so tonight is the other side's turn - guys' night. My husband and all his buddies are gorging themselves on BBQ at this moment, and then off to watch a football game. Probably not too far off of what he would have done in the states. Anyway...
that leaves me at home with my two precious, lovely, charming daughters. Hmmm. And a very nearly full moon. Another hmmmm. I thought it would be fun to change up the routine and do something unusual with daddy gone, so we ate dinner under a tent. Namely, the kitchen table. Yeah, we ate under the table. It was fun for a while - the girls truly thought it was unusual - but once the novely wore off, they thought dinner was over even though neither of them had touched thier dinner. I, of course, also had not touched mine because our tent was severely understocked for such a festive occasion and needed constant trips back to the kitchen to restock it. Mantha started fussin to get down. Emma insisted she had to go the potty. Mantha starts wriggling, almost falling out in her valiant attempt to escape. Emma goes to the potty and then determines that she will not, WILL NOT return to the tent to eat her still-untouched food. Hmmm. All this is done to the background music of continuous whining.
In fact, all day it seems there has been a steady dull stream of whining. And it wasn't like I was preoccupied today with other things and kept brushing them off. We had fun activities planned today, I had not much at all to do and was with them most of the morning, but on and on the whining went. We made paper-sack puppets, made up stories so our puppets could have some amazing adventure, sang and danced, played a color game...and the beat goes on. I blame it on the full moon. Seriously. There is no other explanation for such bizarre and unexplainable behavior today. So. Please, full moon, go away.
now it is almost 8pm, and the kids are in their beds (though emma is continuing her calls for everything imaginable - another story, her blanket is lost, she needs more water, you name it.) It's almost quiet and I still don't have much to do - except eat those peanut butter fudge cookies I made over the weekend. Yum.
There have been funny moments recently -
such as, when emma was asking us the names of the various creatures on Cars. Most of them we knew, but she kept asking us, "Who's that green guy?" After repeatedly admitting my ignorance and apologizing, she finally sighed, "You're not very smart, are you?" Oh dear. I don't know where that came from!
today in our morning bible story we read about moses and the israelites and how in the desert, God provided all their needs, like food and water and shoes. Later on that day, we revisited that lesson about God's provision with our paper-sack puppets. One of the puppets (my pig) needed a friend because there were no other pigs in his neighborhood, so he asked God to provide him with a friend. When God provided, I told Emma again how God will provide for all of our needs, because He is God and He loves us. She paused, munching on this new bite of information, slowly processing how all these people told God all the things they wanted. I told her we could ask God about our needs too. Thinking over the offer, she asked, "Well, what does God have?"
Samantha recently learned the rhyme, "One, Two, buckle my shoe" and loved finishing the last word of each of the rhymes. At dinner, emma would often say, "one, two, buckle my ....." and then wait for samantha to fill in the word. After only a few days of this delightful little trick, samantha is already quite proficient at - and tiring quickly - of the little ditty. Tonight, emma tried again, and samantha filled in "shoe!" before emma even got out "buckle"!
Truly, these funny things make it easier for me look forward to seeing them tomorrow morning and wondering what funny things they will do...but in the meantime, does anyone else love bedtime as much as me?!
6 comments:
Um, I think perhaps I qualify as someone who also loves bedtime, especially after naptime this afternoon was either excessively short or nonexistent, in Chloe's case. I should be planning this week's meals but instead decided to check your blog one last time . . . thanks for coming through for me, friend. Enjoy the peace and quiet!
Love,
Rachel
Rachel: Your blog reminded me of how we would feel so disoriented about bedtime for three little girls--and then, when we looked in on them later, we thoought what darling angels they were. Well, for certain, it helps to have t wo people doing bedtime. I have laughed over and over about Emma saying "You are not very smart, are you?" and also the statement about "Now what does God have." I think the next time you have duty all to yourself,you should try to keep the routine same and dull--but I can believe about dinner under the table. What we think we would be a great adventure ends up being a lot of work for us--and we didn't need to eat under the table to have fun. Have courage, my dear. Love and such--Nana
an emphatic "YES"! We love bedtime at our house... D and I have a later bedtime than the kids (obviously) so that we can get our bearings and wind down after the bedtime bonanza that occurs with 4 kids! Whew, right? You are doing a great job. Yay for nights out, too. I'm proud of you both.
Rachel,
I love checking your blog when I have time, and today's really hit the spot! I LOVE BEDTIME!!! (Almost as much as I love hanging out with my precious Kate all day.) But there is just something great about putting her in bed and knowing (hopefully) that she will stay there for 10-12 hours.
I was also laughing to myself about the pictures of the park in your previous post. Is that substance under the swings concrete? That's what it looks like, and I laugh because of all the playground safety rules we have here. I think if many people knew that our Little Tykes playset was on the hard GRASS and not something soft like mulch, they would make me take it down! Yet, you get to swing and climb right on top of the concrete. :)
Hope the full moon goes away soon!
Jayne
Ahhhh, yes the high-highs and low-lows that come in a single day of life with toddlers.
Rachel, what a fun mama you are! I would never have even thought of dinner under the table! I'm sure one day the girls will even more fully appreciate what a cool mom they have.
My favorite times of the day are bedtime and first thing in the morning wake-up time. :)
Much love,
Brigitte
When you were a little girl, you helped orchestrate many fun and interesting adventures. Sometimes we made a "palace" (which sometimes meant a tent over all the living room furniture and other times meant to just put mattresses down and have like a slumber party. At any rate, you and Dustin were a little older..like 7 and 8..and Holly and KT were 3 and 2. That way you had more people helping, etc. and meant more people bringing things to the tent. Dustin had endless energy and would get up for more things as often as needed. Plus..do you remember that statement I am so ashamed I made "sometimes" when dad would be on the road and everyone was hungry and tired after school/work. You all said, "What are we eating for dinner tonight, mom?" To which I replied, "Which drive thru do you want to go to?" But..even though I loved bedtimes for you all..when your dad was gone..once everyone was down for the count, I remember crashing onto the couch watching some mindless show and praying I had hidden brownie mix up high in the cabinets. The truth is...dad always made life with 4 look easy and it was..almost always...great fun! I love you. Mom
Post a Comment