Thursday, August 28, 2008

water disaster, part 2: mixed media


Long before the water disaster that you are about to read (post below), the girls and I made a rainy day picture. I'm not terribly crafty, but I think it's fun to create "scenes" which challenge the girls' imaginations to think of things that ought to be included and how to do it.


For our water disaster, we raided all the random craft supplies we could find, and used a wide array of materials. here's the lowdown:


a large sheet of blue shaded crepe paper was the background


clouds were made with blue pipe cleaner outlines, then cotton balls rubbed in a blue ink pad


lightning bolts were made with yellow pipe cleaners


rain was made with silver and blue glitter (with each girl having very different ideas about how exactly the rain falls. Samantha apparantly thinks rain falls in round circles...)


umbrellas were made from toothpicks and felt scraps


puddles were made with shiny blue metallic wrapping paper


the girls were made of popsicle sticks with clothes of construction paper and pink (felt) rainboots. (they also had twisty-tie arms)


This rainy day was a little more benign than our real water disaster yesterday...and yesterday we were without the pink rainboots!

3 comments:

Brandon and April said...

you are the most creative mama I know!! wow!!

Anonymous said...

Rachel: There must be someway we can get you three ladies on a TV show for creating a lovely rainy day. Will y ou bring the picture home? How perfect. Nana

Swirl Girl said...

I know you spent way too many weeks in Vacation Bible School. HA. What a fun mom you are!