Tuesday, September 11, 2007

when bad things happen to very, very good people

Kaleigh Lynn.

I haven't ever met her, but I know someday I will. I'll comment on how her laugh was like her mother's, or how when she was thinking about something, she looked just like her daddy.

But I'll have to wait to meet her.

Her birthday, that day when she would meet the mother who carried her for so many months, was August 18. Two days before, on the 16th, her mommy and daddy went in for that last-minute, routine doctor's appointment. But the doctors couldn't find a heartbeat. Kaleigh's mommy and daddy heard the saddest news ever - they had lost her. Those moments - of holding her close, watching her eyes adjust to the new light, of maddeningly loud screams, and silent, almost inaudible nighttime breathing - were lost.

Kaleigh's umbilical cord was wrapped too tightly around her legs, stretched out too much, blocking the vitals. The good news is, kaleigh's mommy and daddy still got to hold her in her arms, still got to trace her face with their fingertips, to give those warm hugs that only mommies and daddies can give. Then, all too soon, they had to give her back.

Kaleigh's mommy and daddy are so faithful to the Lord, and their testimony about His love, strength, and peace to them has been strong and continuous. Truly, in their loss they are trusting Him with remarkable grace. But they are our friends, and we love them. We are far from them, as many of you were far from us during our loss. The only thing I know to do - and can do - is to ask you all to pray for kaleigh's parents, J and N, as a favor to me. Their local body has blessed and served them in the truest sense of the words, just as Christ commanded them. J has already returned to work, and N will stay home a little longer while she waits for what to do.

I don't know why these things happen. Well, I guess I do. One of my thoughts, mentioned before, is that I think I just assume that pregnancy equals baby. Maybe a lot of society thinks that way, maybe not. But I keep finding out - as my friends and I deal with hurt related to the loss of precious babies - that a baby is a miracle. A real, true miracle. No, maybe not like the kind we usually consider miracles because having babies is so commonplace. But, all the same, birth is miraculous.

You couldn't ask for better people than J & N. People who give, people who care, people who serve and love selflessly. Why thousands of babies are born every year to parents who won't love them, sacrifice for them, devote their souls to the upbringing of those little ones...while my friends J & N didn't have that opportunity? It stings my heart. Will you pray that God will give my friends J and N a miracle? I sure am.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, it is so hard to understand when bad things happen to people that we know to be good and faithful folks.
They are on our daily list for renewed strength and direction.

I have learned from watching Ian's mother that when very bad things happen to good people sometimes it is all about the way they respond to the situation and the message it sends to those around them that is important.

And as with many things of this world...we just do not understand the master's plan.

That's why it's called a walk of faith!
The biggest, daily challenge we face.
Love you much
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I am so sorry about the loss of Kayleigh Lynn. I will be praying for them and for you. Our dear friends, Dr. Gary and Cindy, had this very thing happen when I was pregnant with Holly and you were almost 6. You were in the car with me when I found out..and there was a horrible storm starting to brew outside as I picked you up from the daycare. They were remarkable and to this day...I always wish I had the courage to bring it up. Perhaps I will share this blog with them. They later went on to have 2 beautiful children. The older one is a year younger than KT..her name is Emily and she just went through rush at ou. I have watched their walk over the years as they both lost both of their parents years ago and their walk has been an incredible witness to me. Strength in the midst of the storm. I think when we do finally get the opportunity to ask..we won't..we will be so overjoyed at what is waiting for us. The reunion of those we've lost and the beauty and glory we will be experiencing..all our tears and questions will be changed to joy and praise. But, until then, we have each other and the body to walk with us and lift us up. I am glad than Kayleigh Lynn's parents have you and Josh and so many others who will come along beside and walk with them in this sometimes very, very painful journey. I love you...MOM

Anonymous said...

Rach,
It's been long quoted that only death and taxes are certain...and God told us Himself that He wouldn't save us from taxes ("pay unto Caesar..."), so that leaves both on the experience menu (and not only are the prices not cheap, there is NO plate sharing amongst the others at the table...although some of us DO get a senior discount). And as with any 'menu' (the analogy continues...) you don't always get what you order, and so often what you get is unexpected in taste, presentation and quantity. No, we don't know how long life on this plane (or 'plate') will last. In this case, it lasted a very short few months, but wholly spent very close to its mother, feeling her heart beat, her emotions...her love. What a great life...to go from that serene, safe place to one where there is NO NEED for light since HE is the light. None of us like it because we selfishly want to share the life we know with them...and they're saying, "No, I want you to come share THIS life with me." And thanks to the 'promise', we can all get together again for dessert in a place where there are no 'waffle irons, eight irons, or curling irons'! And we can put it all on HIS tab, since He paid the price!!! The analogy police can now go to bed.
Gee W

Anonymous said...

Dearest Rach: I don't know the date of this blog--somehow I am just now finding it on my computer (9-14-07). Honey, I am so sad to learn of your friends' loss. If God is omnipotent then He knows and He permits. That certainly doesn't mean that while you are going through great sorrow you can put that into perspective. When I was 23 and expecting Laura, my brother Phil was killed--died of the carelessness of airforce people who failed to repair correctly a heat ing system in the chapel lwhere he taught organ to the children of base personnel. Anyway he was 20 - and I lived thourh so much sadness myself as I watch my aging parents go through the loss of their youngest child. Do I know the whys? No, but I know that I learned much that winter and spring--in the depths of sadness. That was my first experience with losing someone I loved very much. God just keeps teaching us and showing us the way to complete faith and trust in Him. The truth is: we don't know how to really understand what people are going through unless we have been there ourselves. I love you and Josh so much--just stand by for your dear friends--I know you will. Love Nana and