Tuesday, April 10, 2007

issues that are deeper than pee

It's only 3 o'clock in the afternoon, and I'm sitting here on the couch wishing my can of American coke was about seventeen times bigger. I'm exhausted, mentally and physically.

Last night, we stayed up until after 1am, doing an unexpected favor for a friend in town who needed some help. But that's not even the reason I'm so tired. I'm so tired because we took emma to kindergarten today, and it was one of the most stressful days I've had since moving back here.

I guess I was expecting it to be easier on me. After all, I've lived in this country for about three years, so culture-shockish things don't usually bug me. I'd already seen the kindergarten and although it would likely never pass in the states, it was pretty good for places here. Plus, the principal and lots of the teachers are believers, so I felt like even if we had lots of differences, at least our major thoughts about life and such things were the same.

And then we went.

When we got there (we is me, the girls and my house helper), the principal seemed to try to back out of some of the things she had earlier assured me about - that it was ok if I only wanted to bring emma twice a week, that it was ok if I stayed with her for the first several times to help her get accustomed to the place. It was like she was trying to convince me that doing things that way was somehow going to negatively influence the other children, or whatever.

In my most polite voice (which doesn't sound so polite since I'm getting over a cold that has likened my voice to that of a bullfrog), I told her that I understood her concerns, but that my thoughts were that I would stay with emma until I felt comfortable leaving her alone, and that I would not send her more than two or three times a week. In my mind, these are non-negotiable. The truth is that if I lived in America, I wouldn't send emma to a daycare two or three times a week. Maybe like a mother's day out thing, ok. And she would get to play with her grandparents and aunts and uncles, of course. But even preschool or daycare at this age is something we just wouldn't do - just because I like being with her, I like the fun activities we do together, and for our life situation it's just unnecessary. Plus, I personally feel responsible for the things that influence her at this age, and even more so since we live in asia.

[All this does not imply that if you ever considered, have in the past, or currently send your children to preschool or mother's day out then you are the low rung on the totem pole or some other very negative metaphor. These views are purely the views of the author and are not intended to be generalized over a population segment!]

So for me to even consider letting her go kindergarten in the first place was a big step. I'm home all day, I have the time to be with her. I'm only sending her for language, new situations, and little friends. So when mrs. principal starts trying to convince me that she needed to come every day, well, I just had to convey that, regardless of their customs, twice or three times a week was my max.

Then, she wanted to tell me that I just needed to drop her off and leave, and let them handle it. "Don't worry!" she told me. "You can rest easy, relax, we can take care of it." Hmmmm. Yeah. Since all of you can speak english and are used to western culture, I bet you can! My insides were screaming that she has no idea what this must be like for emma, that she has no idea what might happen if I just dropped emma off at the door and bid them all a happy farewell.

AAAH, THEN...after half an hour of activities in a little room, the kids all went outside to play and sing songs. As soon as all the kids are outside, they do just like all the other little asian kids, and start squatting in the grass and over the drains and in the bushes and pee everywhere. I'm not kidding, there were like three or four kids peeing in the grass at any given time, with all varieties of modesty being displayed. One girl - who won the modesty award - hid behind a bush and didn't expose herself for the world to see...but most of the girls and all of the boys just went whenever and whereever. Emma, like her friend Clara (who recently had this experience) was so unbelieveably curious, and wanted to know why everyone was just peeing at their pleasure whenever they felt like it. I coudln't ask her to give them privacy because we're stinking outside on the playground! Who can have privacy on the playground? Bathrooms were created for just that purpose, you know!

I start cringing inside. My mind is racing, wondering how I can reconcile these ideas in my mind - I want emma to go to local school and have friends, and learn asianese...but I also want her to retain certain cultural norms that are important to our family and culture, like when you have to use the restroom, you GO to the restroom. It is unacceptable to pee in the grass or in the bushes. I want her to know that she is safe and won't be punished for something she doesn't understand. I dont' want teachers to shame her into behaving properly like they do other children. My mind is swirling, my emotions start flaring up. Of course, emma comes to me and pulls my hand toward the bushes and tells me she has to go peepee. "Sorry, emma," I tell her. "You have to go inside to peepee." I take her inside, we do her business, then we come back outside.

The kids play outside, and eventually form a line behind one of the teachers. She starts singing a little song about a rabbit who hops from one end of the field to another. She hops across the paved area, and then hops back. All the children happily sing along and hop with her, and then stop when they reach the end of the paved area.....all except emma, who understands not a single word of the little bunny song and after hopping to the end of the paved area just keeps meandering off into the grass toward the slide that is a few yards away, because she didn't catch the part that the little bunny hopped back to where he came from.

Mrs.Principal approaches me a few moments later and says, "you know, all the other children have started wanting their mommies because you are here with emma." I looked at my house helper and I said, "What should I say? Should I say, 'Oh, I'm sorry', or 'I'm so embarrassed,' ? I don't know what to say because I'm not leaving." Then Mrs. Principal tells me, "It's ok! You really can leave her. The kids dont' have a problem being left, it's just the adults that have a hard time leaving the kids. She'll be fine."

And then I lost it. I got tired of feeling like the plan was being changed on me, was tired of dealing with the conflict in my mind about if this was really worth it, and I was struggling in my mind with the cultural implications of everything. I want her to learn asianese, I want her to have asian friends, but I don't want her to BE asian! I don't want her to think she has to stuff her emotions, i don't want her to pee in bushes. But I want her to love the place where she grew up. I want her to have happy memories of her childhood, I want her to remember fun times and fun friends. I don't want her to look back and only remember a mother who had nothing but contempt for the ways people did things.

The tears welled up, and with every question someone asked me or statement someone made, they threatened to come out. When I could no longer hold them back, all the teachers, my house helper, the principal and all manner of curious onlookers had no idea why the foreigner was crying. I think the principal thought it was her fault (which, partly due to her frequent nagging, it was) but the truth was that I was facing issues that none of them could understand. Their attempts to make me feel like they could understand - ie, all parents deal with this, it will be ok - just made me more upset. My nose turned red and blotchy like it always does when I cry, and my best efforts at damage control were in vain. I politely said my goodbyes and we left.

By the time we got home and had just slipped our shoes off, josh called and wanted to know how everything went. Poor guy. As soon as I opened my mouth, the tears that I had tried to hold back at the kindergarten spilled out. Through my weepy blathering, I tried to explain to josh about the pee and how that was just a picture of the huge cultural differences that I hadn't thought about, and were we doing the right thing, and was emma really ready for this or was I just being an overprotective parent who just doesn't want to send her kid to kindergarten and and on and on and boo hoo hoo. Josh answered excellently: "Whatever you want to do, honey. We can take her out, we can keep going. Whatever you need to do." He's a good man.

The girls are sleeping, lunch is cleaned up, my coke is gone, but my emotional fatigue remains.
Maybe I'm trying to bear the burden of culture shock that emma has yet to experience. Maybe I'm just trying to protect her from things that I see that would bother me. Maybe I just need to loosen up and just see what happens. I really didn't think that I would be one of those moms that stands outside the door on the first day of school when their kid goes to first grade - and I still don't think it's that. It's not that I'm unwilling to let her go. I guess I just thought it would be simpler than this.

But I guess the truth is that emma's life won't be simple. She'll never be 100% American, she'll never have the same experience as her friends in America...and yet she will never be fully Asian either. I always knew that in theory, but now I'm experiencing it in the flesh. If she pees in the bushes in china, they'll think she's weird because the foreigner is peeing in the bushes. If she pees in the bushes in america, they'll think she's weird because she's peeing in the bushes. Bottom line: when it comes to peeing in the bushes, she can't win.

Before I laid emma down for her nap, I asked emma to tell me about going to kindergarten. She told me that she played with blocks and played with friends and took her shoes off. When I asked her if she wanted to go back tomorrow, she opened her eyes wide and whispered "Yeah!"

So, episode 2 airs tomorrow, if I can pull myself back together.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel - my heart just went out to you as I read you blog! My girls are napping and I, well no coke for me, but I am drinking a big bottle of water, and I just hurt for you!
I understand the struggle of what to expose our children to and how much to try to protect them... I think you said it well - you don't want her to "BE asian". I certainly don't wish that for my girls either! :)
I know you will make a good decision for Emma... to either wait a few days and try again or wait for a time to take her back.
We aren't facing this situation at this point (but when we get back from the states we will), and so I am learning from you... thanks for going first and showing us how it is - the good the bad and the pee!

Erica

Anonymous said...

Dear Rachel,
Bless your heart….over and over.
This is all very difficult. As you have said it is much more than just a mommy letting go of her firstborn. While that does play a part, there are other aspects that are called to question. Remember, we are culturally socialized by family and peers, especially in the youngest years. Of course Emma wants to go back, to her it was a fun adventure. I do feel that it is important for you to be there enough to understand/see what the routine is…this way you can discuss various issues (such as the peeing procedure) that Emma will question. But you must realize that the experience (repeated over time) will either shape Emma into conformity or confuse her (at this age). Emma is a little young to understand that different cultures have different mores. She is not yet fully grounded in her own culture (in other words, she is just learning what it means to be “Emma” and “American”.
As a professional (and you have a family full of educators who may or may not agree with me) I would point out that one purpose of pre-K and K here in the US is to take children from their various backgrounds and socialize them into a “norm” so to speak.
Teaching them the various “rules” of social order. Getting them “on the same page” so that we can begin to teach them from a common starting point.
This is true of most educational systems. My concern is that unless you want Emma to be Asian, then this experience might really confuse her. Even if you are there and can talk about the differences…she may give you lip service (say she understands) but actually not understand the underlying concepts of different cultures. This type of confusion could lead to “identity confusion” and could be a problem.
Since I teach developmental psychology I probably sound a little theoretical in this response but it does shape my perspective.

The flip side of this is that you are a great mother….Josh is a great father….and together you are building wonderful people. There are no hard and fast rules about what works, only suggestions and perspectives. You have the best intentions in wanting Emma to have Asian friends and practice the language. She may be a little young to experience the full socialization process of Asian culture. Perhaps developing a friendship with one or two Asian families with small children could provide the opportunity for play dates that would better meet your goals.

Regardless of your decision…please know that every new mother struggles with parenting issues and you are in a cultural situation that increases the challenge.
Love you much,
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

My sweet sweet girl: Do not take Emma to kindergarten or play school or whatever this is called. Even in the good old U
S of A I would not take my very young child and expose her to many ideas we which I disagree--asian or greek or pagan. She is young, young young and you and Josh have done a beautiful job with her. She will do beautifully. May I observe to you that the children I see now (even through 12th grade) --those who have been home schooled by loving Christian parents--they do better in so many situations, They do not yell and run around the restaurant, they converse with adults like they are people instead of zombie faced turnoffs---I (from my own desires for Emma) see her as a most remarkable little lady. The latest research on sixth grade children is that those who spent early early years in daycare are more hostile and violent and resistant to authority. So there y ou have my simple outspoken thoughts. I love you so much--I think you two have done an outstanding job. Nana

Anonymous said...

Rach, I totally understand your conflicting feelings. I am processing through some of this with Clara Anne and being in America, and realizing what you said is so true--their lives are different and will be different and Clara Anne will never have the kinds of shaping influences that I had, growing up in small town Iowa in the same house for 18 years, where my one big highlight every year was going to Minnesota for family vacation. That just isn't the life of our kids. I relate so much to what you're saying and so will be especially pr for you as you decide what is best for Emma and see how things go. We love you all and I appreciate you sharing so well and honestly about this!

So glad I had time to check your blog--I have an email in the outbox for you too.

Love you,
Rachel

Anonymous said...

As i read your blog my eyes filled up with tears. I can just picture sweet little emma not knowing what the heck was going on. It breaks my heart for her and for you too.. because even though I cant even begin to know what it feels like for you.. i DO know what it feels like to hold back tears of anger and frustration. I've had a lot of those lately. I wish I could be there with you to cheer you up. I could tell one of my jokes.. or tell you one of my random stores.. or even make fart noises underneath my legs :) Anything to cheer you up. NO ONE should tell my sister what to do.

But i will give you my 18 yr old advice that probably means nothing to you but I'm going to say it anyway. I honestly think you should continue to let Emma go to school. She likes it. She has fun. And until she tells you otherwise I would keep on keeping on. Try to work with what I am saying--

Public school for me and holly is like chinese school for emma. In our case everyone was partying and drinking. In emma's case everyone is peeing on the streets and acting a fool. But, me and holly knew better. And so will emma. I know she is young so this might not apply but basically what i am trying to say is I think she will benefit from it more to go then not to go. I think going to public school as opposed to home school or private school taught me so much. I think emma will have fun and make friends. I am excited for her.

But note this-- if anyone messes with you again.. I will PERSONALLY come down there and show them how its gonna be. :) I love you rach and I'm sorry your day was so rough. Give emma and sam some kisses.

Peeing on the streets or not peeing on the streets, emma will turn out to be an amazing woman. like mother like daughter. once again I love you and am thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Rach,
We all feel a sense of desperation when our control (or at least the control we think we have) is taken away from us. I can think back 20 years plus or minus depending on the child and remember a particular and specific instance with each one very vividly where I wasn't happy about where one of you were being left, but had to suck it up, and walk away. "But daddy, but daddy wait..." still rings in my ears. In this case, though it's you saying those words (to the Father) and as I talked about this to your sister Katie, I found myself quoting WAY too many cliches and axioms... "When in Rome do as the Romans do." "You can't have your cake and eat it too." "The pee in Spain falls mainly on the plain" What IS the age of accountability? The age where you don't lay the baby down and change their diaper in front of the world, yet the next week you tell them to hide in the bathroom? What age do they understand that it is alright to drop your droors in front of similarly equipped toodlers, but in front of those with differences? I'm not absolutely sure the Asians have it all wrong..it's a nasty habit, but all of us coach our kids to 'do it my way' and not Nike it because everyone else does. Why did we send you kids to Moore schools instead of Dallas schools? To try and minimize that challenge. However, if my life or my work had taken my to Dallas or LA or wherever I would have had to adjust. So must you. Be glad you're not in South Africa or the Mideast...who KNOWS what challenges you would be facing!?! "It could always be worse and it can always get better" (my own cliche). I would think at this point, though, unless you have an endless supply of coke and chocolate, you may want to wait awhile until YOU are ready for Emma to face the world you've chosen to live in. She IS ready...you're not. Nor were WE ready to face a world without grandkids on Easter...but we hopped through that OK (after bopping a few field mice on the head) and when we can't stand it anymore, we'll get on a plane, and 'change our perspective'. But in the end, you know what they say... "April Golden Showers bring May flowers." Love ya,
Dad

Anonymous said...

WOW---You have gotten an amazing amount of "free" advice....and it is all good....I especially like your dad's:)

Please be encouraged that all of us as parents (or non parents) face these issues and each of us is supporting you in thoughts, prayers, and love. What ever you decide...it won't be the end of the world....you will just move on to the next challenging issue of the situation:)
Life is like that hon.....

AND.....we all are anxiously searching the blog to hear the " rest of the story"...or at least the next chapter:)
Love you
Marilyn

PS...I love the clock:)

Swirl Girl said...

You have gotten some great advice. I agree with your dad... she is ready, you are not. I think she will love it, and at some level will understand that there are some things "we" do and some things "they" do. She would face that in America. My children know that there are things that "we" do and things that "they" do. I do not agree that children attending a daycare or other type program are more violent & hostile. You and I are both a product of that, so you see how violent we are. Ha. But, in the words of Josh, do whatever you need to do. You are experiencing the crappiest part of motherhood ever. Things that you can't control but they still affect your child.
Love you guys. Yay for Coke. And, just for the record... I'm all for peeing in the bushes. In China or the good old U S of A