Saturday, January 22, 2011

even less behind: New Year's Day

Part of the reason we didn't want our kids to spend the night at the grandparents house over New Year's Eve is because we're still continuing the tradition of New Year's presents.

With the one exception of Josh's Wii Mariokart game, we managed to hold them all in. It hardly mattered, though; the girls got so many presents from other people, they barely noticed we hadn't given them any yet!

We also tried to make sure we didn't overdo it on the presents gig. We picked out a few small things for the stocking, and a one or two bigger gifts we thought? knew? hoped? the kids would like.

After breakfast, Silas got in place to watch the action. He's growing into such a fab little guy.

Is it okay to call a guy fab?

Actually, I can't think of very many words to describe him, because once I start looking at him, I stop thinking. I usually just smile and sigh and make high pitched crazy-mom sounds to make him smile.
Abby went first. She got one big present - a Ming Ming duck from WonderPets. [Shhh...I got it at a garage sale for 25 cents.] It sings and spins and answers the phone to save the stranded animals.

In short, it's a big hit.
Emma and Samantha got some new outfits for the dress-up bin.

Snow Queen and Eskimo Princess proceeded to open up the rest of the presents.
Drumroll please....it was a Marble Race. (Carrie - totally stole that idea from you!)
We pulled down the stockings and said, "Everyone hold your stockings and smile at Mommy!"

Abby obviously had other plans.
Simple, consumable stuff - coloring books, cute bath soaps, socks.
Abby was so jazzed about her bath toys that she said, "Bath! Bath! Bath" about a million times.

I relented and started the bath water.
Meanwhile, Josh was in the living room relenting and starting assembly of the marble race.

It turned out well and was so, so fun.I feel like Josh and I struck the balance this year of a few, simple enjoyable gifts.

More and more, I'm craving simplicity in the way we live.

2 comments:

Michael & Autumn said...

I'm glad to hear we're not the only ones who put cute socks in stockings as part of their gifts! :) We had one of those marble race things back in the States. They are WAY COOL!!

Donna said...

What cute gifts! :) Silas makes us all do crazy stuff...anything...to make him laugh or just look at us!

We are all....pathetic.... we love Silas so much. :(
Meems