That's how it read in the paper that I glanced at one afternoon.
Who even reads the paper anymore? It was only by accident that I even stumbled upon the news of her book signing. Even more shocking was that I actually saw this blurb before the event took place - meaning I had time to plan to go!
I still remember the day Rachel was at my house telling me about some lady's blog she was reading, some weird love story about a girl from California meeting this cattle rancher and then writing about it for everyone to read about.
"She's from Oklahoma! You've never heard of her?" she asked me.
Curiosity got the better of me, and after she left, I went looking for that "some lady". A few clicks and a few weeks later, I realized that "some lady" was The Pioneer Woman.
I quickly became a fan - not a commenting fan, because who wants to be one of 76,235 commenters on any given post?
But she made me laugh and I loved her low-key approach to life. I love low maintenance. And I loved her recipes.
Rachel gifted me her cookbook when it came out, and I thought I could return the love and gift her Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. Icing on the cake would be getting my dear friend a signed copy.
So I recruited Alicia, another dear friend, to go with me.
The night before, I had googled "What happens at a Pioneer Woman book signing."
I obviously had no idea what I was doing.
Since the signing was happening on a Friday, I had time that morning to run down to Hastings and grab a number. Apparently, they were doing the signing by numbers that were given out, first come, first serve. I got there at 1pm and got my number. Seven.
Then I went home. Cleaned the house, got the kids, played with them a bit, took a shower, and got ready to go.
When we arrived, there were people who had been waiting since 2pm. Sure was glad I had my number and didn't have to spend the afternoon at Hastings!
I had Silas with me - not to help bring Pioneer Woman back to the ranks of the childbearing, but just because he pretty much goes everywhere with me. It's actually much easier than leaving him at home because he's so low-maintenance.

When it was my turn, I went up there and told her how much I appreciated learning how to cook a steak from her blog. I told her that she she was instrumental in my learning to cook at all.
Actually, I don't think I used the word "instrumental". But you get the idea.
Anyway, she signed my book, and Rachel's - without even looking down, I might add. I guess when you've signed a million books, you've got the hang of it.
"Both of these going to Rachel?" she asked me. It's been confusing to lots of other people, too...Rach and I having the same name.

And that was about it. Alicia got her books signed, and that was it.
I do have Facebook to thank for allowing me to know that my super-fun friend Misty would be there as well! Before we left, we found misty in the crowd and asked a pleasant passerby to take a picture of all of us.

Alicia and I headed out for a lovely evening at The Olive Garden, and in my heart I blessed my husband for being so willing to give me a great night out with my friend!
4 comments:
FUN! How's the book? I read the first part on-line. I also tried to win one of the kitchen aids she had designed in the same style as the book cover, but I didn't win. It's not surprising when 44,000 people enter to win.
thanks for commenting on our blog :o) how crazy that your parents' names are the same as Britton's?! Bizarre! Hope to talk soon!
So fun to be out with friends...especially great friends! Love you, Rach, and I love them, too! Love seeing Silas break into the scene.
Mom
Fun!! I really need to read her blog - especially since I'm the only blogger in the universe that doesn't!!!
Post a Comment