Wednesday, December 17, 2008

relenting: the house that love built


I'm relenting, since holding out does me no good.
My friend Amy sent a spy to my house this morning to covertly take pictures of my gingerbread house.  If it's coming down to spying, I may as well just post the pictures on my blog.  Plus, certain maternal figures in my family are bugging me to see the pictures too... =)

So anyway, here goes - the proof that I am not martha and will never be:

Problem #1 - the house was too big.

Problem #2 - I needed a serious stash of icing. Even after bumming some powdered sugar off my house helper, I still didn't have enough. So we only iced the roof.

Problem #3 - I didn't want to use egg whites (since samantha is allergic to egg), so I just used powdered sugar with a little water. (I wasn't sure when we were going to eat it, and I was afraid the milk would go bad before then). You can see in the picture below, this was not icing that was meant to glue hard candies to gingerbread. It was literally creating icicles before our eyes! We couldn't get anything to stay on!!

But Emma enjoyed patterning, finding the red and green candies to use as tiles for the house. She also specifically picked out these shell marshmallow-things at the candy store, and she thought they'd be perfect on top of the house. Sounds good to me...

Mantha, on the other hand, just wanted to try some of everything on her side!  (Plus, josh was supervising her side, so she REALLY had free reign!)  She did wan to contribute to the shell-ness on the top of the house.
After a while, we coaxed the icing to stay put, and once it dried everything did actually stay.  Before bed, the girls took pictures with their side of the roof...

Emma wanted her name written on there, as well as new baby's name (but we blurred it out:  Did you think we were going to tell you so soon??  =)  She was proud...


Mantha was also proud of her work of art, even though it looks rather like she just threw up the candy shop.  Anyway, she also might have been so happy because she got to sit on top of the table for such a long period of time.  

One of samantha's special candies she chose was green frogs.  So this house has been plagued by an infestation of frogs...as if it didn't have enough problems... =)

Both girls with the big huge house:
Even daddy contributed, writing our asianese family name on the front - truly, the house that love built!  And five little hearts, representing all five of the hearts in our home!



7 comments:

O Fam said...

So impressed with the character on the side of the house, very nicely done! My last name is "king"...easy, not too many strokes.

Anonymous said...

Rach-
Thank you so much for posting these pictures and showing us how this "always remembered house" looked. Who wants a house that looks like one Martha Stewart would do or a store bought house?

I love..love..love that house! The 5 little hearts did me in, I must say. We love you, Rach..and all the eggrolls. I have to get an ornament with Mantha's name on it. I have one for Emma.

P.S. I'm holding you to sending me that picture thing...well, maybe after the baby is born. :)

MOM

Anonymous said...

Rachel: I wish we could hold them in time--the little girls and the gingerbread house. They are so dear--as you and Josh are to play with them. I can tell you I have never seen such a darling gingerbread house--we need to foro-ward this to Martha Stewart--do you know how?

Anonymous said...

I was getting ready to tell you that the 5 hearts did me in ...and then I see your mother already said that....well....it's true:)

One of the blessings of my mornings is beginning my campus/office routine by checking your blog.

This is my last day on campus and of course there are a ba-zillion things I need to do before the kids start arriving on Monday.
But....it's all the fun stuff:)
Love you all
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

It's not nearly as bad as you depicted. It just looks like snow is melting off the house. Do desserts really need to look good in order to taste good? Samantha had the right idea with tasting everything first. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

i think your gingerbread house is wonderful! we had a kit and ours is quite crazy itself! but my girls had great fun just like yours!

love you guys!
rikki

Swirl Girl said...

Samantha is Katie's twin -- wow. They look so much alike!! I love your gingerbread house!!