were talking about these Olympics and showing our Americans practicing, I got teary eyed. I'm not pregnant..just hormonally imbalanced. :(
I know so many things may be unfair about various things, but I am excited to see all the things in Asia. I'm 100% sure I left part of my heart in that part of the world.
I am keeping my fingers crossed..that the rain stops and Emma and Mantha and you and Josh get to see the torch and be a part of history in your faraway home. Just be sure..your eggrolls (all 4 of you..for now)..are in my thoughts more than ever. Give Mantha and Emma special kisses from Mimi and G-pa.I love you...MOM

Anonymous said...

I'd say forget the weather and go! But of course with the EGG I don't know if I'd go in those conditions either!

Emmylou's Daddy

Anonymous said...

im glad k strugg got your attention on k whitts bday.... way to give me a shoutout... NOT. haha its okay. i love you anyway


birthday girl katie