When we lived up north, we had chinese food for lunch every day and western food for dinner. It was an especially great arrangement because my house helper was completely responsible for lunch and did the bulk of the prep for dinner.
Our current house helper is night-and-day different in the personality department than our previous house helper.
Where #1 was boisterous and always had something to talk about, #2 is quiet and reserved. Getting information out of her is like a careful operation, with skillfully asked questions.
#1 loved all sorts of western food; #2 hates milk, cheese, and sugar.
One common trait they share though, is their willingness to learn new things. Our current house helper keeps adding lots of western snacks and dishes to her cooking repertoire! She even baked a cake at home for a relative's birthday!
Ok - off the personality tangent, back to the lunch/dinner discussion.
One surprising change from our life up north is the amount of Chinese food we eat on the weekends and evenings. A big reason for this is that our current house helper used to work in a Dumpling shop. That girl can make some mean dumplings! Their filling usually is a salty ground pork with cabbage and green onion.
And really - she does all the work. She makes them, freezes them, and leaves them in a ziploc baggie for me to boil on my own. It's like the asian version of a Tony's Pizza.
We eat dumplings once a week for dinner. That's one less dinner I have to make each week.
Amen.
The other interesting fact about her dumplings is that my kids love them. Even Abby, our resident meat-hater, gobbles them up. Tonight for dinner, she ate 16 dumplings.
I ate 12.
I'm glad she's getting her meat in some form at least!
Our house helper is becoming more and more indispensable to us. I can't imagine what my family would do without her dumplings (and the many other ways she blesses us each day)!


2 comments:
looks great, Rach! Glad there is something convenient for you in the land of no-frozen-pizza. Did I ever tell you that my girls have turned up their noses at frozen pizza? I made it a few times for lunch after we first moved back and the girls finally got to the point that they didn't want to eat it at all..."doesn't taste like your pizza, mommy." We literally live within 5 blocks of Little Caesars, Dominos, Pizza Hut, and Papa John's. So, we have given up frozen pizza and just very occasionally get the real thing. (though I haven't made it from scratch yet--isn't that crazy?)
Your dumplings look fabulous, though! Enjoy!
Love and miss you eggrolls,
Rachel
Love love love dumplings. I can't wait to eat them whenever we get there. When your househelper was walking by, we said hello to her like Kai-lan and she said it back and waived and smiled. It was awesome. We hoped she'd stop and look at us..we are too weird not to investigate, amen? :) Anyways, will be looking forward to meeting her in person.
Abby eating that many is hilarious. My friend, Ivy, fixes some mean dumplings as well.
I love you,
Mother
Post a Comment