Monday, August 23, 2010

Ack!

So I was laying in bed the other night, belly sticking out every which way, and wouldn't you know...contractions started. We're a little less than two weeks away, and I'd been having some light ones here and there, but certainly not the type that make you even start to assume you're going into labor. These got filed under the "Annoying" heading, because I kept lying there awake wondering if they were going to keep coming or not.

They did. And there were several of such long duration and fairly high intensity that I - in the privacy of my dark room, unbeknownst to my sleeping husband - advanced into panic mode.

Ack! I don't have any diapers for a new baby!

Ack! The new baby clothes haven't been washed yet!

Ack! My house is a mess and my school room is still disorganized and I still haven't gotten current on Abby's shots yet and I still haven't chosen a pediatrician!

Ack! Ack! Ack!

Finally, I fell asleep and stayed asleep - further proof that true labor is still a ways away. But the next morning, I went to the store. Bought diapers. Washed clothes. Checked on a few pediatricians. Thought about organizing the school room.

It's starting to feel a little more real now, with the nightly contractions. Eventually, there's going to be a tiny little baby in my closet. [What's wrong with keeping a baby in a closet? It's a BIG closet!] Eventually that little guy will be wearing those clean "Daddy's MVP" shirts and "Dog-gone Cute" onesies all hung up on the racks. Eventually I can get rid of my maternity clothes once and for all.

And now, at least, I'm ready.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Ack, it's coming so soon! Can't wait to meet the little guy. In the meantime, put on some adult diapers, pee while still in bed and try and get a good nights sleep.

Brandon and April said...

WHA?! What if he comes while we're in town?! WHA?! how exciting. Well, maybe. But maybe just chaotic too. :) Not sure if the zoo is a good idea if you are already having contractions!

rachel said...

ha, april! That'd be so fun! But seriously, I think I haven't reached that too-miserable-to-stay-pregnant point yet, so I'm sure I still have the full two weeks left. We are SO excited to see you!!

Rachel said...

We're all about closet babies. Especially on vacation.

And yay for a little motivation! I could totally use some of that myself...but contractions might not be the best way to go right now.

Anonymous said...

Rachel: I am available to help in any way. So if and when you go, we are available to meet you at OU Med or whatever. I know you will think we are too old=but we are experienced. Love all of you so much. Nana

mlambchopper said...

Hey.."ACK!" is one of my fav movie quotes from "Mars Attacks." ;) It's such a silly, bizarre movie..but when your daughter is a zillion trillion miles away, WHAT'S a mother to do (well, besides praying and the chores)when she can't sleep??? "Mars Attacks," is your answer. Everything I say or ask reminds me of Family Feud. Quick: What are the top 5 things you do when you miss your firstborn daughter and even she's asleep? #1 Answer...Watch stupid movies when everyone in their right mind is asleep..and wouldn't watch that movie with you anyway. :)
Thank you for not having the baby while I was out of the state. All I can say is now that you are home..can you get your baby sister to come home???
I love you!
Mom
P.S. Guess what troopers would watch "Mars Attacks" with me..every stinkin time I watched it??? You got it! Holly and Katie