Now that there's only a few weeks left before winter officially begins (December 21, if you're curious), soccer season is officially over. We finished up our last game, and had a pizza party last week to celebrate!
As a previously-non-soccer-playing-or-watching person, I have to say: I totally enjoyed our soccer season.
I loved being outside standing on green grass looking up at blue skies. I loved watching our girls try something new, something that required them to try their best and work hard.
I love that they had to run, sweat, and get out of breath. There's something about the working of the muscles and the scream for breath by the lungs that is good for the soul, don't you think? All you runners out there, don't you agree?
(Incidentally, I loved that I wasn't the one running, sweating, and getting out of breath.)
I loved watching them make new friends. I love how friends made on the soccer field turn into friends playing in the home. I love how friends made by kids turns into friends made with parents.
I loved watching Josh do something new. He's a man who thrives on challenges. He eats challenges for breakfast (or something equally ferocious).
I have learned that lumping Emma and Samantha together isn't always the best idea. This soccer season has taught me that I need to be more aware of their individual strengths, weaknesses, and needs. Close as they are, they are different and unique. I would be wise to treat them as such.
I learned that there's nothing cuter than a kid in uniform. Unless it's a whole team in uniform. That's just pretty stinkin cute.
One of the other soccer moms had this super cute cake made for the Ladybugs end-of-season party. I loved the soccer ball spots. She also made gift bags for each of the girls with soccer stickers, little toys, and - the big hit at our house - a flashlight. I'm not sure why my kids have suddenly become inseparable from their flashlights, but so it is.
Our family made little medals for all the girls, and had it "undefeated" written on it. Technically, its true - since the league doesn't keep score, we didn't actually lose any games. [The family members on the Ladybugs' sidelines did keep score, and we think we only lost two games. Not bad for a team full of first-timers!]
One girl couldn't make it to the party, but here's the final pic of Coach and Team:
And of course, I had to take another picture of the cake before it was sliced open. It was almost too cute to eat. You'll notice I said almost.
Emma loved playing soccer. Samantha loved being on a soccer team. I'm not entirely sure what our plans for next season are, but for now, we're so glad we became a soccer family!
2 comments:
Rach,
Cute, CUTE pictures! It looks like so much fun! I'm glad your girls were able to do this. Love the uniforms and the final cake was truly impressive. Hope it tasted as good as it looked!
Love you friend,
Rachel
Yes! I will respond on behalf of the "runners out there." Sweating is a good thing.
Post a Comment