Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday Five

My friend Becky, whom I've already mentioned several posts ago, has the unfortunate distinction of knowing me when my hair was shorter and my socks were higher - but she does this cool "Friday Quick Five " on her blog.

I don't do a Friday five thing because I seldom have five things to say.

But tonight as I was washing dishes and thinking about my day, I realized I have five things to say - and they're all events from today. What are the odds of five interesting things happening to me on the same day? It must be a sign that I need to blog - ha! Here begins my first - and probably last - Friday 5.

1. The new 7-11 (the one that we drive by EVERY. DAY.) just opened this week. Bless their souls, they sent me some coupons and one of them was for a free Big Gulp. I have a feeling I'm going to love this 7-11. Anyway, the big girls and I dropped Abby off at her church class this morning and I excitedly asked the girls, "Hey, let's get gas at the new 7-11!" (I was secretly after the Coke.) They were so pumped about going to the new 7-11. Never mind that they didn't even get out of the car. They were THERE.

2. I discovered the Wonder Bakery Thrift Store. It's, uh, just down the street from me. And they have Ding Dongs for $2. Not that I have an unhealthy obsession with Ding Dongs; I'm just reporting the facts.

3. I dropped some stuff off at Goodwill today and noticed a sign on the door saying that the location by my house is closing. Saturday is their last day and everything in the store is 75% off. Does anyone in the blog world know how much my husband loves Goodwill? He finds some amazing deals! He bought a trike for the backyard - similar to the one we left in China - for $4. He's bought several Piper books and stacks of readers for the girls for 25 cents each. I keep going in there looking for a certain type of picture frame for a nagging craft project in the back of my mind, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. The hubster and I just might be having a date at Goodwill on Saturday!

4. On the way to pick up Abby from class, two cars in front of me nearly collided on the interstate. The whole thing happened right before my eyes, and it was very surreal. As I kept driving, the thought occurred to me how easily there could have been a huge wreck - but instead, both cars just keep driving to wherever they were going.

Just at that moment, a snippet from our family devotions (we've been memorizing the Westminster Shorter Catechism using this book) popped into my mind:
God's providence is His holy, wise, and powerful preserving and governing every creature and every action.

Just like that. Popped in there. So instead of breathing a sigh of relief that nothing bad happened, I joyfully praised God right there in my Tahoe for His amazing providence. In every little thing, God's providence is displayed. Truly, He is amazing.

5. While picking Abby from class today, a new teacher in the room commented to me about how smart Abby was. [Always a good moment for a parent, no? =) ] She told me that since it was her first day in class, she wasn't sure which lunchbag belonged to which child, but Abby to the rescue! Apparently, Abby showed her which bag went to each kid, and even correctly matched kids to their own sippy cups! Way to go, Abster! They all thought she was brilliant.

There it is, my first Friday Five.

7 comments:

sandra said...

yeah for goodwill!

Cassie said...

I love Goodwill too! Every 3rd Wed. of the month is everything 50% off. I went there after my Silas was born to buy pants that actually fit and got some great deals!

mlambchopper said...

It's life in the big city, I tell you. More fun and excitement than I can bear many days.
We will like that new 7-11, too, since it is right on our way to YOUR house & church. :)

Also, I believe riding in the car with 4 kids is/always will be...an adventure. What a precious crew chief they have & darling passengers. :)
We love you!
Momma

mlambchopper said...

It's life in the big city, I tell you. More fun and excitement than I can bear many days.
We will like that new 7-11, too, since it is right on our way to YOUR house & church. :)

Also, I believe riding in the car with 4 kids is/always will be...an adventure. What a precious crew chief they have & darling passengers. :)
We love you!
Momma

Kevin and Becky said...

Well, clearly it's not THIS becky who knew you with short hair and tall socks. But I'd be interested in seeing pictures...

Becky said...

The quick 5 is catching and I love it. Oh man, I am such a crazy 7-11 fan. We don't have them up here so I will have to live vicariously through you. Go often, you are drinking for the all of us...

Becky said...

And I can provide pictures of the short hair and long socks...