Saturday, July 19, 2008

in defense -- a letter to katie

Dear katie, my youngest and most outspoken sister -

Could you really think that on your birthday I would forget you? that somehow a long-gone gymnast could replace the gymnast I helped teach cartwheels to on the grass of the lakeridge house? Give me some credit.

Would you believe that I was messing around with a future post and set it to july 19 on accident and posted it on accident? It seems sketchy, but it's true.

I have not forgotten you or your birthday. I would bet all my life's savings on the fact that I'd get an earful if I did. I have also not forgotten the funny childhood memories, the ones that stick out brightly in the recesses of my memory bank. I especially love the memories of making your pigtails, about presenting plays where you have to take your pants off under the table, and of all the many trips you made to the kitchen to get my water.

I'm sure that I could speak for the three of us in saying that having you as our younger sister has improved both the quality of our life and the quantity of our laughs. And now as you and holly clearly are not getting any younger, but instead are growing into young women who make us all proud, I have to remind myself to live in the present - that there are many more memories to be made with you all.

So on your birthday, happy birthday. We all love you so very much.

your oldest, most charming, and very wise sister,
Rachel

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I went to bed last night, I said to mom-- I gave rachel a hard time on her blog. She didn't even mention my birthday. Mom assured me you had not forgotten and when I woke up, there would be a post. I guess moms are always right. :) I was just playing with you anyway. I, too, remember all the same memories. We actually watched a home video the other day. It was one of the many plays you had us do but I do want to thank you for giving ME, the ONLY whittern with a speech impediment, all the lines with R's in them. I promise you every line I said, had some r word in it that I butchered. It made for some good laughs though. One of my favorite memories though is throwing stuff off the balcony at whatever company you had in the living room. OR getting up at the wee hours of the morning to have you french braid or put pigtails in my hair. :) You truly were the best sissy :) All growing up I had my eye on you and wanted to be just like you. Lets not kid ourselves, my eyes are still on you. Even halfway across the world. I still aim to be just like you. I have many things to work on though :) I love you very very much and want to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO. its actually your birthday right now. I LOVE YOU and THANKS FOR MY POST.

your lil sis who strives to be like you,

katie

Anonymous said...

one more thing... see if you remember this


said in a screaming tone....

ITS ALL AROUND ME... ITS ALL AROUND ME.....

WHAT IS KATIE????

MY BELT... MY BELT....

Kevin and Becky said...

Oh what a Hallmark moment! Does anyone else feel like they've sat in on an ultra-private exchange when they weren't supposed to be there? Like when people try to get engaged all romantically in a public place and you feel awkward for wanting to stare but you do anyway? Yeah, that's how I feel right now.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness. I knew you could never forget her birthday. How could you? Literally...the day before yours and the one who interuppted your 7 yr. old birthday party. I shall never forget. Of course, dad and the entire family and tons of friends were "there" for you, Rach. But, I must tell you...I felt guilty. There, I was holding my darling new little bundle of baby Katarina Dawn, and you did not have your momma at your party. :(
But..truly..just as now. You were a trooper. I got to watch the video and it appeared to me..that the whole party went off better w/o me and I didn't have to go into my normal freak-out mode of having people over. :)
Katie does look up to you and does adore you. Gee..don't we all? :)
It's difficult having your big sister all the way across the world..but somehow..you've managed with e-mails, blogs, and webcams to fill in the gaps. And..of course, you were there for her Wrestling Queen moment..and part of her graduation (I think you had to leave before she gave her speech..hmm..Emma came first and was crying.)At any rate, I can only say I am so happy I got to have 4 children..all who loved each other dearly and would do anything for the other one.
Do you remember Katie taking spankings for Holly because she didn't want Holly to get in trouble? Or, Dustin beating up the kid at La Petite that did something (I have no idea what)but it hurt your feelings. So..he punched him. That's a good big brother. And, one memory I have of Holly standing there with your Barbie's comb on her tongue(age 2) grinning while we begged her to let us have it. She obliged by gulping it down. You were so dear as she constantly followed you around saying, "Racho, can I play with you?" "Racho, will you play with me?" And, you did. You were a great big sister who did set a benchmark for many things for your baby sisters. Thank you so much, little one, for being that type of girl..one that has a pure heart and a willing spirit to always help others. I am such a fan!!
The best thing, Rach, is I'm a fan of the whole family. I feel so blessed. Sometimes, I think even though there were some challenges..I wouldn't do anything differently with any of you..except maybe have made you all take piano until age 18 or have Holly also continue dancing.
And, Dustin believes we should have had him in baseball..even though he refused to do it. He just wanted to stay home and play. Trampolines, nintento, the Opry, blizzard parties...why would you want to be in Little League???
Well, enough said. Happy Birthday, beautiful Rachel and beautiful Katie.
MOM

Swirl Girl said...

awwww, I love reading about my family. I love hearing memories shared between you all... I remember lots of them... cuz I was so dang old.