After almost two hours, I finally pulled myself away from my steaming bath where I mindlessly played Bejeweled on Josh’s ipod. (yeah, apparently that super-addictive game that comes on cell-phones can be purchased for your ipod, too! And my husband, who knew I spent some of my early labor with Samantha playing it, decided to buy it for me as a new year’s present. Hmm…that five dollars just might ruin all my free time…yikes!)
Anyway, my blog is sort of on life-support now. Not because I am tired of blogging – no, on the contrary! It’s still that stupid underwater cable that slows down our internet. I could mail a letter individually to all my readers faster than I will be able to post this blog. Nevertheless, that is not the point of my post.
The point of this blog (as you can tell from the title) is that my motherhood abilities lately have been stretched. The way I see it, one of these two factors is the issue: (a) I have TWO children or, (b) I have one child who is two years old. When emma was samantha’s age, life was happy, fun, and do-able. There was little I needed to do for her except feed, change, and love her. Kisses and focused attention were cures for anything.
Oh, but now that Emma is a two-year-old, there’s more to the package than just meeting physical needs. There are other parts of her little self that are maturing – her spirit, her will, her soul. Those aspects have required much more of me than I thought. It’s true – when the battle is just against “flesh and blood”, solutions come easy. But now the battle is against “spiritual forces”, that ingrained nature that wills against everything that her conscience prods her to do.
And I am her mother – I have the God-given job of tear-wiper, nose-cleaner, boo-boo-kisser. I also have been entrusted by God to help guide her on a path towards righteousness, to point her towards God Himself.
But how can I do that when I rely on my own power? Sure, no one would outright say that they live their life in their own power – but my actions are screaming what my words would never be bold enough to say. My actions say that I’m too busy changing diapers, getting lunch ready and cleaning dirty toddler panties to really spend much time with Him. My actions are saying that since my children have an insane tendency to wake up with the roosters that I get a free-pass for not being diligent to rise before them. My actions say, “Sorry, Lord…I’ll try to handle today on my own.”
And recently my world has come crashing down. Nothing drastic, nothing terrible. Just the constant grind of daily demands that saps my kindness, my gentleness, my godliness. Being the best mother I can be is just not a good standard anymore. There are some days when “the best I can do” is a pretty pathetic display of behavior. Just because that is “the best I can do” does not mean that is how God intended me to parent my children that day.
My call is to be the mother HE wants me to be. That means exhibiting His qualities towards my children. That means that when Emma pees in her panties for the six-billionth time, that I can firmly punish her but can do it without letting my exasperation shame her. That means when Emma chooses to act like a two-year-old, I choose to act like the Lord, NOT like a two-year-old. That means if I spend the entire day holding Samantha, dealing with emma, and keeping the house in quasi-order, I can do it without carrying my “woe is me” attitude around with me. I can do it, as serving the Lord, not serving men.
But it also means that I need to make my time with Him more of a priority. If I have to wake up earlier, so be it. (perhaps I should go to bed earlier instead of posting to my blog at 1130pm…) Most certainly, something has to change. One thing is certain: I’m a pretty decent mom. But pretty decent is not my standard, or His.
Will you pray for me? I truly feel like Emma is at a crucial time in her life – she is learning her boundaries, she is learning right and wrong and the consequences of each. The spiritual foundation she will carry with her all of her life is being laid during these early years. Many days, I feel I am far from adequate for the task. I feel like I respond to her from my own flesh and my own wisdom. I feel exasperated. I feel frustrated. I feel like all my glorious visions of motherhood are swirling wildly down the drain. And yet, I want to respond to her with God’s love, in ways that point her towards the infinite kindness and tenderness of her Heavenly Father. What an overwhelming responsibility!
Please pray that my time with Him will set the tone for each morning; that my relationship with emma will flow from my relationship with my Father. Pray that I can get my lazy duff out of bed in the morning so that I have some moments of solitude before the chaos begins.
8 comments:
Precious Rachel: I see you are inflicted with the perfect woman syndrome. Even at my age, I am constantly reminding myself that the father needs more from me than just average. Those wonderful words from the songs: Rest in the Lode--wait patiently on him. Emma is so wonderful--but she is a two year old--and that ain't easy. Honey, something I learned about one of my children (when she was years older than Emma): I learned to pry : Show me how to love her--I mean really love her. Bob has given me over and over again his definition of love: To help someone be what get wants them to be without expecting anything in return. It takes a lifetime to build a life--and you and Josh are such willing and dedicated parents---just enjoy what comes your way these days--the days and duties will change quickly but the same experiences will never come again. I love you so much, Rachel--somehow find time for you and Josh--because when the girls are grown and gone, you will still have each other. I'll e-mail you soon. Nana
Rachel-
I'm learning that even you and me(sisters) being so many years apart, living such different lives, in different places still need one thing at the end of the day-Him. No situation, struggle, or anything really can be handled or is "right" without the Father being part of it. Trying with your own efforts leaves you feeling frustrated and lacking true strength to keep going. You are a great mom and I know you want the best for both your girls. Please know that I'm praying for you and I love you. Thanks for being there for me
holl
rach- as i read holls post.. i couldnt agree with her more. Lately ive been struggling with the same things.. all the frustrations in my life have just been building up over the last few months and ive realized how this has affected my attitude about myself, about others, and my attitude about Him. The other night I was reading and i came upon the verse in 1 Peter chapter 5 vs 7 that says "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you" Its such a relief to me because anything I am going through.. which seems to be a lot at times.. I can give to him. And thats HUGE! I can go to him when I fail every math test I took. I can go to him when I feel like i have noone. I can go to him when i dont feel good enough. I can go to him for anything and EVERYTHING. YOU can go to him when emma is acting up. YOU can go to him when you feel like you cant do it on your own. YOU can go to him when all your patience is gone. YOU have it in the bag with HIM. And SO do I. And so does Holly. It just takes that willingness to let him be in control.
I love you rach and know i am not praying for you every time i think about you. My new fav song by bethany dillon called "new" has a line in it that really stuck with me and really applies in your situation.
"What is it that softens all my doubting?
It's you"
Rach youre an amazing sister and was always there for me and holly. Im sure you are just as good if not better as a MOM. You learned from the best-- DONDON! I love you once again and i am praying for you!
it says i am not praying for you everytime i think about you but its supposed to say i AM!!! just clearing that up..
Okay, just so you know... this is truly why your oldest cousin is crazy. the lock-up, straitjacket kind of crazy. Haven't all you cousins wondered what is wrong with me at some point? This is it... this conflicting battle waging within regarding motherhood, plus having 2 babies at once. It is so hard to make time for everything and yourself, but so important. Don't you dare stop playing Bejeweled! It is hard to stay calm and Christlike with a two year old. (just wait til they turn 3, or 13!) You are doing just fine. Of course, we can all strive to do better in every aspect of our life, but rest assured that Father is pleased. The most important job he has given you as a mother is to love your babies and teach them about him. Of course, you are doing that always. You are not failing the babies or Father. You are not an average mother. I am constantly having those battles about perfect woman syndrome. I think all mothers do. Are you perfect? No. But, I don't think he expects that.
If you look at your own mother (hi dondon) you will see that she isn't perfect. She wasn't perfect when you were little. ANd, look what an amazing person you turned out to be. Children don't need perfection. Father doesn't expect perfection.
You have already learned that things are easier the 2nd time around, so this is actually your first go-round with a 2 year old. I think you are doing quite well with a toddler AND a baby. I know what that is like from experience, and you are doing great. DO NOT ever doubt your abilities or worthiness as a mother. Change what you can, if you need to regarding the time with Father. After that, enjoy it. Maybe you even let the potty-training go for a little while. It's much less stress (and washing), and she will figure it out, believe me... with absolutely no help! They always do. I have done it both ways. The stressful way and the nonstressful way. Either way, the kids are potty trained at about the same time, but the mother is either sane or insane. Know what I mean?
Hang in there cuz. Write if you want. We all love you. swirlfamily405@sbcglobal.net
Christa
Rachel,As I read all the good advice from those who love you I cried and smiled and thought of the blessings that each of these lives has been and continues to be.
This statement "Children don't need perfection" from Christa really is so true. Your children will gain a great deal from observing your struggles. They will learn that the father is loving and real. That he is with us daily regardless of our struggles. They will also learn and appreciate that you are human.
It's okay...
The challenges of 2's as well as the challenges of 13's will be part of your journey to what the father has for you. Take each day together with him....these days of infants will be over OH so SOON!
Be encouraged sweetie, motherhood is an amazing challenge and you are greatly loved.
We are keeping you lifted up.
Marilyn
Rachel you ignorant sooner (well, alright, sometimes quotes from Saturday Night Live are not ALWAYS the best thing, but if I read one more Sappy Salutation on this blog, I was afraid I would throw up my Harry Bear Cobb Salad...maybe the avocadoes on that thing WERE a bit brown). SIDEBAR: we did have 911 come in and take a lady away on a stretcher at the table right next to us. It was quite an interesting dinner show...who knew Harry Bears had Evening Entertainment? When the waiter asked us "have you decided what you want?" I immediately responded "anything but what she had!" Even the manager was doing stand-up and told the firefighters that they were double parked in the Carry Out parking places and would have to move their Rescue Trucks. So, what was I talking about...oh yeah. Parenting. You're never as good as you think you are when you've just helped your child with a paper for Reflections (after all, Amber Gerdes mom is on the panel, and so NATURALLY her paper will be better), and you're never as bad as you think you are when you've blown your stack and yelled at your child (kid's are so resilient and forgiving, and your love for them always shines through...and comes back to you). I decided that if at the end of the day, no one was taken away on a stretcher by EMSA, you're going to be alright tomorrow. Story books are read at bedtime, but don't rear their 'happily ever after' propaganda during the day, so don't expect that of yourself. Cinderella divorced the Prince, and ran off with the Coachman years ago (alright, that may have been a bit cynical) but I would suggest you slap a diaper on both girls, stick two together for yourself and just sit around, have fun, eat chocolate, wet your britches and thank God you have each other...and lastly, include the old man in this frolicking. When one of you reaches the end of their rope, that's when you hand off the kids until you can pull yourself up a bit. It takes two to tango (from the very gitgo) and if you aren't shoulder to shoulder, you AIN'T TANGOING (that looks amazingly alot like TAN GOING, and there's certainly no reason for either of you to tan at this juncture) just don't set your standards so high, that there's not room for GRACE. I think 'suffer the little children' should be taken literally, so yes they will suffer from our ineptness, and they'll emulate what they admire, and despite their attempts (and their parents attempt) they WILL repeat those same mistakes and be unable to conquer the 'bad' genetics...both the ones from mom and dad (the literal ones and those taught through osmosis) as well as the ones from Adam and Eve. What am I saying? Well, that all these responses are presented to you to give you a little escape from the trouble and trials of your life...the same thing that YOUR blog has given to us time and time again. For that we say: THANKS. Now, get back to being a great mom.
Dad
Of course I will happy to pray for you - I know that in several years I'll be begging for prayer, as well! (Not to mention a good seven months.) Please be gentle on yourself - it's definitely a trying time. You do need time with God, time for yourself to fill your soul with what you love, whatever that may be. Also, don't be too hard on yourself on Emma's spiritual identity forming at this age - I wasn't raised in church or in a Christian household, necessarily, as a child, and yet I am open and growing in Christ today! She's blessed to have a mom that takes her spiritual needs so seriously.
Post a Comment