Thursday, September 27, 2007

other funnies

here are two more funnies that came out of emma's mouth recenty:

- Lots of our friends (and occasionally me) call Josh Mr. Ke - Ke is pronounced "kuh", sort of like "duh", only with a k. Ke is josh and the girls' last name; I have a different surname according to asianese culture. Anyway, emma also sometimes calls Josh Mr. Ke. After a while, I began calling her Miss Ke, and when she started calling me Miss Ke as well, I corrected her and said that I was Mrs. Ke because I am married. I told her that when people get married, they become a Mrs. (Never mind that I was mixing two cultures - here, even when you get married you ALWAYS keep your own surname) A few weeks later, we attended a friend's wedding. Before the wedding, josh and emma were talking about all the interesting things they would see at the wedding, and emma brilliantly exclaimed, "After I go to the wedding, I'll be Mrs. Ke!"

-This story also comes courtesy of morning devotions, where we are currently in Exodus. Reading about the ten commandments brought further light to the topic of idols, which seems to fascinate emma, maybe because they are easily seen here and so therefore, easily imagined. How would I teach this concept tangibly in America where there is no local idol store to walk past?! Anyway, that evening, we were reviewing with josh about our devotion that morning, and when I asked emma what one of the commandments was, she said, "We don't supposed to make idols, we're supposed to make Hello Dollies!" May I never be accused of forgetting to teach my children the important things in life - not making idols and making hello dollies! That's my girl!

Tomorrow is the papa eggroll's birthday, so I think we're going to go our city lake in the morning (josh's class was cancelled tomorrow because of the birthday...not his. It also happens to be Confucious' birthday. Go figure.) We'll have the recent fave CFS for lunch, and then German Chocolate Cake for dinner. Yep, cake for dinner. It will be a first for all of us, thought I'm sure we'll be just fine! then...after the kids go to bed it will be fab thursday night TV, except for us it will be friday night - Survivor:China and Without a Trace! woo hoo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel: Emma is a barrel of fun for me. I am glad you are writing these down--you could never remember them. I am sending Mr. Ke a birthday remembrance--actually I am sending him an e-mail and sending him a remembrance to the Copper Coof the former Americrest. Count down for the Whittern visit--they are so excited they are tonguetied--as for us we wish we could see all of you. I think Emma must ber the smartest girl in the world. Nana

Anonymous said...

Dearest Rach...
Miss Emma is too funny! I don't know what Hello Dollies are..but your dad and I love them now just because of Emma's story. We are so thankful for Mr. Ke. I can just see him and Emma discussing all the things they would see at the wedding. As long as we have your stories and pictures, we can all SURVIVE your ASIA adventure! Happy Birthday, dearest Josh. I love you all...MOM