Monday, May 30, 2011

so we went to the beach.

If there's one thing that going to the beach will do for you, it's spoil you for reality. A week in balmy temperatures, of one-minute walks to the beach, of swimming and lounging and lazing and snacking - who would want to return to reality after that?

A few weeks ago, the incredible couple who masquerade as my in-laws took our family to Panama City Beach. Josh's parents manage their own business, have three other young children, and a host of other responsibilities - yet they put everything on hold to come and hang with us and our drama precious and well-mannered children.

In case you're wondering, Panama City Beach was gorgeous. We stayed in a gated community that was 20 miles away from what you usually might think of "Panama City Beach". It was quiet. Peaceful. Lovely. Landscaped. And, it was big. [Our beach house was a three-story place that housed all of us together. We were one big happy clan!]

The sand was soft, and the water was clear. I'd go back tomorrow if someone wanted to take me. Any takers?

Here are a few recaps from the trip...

Silas wasn't really digging the beach so much. Maybe the combo of sand and sun was a bit much for his wee little body. Or maybe it was the fact that once we got three other children and two adults dressed and sunscreened, it was already time for his nap?

The big girls LOVED it all. There was not a thing about the beach that they didn't like.

They built sandcastles. They buried each other in the sand. They jumped over waves. They swam in the calmer, deeper parts with Daddy. They found crabs in their holes. They watched tiny little fish get scooped up by pelicans. They were in heaven.
I'm not quite sure when Emma became such a little ham for the camera, but it's officially happened!
How was Abby, you ask? Hmm....
Abby didn't really like the sand so much either. It kept sticking to her feet and her legs and got on her hands - you know, the typical thing that sand does. She didn't like the movement of the waves, or how hard she had to walk to make it back to our beach chairs. She did not like it.

Josh's sister Kristen was able to temporarily soothe her with a joint venture sand castle. This just might be the only picture of her smiling anywhere near the sand.
It kind of put us in a weird spot, though - the big girls loved the beach, the little ones were not big fans. Fortunately, our beach house had a private pool as well, so one or two days I put the little kids down for naps and went to lounge by the pool [sit down for this] by myself. Josh stayed at the beach with the big girls, which was a huge fatherly sacrifice. Josh would generally fall in the Abby-category on the Beach Spectrum.

One day we switched jobs. I had the big ones (and Abby, until her big freak-out moment) at the beach; Josh stayed with Silas during a nap.
In addition to our private pool, the neighborhood had three community pools as well. These were bigger and deeper than our pool. These provided a nice break from the saltiness of the ocean. And we could steal Gigi's floaty raft!
Abby hit her stride in the pool. "Abby go big pool?" she'd ask us.

She didn't ever want to leave.
She must have jumped into the pool with Pappy a hundred times.
Good thing that Pappy loves her so much! [He didn't have the heart to say no!]
Before the trip was over, we all decided to rent a Pontoon Boat and drive it over to a nearby island. We'd heard that there were lots of great seashells there and shallow areas for young children to play in. It was a lovely place, indeed. We brought lunch and ate on the boat - which required a significant amount of logistical planning! Before we drove it back inland, Pappy and Josh decided that all the kids could drive the boat.

Samantha went first, and never really got over the euphoria that she was actually driving:
Emma was next and really got down to business - she was serious about driving that boat:
Even Abby got a turn! I think she giggled the entire time. She loves doing whatever her big sisters are doing.
Ha! Look, mom! No hands!
And we can't leave out Silas, right? That little man just steals my heart every time I look at him.
The boat was actually pretty big and very comfortable. It was a great little excursion, and we all thought it was worthwhile.


I didn't take so many pictures - pictures at the beach with little ones is tricky! - but I'm so glad I have these. Al and Debbie, we had such a wonderful time. Thank you so much for your creativity, generosity, and your time. I am so thankful to be in your family and couldn't dream of better in-laws. We've all got some wonderful memories stored from this trip!

6 comments:

Donna said...

Oh, I can see this was just the best time ever! So pumped you all got to do a family vacation like that! :)
Pappy & Gigi= too cool for school!
Love you,
Mom

sandra said...

LOVE the beach, but equally enjoy the pool option too.

Rachel said...

SO fun, Rach! You got some great pictures and I loved your descriptions of every child and their response to sand/water. How fun that you had the pool too, that really makes it for me! I can't believe how big Abby is! and Silas looks like such a little man. Totally an "eggroll," he looks just like you all! Fun times for everybody. Glad you made so many fun memories!

Jennifer said...

You make me want to like the beach so very badly! I think I could probably do it with a pool so close.

Also, my mom has been looking for a great beach house to rent in that area for all of our family. When you get a chance, would you mind emailing me with more info about the house? familymusings at gmail dot com

Rachel said...

That's awesome!! The private pool during naptime sounds dreamy. I didn't know y'all were so close to us during your vacation - relatively speaking, anyway!

Britton and Tara said...

So much fun! We're going to the beach in two weeks for two weeks! One week with Britton's fam and one with mine. I hope Caden has a good time...I was sad to hear Silas didn't have as much fun. So looking forward to what's to come...safe travels :o)