It's another Sunday night at the casa de la Eggroll and I'm here in the school room getting ready for the week ahead. Yes, yes, I know today was January 1, but we're going to be hitting the books hard in January so we can take a worry-free trip the beach in February. Wahoo!!
I'm so blessed that we have a dedicated school room. I know that most people don't and they find creative ways to make the space work for them. For us, the school room has given a great outlet to the (seemingly) unlimited creativity of my older girls. I'm always finding treasures they've created, notes they've written, projects they're working on.
If I don't try to tidy things up every so often, this room will get overrun by projects! So Sunday nights are my "Spring Clean" nights in the school room. And even though I really dislike this job - do you know how many bits of paper fall on the floor while my kids play with scissors? - I always, ALWAYS end the job with a smile on my face because of the things I find.
For example, in tonight's cleaning alone I found:
-An invitation from Samantha to Silas to attend a sleepover where "at midnight we will have fun movies, hot coco and please bring books!" So sweet!
-One of Emma's homework sheets covering past and present verbs; on each sentence she's required to write "past" or "now" to describe the time of action. On the sentences "Christians do many things to serve God", and "I told my friends about Jesus too" - instead of writing past or now, what do you think she wrote? Forever. Because we should always be doing that. Love that girl!
-A list of instructions for Emma (written by Samantha) for while she's dog-sitting her toy puppy:
1. Comb her hair with a big ponytail!
2. Dress her.
3. Put her boots on.
4. Put her on your desk.
- A chart made by both of them to detail how many times they've been to Disneyland, complete with princess stickers to mark each box.
Most of these little treasures get thrown away, but I do try to save the sweetest ones.
In other school news, my friend Sandra encouraged to write my own math curriculum, Math-U-Eat so I thought I'd take her up on the offer! (haha, just kidding!) We did have another lesson of edible math the other day when it came to measurements. Did you know gummiworms here are 2 inches long?
And we're starting Silas on a reading curriculum too, because it's never too early to foster a love of reading.
(ha! again, only kidding - but aren't those pics of him with the book too cute?!)
Hope your New Year's Day was fun and filled with anticipation of how God will be faithful to you in this coming year! Who can imagine what He might have for us? Let our faith in His goodness bring Him glory today!




3 comments:
Oh..what sweet stories to start off the New Year. Bravo, darling girl, for all the things about the children. I assume Abbers is just being our precious Abby...being curious and precocious about all things interesting? We are sending another box with more things to keep her that way. Unfortunately, most things for her were in the upcoming box. :( Planning and looking forward to seeing you in the not too distant future. Quit thinking it's not a reality...God does control our future...but, he also delights in our requests and the true desires of our heart. :) xoxo
Mother
Rach: Your blog always lifts my spirits way way up. The stories about the kids are delightful. From your blog I assume you have a separate room for school. That is wonderful, honey. Many things to tell you but will save them for a letter. I saw Kim at Holly"s reception--she's just the same. I could just squezze that Silas. Nana
Oh how I loved hearing this glimpse into the eggroll home school arena! I also am feeling like I'm always having to reign in the "projects"--papers, illustrated stories with elaborate stick people, various constructions built of craft sticks and construction paper and too much glue--it's hard to throw away but must be done sometimes! Love to all you eggrolls and I'm so amazed and impressed with your discipline in home schooling! Keep on!
Love you,
Rach
Post a Comment