Friday, August 13, 2010

the florence nightingales

"Hurry, come quick!" I shouted at the girls. They were down the hall in the bathroom, washing up after lunch.

Our little backyard pool - yes, the pool again...because I have nothing else to blog about - has been a hot hangout spot for the birds recently. We also have scattered birdseed on the ground because, well....birds are very interesting to watch. If you're between the ages of one and five.

A little black bird was swimming around in our pool, making laps and fluttering all about. There had been birds getting close, standing precariously on the rim of the pool for several days, but no one had committed to splashing about yet. I knew the girls would be so excited; I was a little grossed out, but I'd already planned to dump that water before the girls got back in so I tried to mentally block out thoughts of bird germs.

They came running down the hall and smushed their faces up against the glass.

"He sure is swimming slowly, mama," Emma commented. "Can we go look at him?"

I agreed and they all scampered outside to get a closer look at our bathing bird. A quick inspection later and Emma reported to me that she thought he might not be able to get out of the pool. As we looked closer at the little guy, it did seem that he was having some difficulty.

They were under strict orders NOT to touch the bird until I got out there. I seriously don't care how cute he it. He will not be touched by a member of my family, thankyouverymuch. I searched all over for my flip-flops, wondering where Abby had stashed them in one of her bids to be helpful.

Unbeknownst to me, Emma and Samantha had devised a plan about how to get him out while still avoiding physical contact. They scooped him out with a watering pitcher that was nearby and laid him on the ground. The next inspection brought Emma, screaming and nearly hysterical, into the house.

"Mommy! Come quickly! He's dying! He's dying right now! You have to come!"

I was already on my way to the backyard, but Emma would have none of my dawdling. I arrived when the bird just might have been on the brink of death. It's true - he was shivering, chirping some pathetically moan-like chirps, and was opening and shutting his eyelids very slowly. It was a bit creepy.

Emma and Samantha were full of ideas. Put some birdseed in front of him. Get him a towel. Hold him close and snuggle him (an idea that was quickly nixed). Samantha ran to get a towel and we draped it over him. I very awkwardly tried to comfort him - he's a bird, but still...it must be in my maternal genes - and prayed he wouldn't die in my yard. Not only did I not want to deal with the melodrama that would surely ensue from such an event, I didn't want to have to haul a dead bird out of the yard. And since josh is out of town, that job would have falled to me. Yuck.

The doorbell rang, and my mom and sister were showing up to watch the girls while I had a doctors appointment. They got the lowdown on the bird-drama, and we all came inside to let the bird either recover or die in peace. Just as I was about to head out the door, I saw the bird gingerly take a few hops. I heard later that he recovered fine.

Seems like Emma and Samantha might have found a new calling in life.

4 comments:

Brandon and April said...

You could open up your very own bird E.R.! Of course, you'd have to have latex gloves in full supply so you wouldn't have to actually touch the birds! :)

Gee Whitz said...

Obviously, you had to wait until the 'bird brains' arrived, so they could communicate effectively with the little fella. I'm sure 'mom' had some appropriate medicine stuffed in her purse to reenergize the bird (or euthanize it, whichever was most appropriate). I suspect just the great fellowship had as they all 'flocked together' was a sight to behold. One thing we DO know...God was aware of it.
Matthew 10:29 ...and not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will.
Gee Whitz

Kevin and Becky said...

When I was little, a bird smashed into one of the windows at our house and died. I made my mom put it in a shoe box (not sure how exactly the transfer happened though...) and we had a little funeral for him in the back yard. I still remember it to this day.

mlambchopper said...

How happy am I to see that the bird story made THE BLOG. :) It truly was just an awesome experience to listen to the little girls..it was like reliving one of the pages out of the Lakeridge Run novels. I am truly blessed that you and Josh and all things "eggroll" are back in the great state of OKLAHOMA!!! I love you, Rachel.
Mom