Saturday, July 19, 2008

happy birthday to me...and a clarification

Well, today is my birthday. I'm not hitting any fantastic age or having a milestone of a birthday, just boring old 27. Josh asked what I'd like for my birthday, and I told him: sleep til I wake up, and flowers.

So this morning, when I finally opened my eye and glanced at the clock (it was 9:45 am! even I was surprised!) the house was eeirly silent. I had guessed that josh took the girls to Mcdonalds for pancakes and I alone was left in the house. Bliss.

I woke up, stumbled to the kitchen and pulled out a package of chocolate donettes. I sat in front of the living room window and watched the goings-on and ate my breakfast in complete peace. No one even asked if they could have a donut. More bliss.

A little before 10:30, I heard the door open and everyone was back from their adventures...with flowers they had each picked out. the girls happily told me all the little details that children notice (most prominent were the dog and cat that a man and a woman had - emma was quick to point out that "the man also had a smoke"...I cracked up!!). I got my happy birthday hugs, and now things are back to normal - dirty diapers (though hopefully not for long!), the running of little feet, toys everywhere - just like a mom's birthday ought to be.



In regard to "friday's fabulous fajitas", I would just like to clarify that no one missed any announcement. That was the announcement! Partly because I still feel nasty yuck, partly because it's still fairly early, I didn't feel like the announcement needed its own, exclamation-filled post, so I just snuck it in there. But I suppose I could give you a few more details - this was a planned pregnancy, will probably be the last of the carollo children to be borne by my body, and right now I'm in my tenth week. The "due date" falls just two days before emma's birthday, february 19. I would love for the baby to come early, to give emma (and momma) a bit of breathing room in between birthdays. So there's the details I know at this point!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well..as usual..Josh comes through! Yea, Josh! I always knew Rachel would marry a white knight..and she did. I used to always tell her princess stories when she was a little girl. :)
Happy 27th Birthday, Rach.
I love you. I simply cannot embarrass you by bragging on you any more...at least until the next blog. :)
Su Madre

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Rachel - I am SO glad to share a birthday with you! Hope you have a wonderful day!
Congrats again about the new baby!!

Love,
Erica

Anonymous said...

Sweetest One: How well I understood your birthday letter--I know those quiet times when no one is home--but chocolate doughnut, a new spelling, but for this generation, yes. Rachel, I can't tell hou how much I love you--and how much I love Josh for getting the flowers and teaching the girls how to love their mother. I have sent birthday cars--never adequate--but thought Emma and Samantha sould particularly love their singing ones. Love you, dear honey. Nana

Anonymous said...

Sweetest One: How well I understood your birthday letter--I know those quiet times when no one is home--but chocolate doughnut, a new spelling, but for this generation, yes. Rachel, I can't tell hou how much I love you--and how much I love Josh for getting the flowers and teaching the girls how to love their mother. I have sent birthday cards--never adequate--but thought Emma and Samantha sould particularly love their singing ones. Love you, dear honey. Nana

Brandon and April said...

WAHHH!!! ok first...happy birthday! yayyy for birthdays!
secondly---I haven't been up to date on my blogs and missed the fajita-thing and just caught this one! wow!! we're so pumped for you guys and can't wait to hear more news about this little one. what a perfect joy! We sense your sneakiness in the timing of Thailand fun :) and hope it all works out at the wonderful world of that amazing BKK hospital!!
we love all five of you and hope you begin feeling better soon!!

Anonymous said...

So I want to wish you a happy belated birthday but also a huge CONGRATS! Justin and I are so excited for you both and will be thinking of you. I have about 9 more weeks and baby Devero will be here...congrats again and can't wait to start seeing pics of your belly!