There's a lovely shade tree in our backyard. It covers the entire yard in the summer and allows my children to play completely protected from the Oklahoma sun.
I never made the connection that a huge summer shade tree means a huge fall predicament.
One morning not too long ago, Josh looked out the window and said, "Rachel! You've got to come see this!"
It was the "it-snowed-last-night" voice.
Indeed, it had snowed.
Leaves. It had snowed leaves. Our entire yard was covered in leaves.
The girls thought it was delightful. They got out the rakes, the brooms, empty boxes - anything that could transport leaves from point A to point B.


I'm not exaggerating to say that leaves covered the ENTIRE ground. I know I've already said it, but it was remarkable. After a while of mindless playing, the girls decided to try to make a leaf pile. I think this idea was birthed after hearing Daddy's story about jumping in a pile of leaves when he was little. Apparently, his leaf pile had a slab of cement underneath...and Josh learned from an early age that dried leaves don't make much of a covering.
This is a picture of our leaf pile - it came up to Emma's waist.
I'm thinking our leaf pile must have been significantly larger than Daddy's...because our pile provided almost an hour of joy.
Pure, fall-induced, leaf joy.
Well...for most people it was joyful. It was a bit...er,...disturbing to Abby. She kept touching them and scowling.
But for everyone else?
Joy.
I'm still not sure how we're going to dispose of the leaves...but they sure bought me some cute memories.

I'm still not sure how we're going to dispose of the leaves...but they sure bought me some cute memories.
1 comment:
These girls are just beyond..adorable. Really!! I am such a grandmother...I not only think they are the sweetest, kindest, most beautiful, charming, brilliant,and well-traveled (just through that in as they have had no say-so on that)little girls on Planet Earth. And, Baby Sisey, same thing...but, in boy talk. :)
Post a Comment