For some unknown and insane reason, I tried potty training her back in April. It lasted about 3 hours and then I decided I didn't want to deal with it for now. Potty traning seems to be an all-consuming experience for the first couple of days, and even after those days still requires lots of mental energy.
For yet another unknown and insane reason, I started again last Monday. She was nearly 3 months older than our "first" time, and significantly more developed verbally, physically and cognitively.
Let me also add at this point that I potty trained Emma way too early. She was so interested, and did a fine job. She caught on quickly and tried her best, and really did great. But she was so young that there were still so many mistakes. Being my first time doing it, I didn't know what to expect and was easily frustrated, even though I tried to remember she was still little. I so clearly remember many of my most frustrating parenting moments came during Emma's potty traning. I still feel such heaviness at the pressure I must have put on her, and that was honestly one reason I kept putting off potty training with samantha.
So we started on Monday. She had loads of new panties that she was SO excited about wearing. She was ready to go. We had stickers, orange juice, chocolate milk and a stash of reward treats so enticing, I myself wished I could be potty trained that day.
It is now the next monday, and I am happy to say that the week I dreaded turned into two days of concentrated effort and then lots of days of consistent practice. Samantha has done a great job and, if I was giving certificates, would officially pronounce her a big girl!!
These are pictures from april, because I was just too tired to take pictures this time around. Maybe I should say I was "more relaxed" this time around! Anyway, they were cute pics of her on her potty, so they were a nice addition to the post.


2 comments:
Wow, great news!
Way to go Samantha! Maybe you can show Chloe a few things when we get back! You are doing a great job!
We are proud of you and are so excited to hear how you are such a big girl now. Jiayou!
Love from your friends Clara Anne and Chloe
Rachel--Good for you. Miss Potty-trained Samantha will be ready to make the trip to OC much simpler--hopefully. She is so cute, Rachel--Tell her we think she is a lovely big girl now. Holly spent the night with us--Katie went to OU yesterday and your parents are in CO. Loved having her. SHe is leaving for Albuquerque tomorrow to be in a wedding. Love you, dear ones Nana
Post a Comment