Friday, January 12, 2007

hanging in there

For whatever reason, my internet connection is flying like a space-age jet, so I will take advantage of it and post!

I want to say thanks to you guys for your encouraging words and thoughtful responses to my crisis of motherhood a few days ago. The last few days truly have been better, for lots of reasons. First, I think, is that (at least a few of the days) I got up a little earlier than the girls and took a few moments to quiet my heart before Him and prepare for the day. Even just a few moments seemed to change my attitude for the day and influence events from there. Truly, that we have the ability to come before an amazing God who not only loves us, but has the power to change us should never be taken for granted.

Another more sobering reason is that a few days ago, through a friend of a friend, I became aware of a family in colorado who, on Friday (usa time) had to make the heart-wrenching decision to take their 7-month-old child off of life support. He had been critically ill for many months; the best efforts of doctors only left them more confused to his ailment. But, the testimony of the family and their trust in the Lord during such emotional agony is utterly amazing. As I read their blog over and over again, hot tears spilling over my cheeks (while emma obliviously watched Dora save the soccer game), I realized how easy to take the days for granted. It gave me the extra motivation I needed to remember that I ought to "give thanks for everything", including the opportunities to help my children become more christ-like!

In other, more random bits-and-peices from our life, Emma can recite huge chunks of songs, poems and books that she has consistent contact with. Since her powers of memory have been on such great display, we decided last week that we'd try to help her start memorizing things that can truly benefit her (not that there's anything WRONG with saying quatro, cinco, seis, or reciting every page of "I'm a big sister" - the long-standing favorite on the bookshelf). So we started last week with Genesis 1:1, which she knows when prompted. Then, thursday, we learned part of Acts 5:29 - We must obey God. She really remembers it and can say it! Of course, we think she's brilliant-child!

Samantha is making quick work of becoming mobile. Yesterday, she transported herself about three feet (though I hesistate to call it crawling just yet because it still looked...well, a little strange. But she got from pointA to pointB, and isn't that really the point?) She can stand alone for a while on her own, and is quite happy with her newfound abilities. We bought a huge blanket to put on the floor of the living room so she has a safer, and more public place to play (she didn't like being sequestered on the corner of the couch). I've been a little sad at how fast she has seemed to grow up! Can't she just make it stop...?

anyway, thanks again for all your prayers and comments. More from us when the internet works...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She IS memorizing them in English isn't she?? OLD ENGLISH??? We're anxiously waiting for the Dora New Testament where the little boy pulls the fish and the bread out of his BACKPACK to feed the 5000 and where Jesus says, "We did it," instead of "It is finished." Of course, since it would be JUST the New Testament, it would only cover the parts from Matthews to MAPS! (althought I'm sure the Spanish version would throw in Malachi - pronounced Muh LAHCH ee). Anyway, take lots of pics of mlambchopper when she visits in 2007 so I can remember what she looks like...at this juncture I can only afford ONE one-way ticket.
MrLambChopper

Swirl Girl said...

Once again... I am rolling on the floor laughing at your dad. If you do write a book, definitely have your dad add some commentary.

I love the new Dora version of the New Testament. I think it would definitely fit a niche. I second the motion that you need to be in some of these pics. We want to see that you are really alive and well. I want proof.