I know, I know...it sounds like the beginnings of another post about chocolate. But, in fact, I'm talking about my kids!
The other day I was telling a story to my friend Rachel about some of Emma's less-than-desirable antics and somehow I rambled long enough to start complaining about the fact that sometimes Emma and I need a break from each other! She must certainly get weary with me occasionally, too! I mean, truly...we spend every single day together. Since we live in a foreign country, there are no grandparents to give Josh and I a special night out. There are no "mom's day out" programs around here. Not even church nurseries on Sunday! It is Mom-time/Emma-time, all the time.
Then, Rachel and I struck gold.
We decided that once a week we would trade off. This week, she would watch emma, and next week I would watch clara anne. Sure, we'll still have our littlest babies...but we've now entered the world where only caring for one child feels like a break. Kindly enough, Rachel let me go first (maybe because of my previous rant?)
so today, I dropped emma off at the door for a full morning of play with Rachel and Clara. Then I got into the taxi - without squeezing tightly on to little hands to make sure they don't run in the street, without singing every song I know in the taxi to ensure a smooth ride for a 2 year old, without keeping dirty sneakers from leaving their imprint on the white seat covers. Just me and mantha, who sleeps or remains otherwise content a large majority of the time.
I went shopping at the two biggest department stores in town. I bought josh's christmas present. I found lots of interesting goodies I had no idea existed in our city. I found a play-kitchen here that I was considering ordering from the States for Emma. I walked around in the sunshiny coolness that the noon hour brought. I walked, browsed, shopped and lingered without any thought whatsoever to what time it was.
And then I left, happy to be on my way to seeing Emma again. I returned to my real life, and emma certainly did not disappoint. When I got to rachel's house, she was seated at the table, happily shoving fistfuls of asian noodles into her mouth. They had read piles of books, played hide-and-seek, and pushed dolls around the house in make-believe adventures.
Next week, Clara will come here and perhaps rachel and john will go out for some lovely night on the town celebrating their 10th wedding anniversary. And it helps me to remember that as much as I love this little child who is even now sitting at my lap, reaching longingly at the clattering keys on the keyboard, sometimes, we just need a break.
5 comments:
And as I told John after you left, it really isn't any harder watching one toddler than watching two! So we're looking forward to the next time Emma comes over!
Glad you had a great time today.
Love,
Rachel
Rachel,
Good to hear from you! I had missed being filled in on your family! I am so PUMPED you found a kitchen... what's the brand? I am considering that for Elizabeth's birthday... if, we recover from Christmas.
This is to both the Rachels... I am GLAD you figured out the toddler swap thing! Boy, if I was there, we would have started that LONG ago! I am praying that Father will bring someone here who wants to watch my kiddos for a few hours! :)
Love,
Erica
You have discovered such a valuable lesson and I am so glad that you have such wonderful friends that can help provide this opportunity. Each of us is better for having a little personal time without the complete set of daily responsibilities we carry.
You will be a better parent and Emma will learn a variety of lessons as well.
We are in a "tisy" here preparing for the arrival of kids and kin.
Mother is busy making cookies, candy, and all manor of sweets.
I am in charge of the "real" food...but have yet to get out of the office long enough to go to the store. Thank goodness the stores are open early and late!
Perhaps I mentioned already....this will be our first Christmas all together in 7 years so every is very excited.
Love you muchly
Marilyn
Rach,
There's a new expanded 'mothers night out' program that we've enrolled Emma in...it's called 'mothers month out' where your child spends a month with the mom's parents. You just need to pick your month, and we'll send you the 'paperwork' (tickets). If you're worried about that length of time...pick a short month (February???).
Also, I wish you had told us about the play kitchen for Emma you bought a little sooner! Sure enough, it was so expensive to send that big of a box (those play kitchens are HUGE) I DID come up with an alternative. I'm sending you your mom with an apron, some wooden spoons and a suitcase full of pots and pans and she and Emma can 'play kitchen' all day long. Now, if you'll just teach her to cook while she's there, we'll be in business. Merry Christmas!!! Go Sooners!
Papa Smurf
Your dad seriously cracks me up!! Whew... I'm glad you have found someone to trade off with. And, she is right, 2 toddlers isn't much worse than 1, because 1 is pretty bad! ha ha... Cherish the time by yourself, or with J. When you have like 24 children, as we do, those times are pretty much nonexistent.
It doesn't mean you don't love them, but in the words of Ronald McDonald, you deserve a break today.
Post a Comment